Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By ErusPrime
#57490 I don't really have the time to help out but as far as mechanics are concerned, take a look at the way private WoW servers handle things. They don't make it necessary to get the good stuff but make it a quick way to max level or get a better item you'll eventually sell.

Or, set up a pixelmon server specifically for those who donate and keep the shop. As long as you create a world that people actually want to play in (honest admins and no griefing) you should have no problem maintaining the cost of those servers and development.

By mudge6
ErusPrime wrote:I don't really have the time to help out but as far as mechanics are concerned, take a look at the way private WoW servers handle things. They don't make it necessary to get the good stuff but make it a quick way to max level or get a better item you'll eventually sell.

Or, set up a pixelmon server specifically for those who donate and keep the shop. As long as you create a world that people actually want to play in (honest admins and no griefing) you should have no problem maintaining the cost of those servers and development.

0.0 THATS AN AMAZING IDEA!!! i might donate for that
By Jakky89
MrMasochism wrote:
Jakky89 wrote:Sorry, I tried to help out with server/php/database development but it looks like you don't need my help because you just deleted what I wrote about that (there were more then 8 pages).

If I deleted a post by mistake in the 8 pages of nonsense then I'm sorry. If you'd like to help out you are welcome to

Okay when you like I could write a JSON-API-Prototype for the owners/developers (50%/50%) rewards system that can be used with mods like pixelmon. Also I could bring up a sample shop system where you can e.g. buy pokemon or items.
By theSens
#57656 I'm not an expert into backend programming, but i would really like trying to help and learn from it.
What i consider problematic though, is that Minecraft normally has no Server interaction like the one you mean to have.
What i mean is, you would have to somehow sync a db file in the mod with the db on the server wich i'm not sure is possible with Minecraft.
Anyway, i would love to help at least with thinking and ideas.

At least i could do some HTML and PHP work for the Shop.
A good idea would be to have one guy for the Shopsystem and Page and one for the Client/Server connection, as it will need some Java coding as i see it now.
Also the idea one guy had, making a Server with a special map (?Pokemon "M"MO, how amazing would that be?), is great and would decrease the difficulty of coding significantly if it doesn't even make it possible.
By mudge6
ryancpexpert wrote:I have 3 Ideas:
-Donating certain amounts gets you certain amount of pokemon.
-Cooldown so you can't spawn frequintly.
-3rd Idea, Cape + 1 of the other Ideas.

that wouldnt work
By MrMasochism
theSens wrote:I'm not an expert into backend programming, but i would really like trying to help and learn from it.
What i consider problematic though, is that Minecraft normally has no Server interaction like the one you mean to have.
What i mean is, you would have to somehow sync a db file in the mod with the db on the server wich i'm not sure is possible with Minecraft.

The getting information from the online database is dead easy and I will do that work. It'll just require a php file that I can post to to recieve the information required
By X_Amilious_X
#57734 so why don't you just have your mod check an SQL database on your website If you can make a mod connect to a sql database let me know. Store the minecraft id (username) and the pokemon id (id of the pokemon). Then just read the database for USERNAME and update their "/saves/worldName/pokemon/" + USERNAME + .comp if it does not contain the pokemonID add it. This would give them the pokemon in every pixelmon game they play. or if you want it to be a one time thing after you update the first time delete the database row. I suggest the latter because it would be less lagg. or even better just give them a small java app that will change the file when its ran. you could make different jars for differnet pokemon. then give them the jar after donation.
By theSens
The getting information from the online database is dead easy and I will do that work. It'll just require a php file that I can post to to recieve the information required

Doing it like that we will need some encryption in the php file.
But definetly doable :D

PS: If you want me to help you, Steam: high_sens
By Jakky89
MrMasochism wrote:The getting information from the online database is dead easy and I will do that work. It'll just require a php file that I can post to to recieve the information required

I can confirm this.

To prevent multiple code (e.g. for establishing database connection) you simply could put the connection functions in a separate php file stored in a special directory and include it everywhere you need it. Database credentials (username/password etc.) have to be in a directory outside the webservers root directory so that nobody else is able see it directly (when e.g. the php engine stopped working and plain text is showed instead of the script gets executed).

Developing a database layout could be a little bit tricky. When you don't do it right then you could get strong performance issues when handling lots of data that is e.g. not indexed right or bad structured (because of the table layout). But when you figured out a perfect database layout for your further application its damn easy to fetch data and insert/update/delete something (with the right SQL-queries). When you do queries over multiple tables you could use INNER JOINS etc. and everything is just fine.

X_Amilious_X wrote:so why don't you just have your mod check an SQL database on your website If you can make a mod connect to a sql database let me know. Store the minecraft id (username) and the pokemon id (id of the pokemon). Then just read the database for USERNAME and update their "/saves/worldName/pokemon/" + USERNAME + .comp if it does not contain the pokemonID add it. This would give them the pokemon in every pixelmon game they play. or if you want it to be a one time thing after you update the first time delete the database row. I suggest the latter because it would be less lagg. or even better just give them a small java app that will change the file when its ran. you could make different jars for differnet pokemon. then give them the jar after donation.

Thats horrible. When there are many hundret servers around the world and you need to provide offers and track payments on a central site from customers around the world to split the earnings to the server owners on the one hand and to the mod developers on the other hand you can't do everything on the owners servers or even on the players clients because it's ugly to organize and trace payment routes (to prevent cheating and/or corruption of sensible payment data).

So the best way is to have one (or better more) root/virtual servers and/or a cloud (for load balancing) and you need to get a website running for offers/payments and a database for registering servers using e.g. pixelmon (identified by a random key that is generated when starting the server) and tracking buy/payment transactions. Last but not least you need to provide an API (I would prefer to use JSON - JavaScript Object Notation) to be able to provide the functionality between the mod (pixelmon) and the rewards service that can be accessed from every server that e.g. uses pixelmon.

X_Amilious_X wrote:Doing it like that we will need some encryption in the php file.
But definetly doable :D

Nope. Because PHP is a serverside scripting language you don't really need to encrypt something when there is only one developer or developers that know each other working on it and nobody else has access to it (it's normally the case). The PHP script is executed serverside not on the clientside like e.g. JavaScript. Only the output (mostly HTML) is provided then to the end user but not the script itsself (hopefully).
You only need encryption when you e.g. want to sell your php scripts and don't want that someone else can steal/use the code elsewhere.

You can have it simple or complicated but when you want it complex/complicated and with lots of extra special functionality it takes a lot of time and it's not sure that it ever gets ready. So lets talk about what is really needed and how it could be realized.

I have to say that I only have little time but already successfully integrated e.g. payment systems like paysafecard and PayPal in some projects. Also I wrote many custom scripts (php/javascript), json apis and developed/using own performant and optimized (mysql) database layouts.

Also I would suggest to not use OOP but functional programming in scripts because it's likely OOP makes many things more complicated then they need to be (especially in smaller projects) and tend to decrease performance because of objects that need to be constructed every time on every request (in PHP).
JOIN THE TEAM