By MissingNoL
Il_Lupo wrote:I'd suggest using slanted cubes instead. Staircase cubes aren't very easy on the eyes :(

Very good so far.

Thank you. But slanted...? I'm not too sure of what you meant, so I only did a little as so to make sure I wasn't doing the wrong thing.
Spoiler:

By SPG
#48662 look at graveler to get a good idea on how to do it
what you could do is just make a "ball" with 14 sides and 4 holes that you fill in with a transparent texture, you would be making a cube, and then slant them at a 45 degree angle, and you would end up with 4 holes that you can easily fill up, it would look the best and it would make the most sense with what you are trying to accomplish, because what you have right now is a bit of a mess
By MissingNoL
SPG wrote:look at graveler to get a good idea on how to do it
what you could do is just make a "ball" with 14 sides and 4 holes that you fill in with a transparent texture, you would be making a cube, and then slant them at a 45 degree angle, and you would end up with 4 holes that you can easily fill up

I looked at Graveler (and Gengar, since they're similar), but I could not understand how it was made, so I went with your ball idea.
I didn't really understand your instructions too well, so I made it in a new file as a test. I count 14 sides and four holes; is this what you meant? And how would I go about filling these holes?
Spoiler:
By MissingNoL
#48820 Before I start adding the other bumps, is this going to be a good size and location on it's body? I'm also worried that since the blue ball is in the center of the 'sphere' that it won't rotate with the rest of the body if the body spun on its z-axis.
I'm also not sure the holes would be filled. Is it one big piece for each hole that I will texture to be transparent later?
Spoiler:
By MissingNoL
SPG wrote:Can someone explain how to fill the holes, i'll just confuse him/her

I think I've found it for myself here. The post in question is Edeodin's; he talks about a method he used on Parasect. Is this perhaps what you meant?
Also, as for the rotation in the last pic I posted, should I try to have the rotation points set in the middle of the body or in the center of the 'sphere'? I've read that the latter (not having a universal point for rotation) can overcomplicate things with animating, but the first method sure is a long and tedious process.
By lugiaisbeast101
Spoiler:
MissingNoL wrote:
SPG wrote:Can someone explain how to fill the holes, i'll just confuse him/her

I think I've found it for myself here. The post in question is Edeodin's; he talks about a method he used on Parasect. Is this perhaps what you meant?
Also, as for the rotation in the last pic I posted, should I try to have the rotation points set in the middle of the body or in the center of the 'sphere'? I've read that the latter (not having a universal point for rotation) can overcomplicate things with animating, but the first method sure is a long and tedious process.

It would be better to have all the points in one spot, so the center of the body, it make animating this model easier. Of course, it's not an absolute requirement (if I'm not mistaken) for some of the more complicate models, but this should be easy enough to do as you have already started doing the rotation points.

Also, yes for your first question. You use a 1 block thick shape, extend it to your liking, place it to the appropriate place, then texture only one side and delete (making it transparent) the rest of the parts that stick out. You could have done this for the base in the middle of your model, but it seems you've chose the more complicated route :)
By MissingNoL
#51195 I was a little sidetracked with my birthday and partying for a few days, probably going to get back to work on this today or tomorrow. Probably going to make the model a little thicker and lower the position of the ball.
By emerald_ice
#51204 I can't make round things in Techne for squat. So, I gotta say, this is great so far. I hope we get more Steel types in Pixelmon soon!
JOIN THE TEAM