How Fossiltastic is this model?

82%
8%
N/A
4%
6%
By Haunts
#6602 :D, side project to work on at school, it's omanyte.

By Nickthelegend
#6603 wow its nearly perfect excepting the slight swirl problem did you freehand the curve?
By Haunts
Nickthelegend wrote:wow its nearly perfect excepting the slight swirl problem did you freehand the curve?

yes, need help or some tool to help make it
By Haunts
#6607 ok now he's Fabulous Image
By Tom_X
#6611 Looks good to me, can't really see anything bad about it
By karrybird
#6618 my main gripe with this little guy is mainly the texture.
the thing that really bothers me the most is the blue you used, it's way too much of an eyesore and doesn't go with that tan at all. try using a lighter, duller blue instead, it's easier on the eyes and looks much nicer in the long run. :)
it's also way off from the original artwork.

the eyes also look a bit creepy with their flat coloring, add a little highlight and give him some life! and as i've said before, refrain from using pure black! it's just an ugly color to work with and almost never looks good anywhere. D:

i could go on if you'd like about the tiny things that bug me, but i think i'm starting to sound a bit mean with all my criticism... XD

i personally do like the one that's in the mod now because it's pretty cute, (though it needs an hd texture) but that's just me. :)

overall the model itself is ok, but do we really need to replace the one in the mod now? (i mean since we still need others to be done first before we can move on to better generations)
By Haunts
karrybird wrote:my main gripe with this little guy is mainly the texture.
the thing that really bothers me the most is the blue you used, it's way too much of an eyesore and doesn't go with that tan at all. try using a lighter, duller blue instead, it's easier on the eyes and looks much nicer in the long run. :)
it's also way off from the original artwork.

the eyes also look a bit creepy with their flat coloring, add a little highlight and give him some life! and as i've said before, refrain from using pure black! it's just an ugly color to work with and almost never looks good anywhere. D:

i could go on if you'd like about the tiny things that bug me, but i think i'm starting to sound a bit mean with all my criticism... XD

i personally do like the one that's in the mod now because it's pretty cute, (though it needs an hd texture) but that's just me. :)

overall the model itself is ok, but do we really need to replace the one in the mod now? (i mean since we still need others to be done first before we can move on to better generations)

It's not a flat black, it's just the lighting on the sreen, but I understand what you mean, changing the color of the skin, and I just didn't really like the one in game all that much for some reasons, also karrybirde, could you perchance give a fiew tips on texturing? I've never been good at it.
By Haunts
#6624 And thus, from the info from the little bird, Omanyte quit his smoking habits, and was soon healthy again! Image
By MrMasochism
Haunts wrote:And thus, from the info from the little bird, Omanyte quit his smoking habits, and was soon healthy again! Image

The shell's a bit too green and the blue could use a little more shading
By karrybird
Haunts wrote:It's not a flat black, it's just the lighting on the sreen, but I understand what you mean, changing the color of the skin, and I just didn't really like the one in game all that much for some reasons, also karrybirde, could you perchance give a fiew tips on texturing? I've never been good at it.

ah, sure thing! i actually was planning on making a tutorial for modeling and texturing sometime in the future anyway :)

first thing, never stray too far from the original colors. omanyte has a pleasing color palette, very light tan, and very light blue. they go perfect together!
so, now that you have the two base colors, what i do is lay them on the areas flatly. once there i add shadows (a slightly darker and duller color) and highlights (a touch of a lighter color or sometimes white) but only where necessary.

on here, the top parts of the shell would be the base color, with a touch of highlight on the top, no shadows here. now the bottom of the shell is where the shadows go, very little base color, no highlights.

now, the swirl is actually indented into the shell, so there are going to be shadows along the bottom following the curve for parts of the way. this gives more of a 3d impression rather than the flat colors which look like a perfectly smoothed stone drawn on with a crayon XD

once i get the highlights and shadows defined, i go back with a color slightly darker than the base color and brush in a slight texture so it doesn't look flat :)

i think that about covers it for now, any other questions?
JOIN THE TEAM