By hunter2
#98655 I'm afraid I don't understand the point of adding this music. I just don't know what you're going for here. It doesn't feel like minecraft music (which would be superfluous anyway), it doesn't feel like pokemon music, and it doesn't feel like a mix between the two.
By IceMan8030
hunter2 wrote:I'm afraid I don't understand the point of adding this music. I just don't know what you're going for here. It doesn't feel like minecraft music (which would be superfluous anyway), it doesn't feel like pokemon music, and it doesn't feel like a mix between the two.

Wow, even i know that the music Zee is making is based off of the original pokemon music and I never really played the games or watched the shows. Take this for example:

ZeeCount wrote:Here's a short piece.

https://soundcloud.com/chrisgeddes/a-simple-moment-by-the-sea

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG57tjQTtBY[/youtube]
By SPG
#98667 Hate to break it to ya ice, but lugia's song is the only one that is like pokemon, all the rest are just songs he made
By IceMan8030
SPG wrote:Hate to break it to ya ice, but lugia's song is the only one that is like pokemon, all the rest are just songs he made

I haven't really listened and payed attention to the rest of them he has made lol. But the one I linked I knew right away was Lugia's song. Either way I personally like some of the music he has made I just don't pay a lot of attention to it.
By hunter2
#99175 That one is also a slight international copyright problem a la "Ice Ice Baby"/"Under Pressure" or "All By Myself"/"Rachmaninoff no 2" except probably even more so because it doesn't change the purpose/intent of the work (I.E. Pokemon song for a pokemon mod rather than Rachmaninoff symphony based love song or rap song based off of a rock song.) (Yes, the key was changed, yes, the trills at the end are slightly different and yes, the backing chords have different harmonies - but no copyright attorney would hesitate going after it.)
By ZeeCount
MrMasochism wrote:Yeah we've been debating removing it

Yeah, from the next update of Pixelmon the piece "A Simple Moment by the Sea" will no longer be in the mod. When I originally made this it was a nod towards the lugia theme for one of the other developers, but because I do not own the copyright for the piece, or have permission to produce a cover of it, we (Mr M and I) have decided to remove it from the mod.
By PokeWillpower
ZeeCount wrote:

Yeah, from the next update of Pixelmon the piece "A Simple Moment by the Sea" will no longer be in the mod. When I originally made this it was a nod towards the lugia theme for one of the other developers, but because I do not own the copyright for the piece, or have permission to produce a cover of it, we (Mr M and I) have decided to remove it from the mod.

Not sure how to feel, I don't know about everyone else, but that song played for-freaking-ever on my part, and it's not even a long piece...

It doesn't help that it played whenever I was in the desert. @-@
By hunter2
ZeeCount wrote:

Sorry for causing such a hullabaloo. To be fair, there's quite a few more legal concerns but trademarks are a bit more lenient than music copyrights~
You don't have to ax the piece completely, you could do what you did with Apteryx's Theme relative to MGS (don't think I didn't notice, you little rascal) and just play a different melody - could even just keep it in a minor chord, why not? (Though rather than what sounds like Vienna to me, I would suggest Symphobia 2's "legato flute" sample with close mic+tons of reverb to get that lugia feel - maybe add an low volume "legato low whistle" behind it to get that more Irish feel.)

Speaking of minor chords, I almost completely forgot what I originally asked about in this thread - the other music doesn't feel like pokemon/minecraft music, man.
Pokemon: Kids game, Japanese, Usually happy/bouncy, lots of marches (at least what I would call a "march", you should know what I mean), centered around bleeps and bloops, Major chords everywhere, battle themes are power chords (though implied major chords) using chromatic dissonance to build tension - rarely if ever minor chords (Find me a minor chord in this, go ahead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_YMW54XtjI, Lots of counterpoint
if Junichi Masuda (the old pokemon game composer) wrote it, it's VERY child-friendly, lots of major chords, lots of scales, lots of descending base notes that fit to major chord patterns, especially that one Pacabel's-canonesqe pattern that Japanese game composers seemed to love for a while in low bit music (Examples: 1 2 3)
If Shota Kageyama (the new "main" pokemon composer judging by soundtrack credits) wrote it: Either along the lines of Masuda's (kidfriendly, happy, bouncy, etc) or he seems to like RnB/Funk/"Jazz" (I don't just throw that word around) a lot - don't know what's up with that lately. Still tons of major chords

Minecraft: Minimalist, seems centered around piano, heavily relies on already existing samples (1 2 3 ), made to build atmosphere and has very little compositional merit but sounds nice, originally just placeholder music by a friend of notch's - but like the graphics that were supposed to be updated - was kept as is for preserving the atmosphere of minecraft.

Your music: Adventury (Very full, not minimalist at all), key changes out of nowhere, based around minor chords, seems to be centered around woodwinds (you're a flautist aren't you?), feels a lot like this, ii-IV-I-V everywhere (I'd like to point out, starting on a minor chord), generally feels a bit like you sat down and said "I need to think of something that feels desert-y" and that was it, one melody per section of a song, some songs have two unrelated melodies that don't seem to lead into each other, one song (think it's the night one) reminds me of a merger between the my little pony theme and the guitar part in this, which is very confusing - let me tell you, orchestrated like an arrangement to be played by a live orchestra - not like it was arranged to sound great using sample libraries.

I still like your music - really. Don't get me wrong here. But I don't understand how this all comes together.

P.S. If you're going to insist on using LASS ensemble patches as a pad (P.P.S. stop that - not what it was designed for at all) at least layer Expressive (trilayer, Full volume)+Sordino (full volume)+Tremolo (10%-25% volume), will sound much better than a single patch. That being said, just layer that behind single sections at REALLY LOW VOLUME, to add a sort of fullness feeling to what you should be doing with single patches from each section of strings having their own parts. (I also recommend putting Symphobia 1's Ensemble string patches (Exp+sordino, not tremolo - 5 things loaded in kontakt in total) at slightly lower volume - makes it feel even more full if you have it.)
JOIN THE TEAM