Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By jaxy73
#40129 ok so this might have been asked many times but im sorry but where are fossils, i read the commonly asked questions and they said around like 20-60 in gravel patches but somewhere else i read they were on the sea bed. which one is right?

By KuryoZT
#40245 It's the first one, 20-60 in gravel! (around those numbers at least)
By Rarity
#40426 Fossils are beyond incredibly rare. I've only ever found 2 fossils. One in the ceiling, nowhere near a gravel patch, and another in a gravel patch. I usually hunt them at layer 40 since it is between 20 and 60. There is no "Best way" to hunt fossils. Finder Compass would work, but because Fossils are in the 4000 range, it won't track them without crashing. You could reduce the Id of fossils down and then Finder compass would track them, but it would mean regenerating your world.

Personally, I got sick of it. After leaving with over 1000 Thaumcraft Elemental Shards and Trips back and forth with 128 stacks of Cobblestone, I just Creative moded the fossil I wanted.
By karrybird
Rarity wrote:Fossils are beyond incredibly rare. I've only ever found 2 fossils. One in the ceiling, nowhere near a gravel patch, and another in a gravel patch. I usually hunt them at layer 40 since it is between 20 and 60. There is no "Best way" to hunt fossils. Finder Compass would work, but because Fossils are in the 4000 range, it won't track them without crashing. You could reduce the Id of fossils down and then Finder compass would track them, but it would mean regenerating your world.

Personally, I got sick of it. After leaving with over 1000 Thaumcraft Elemental Shards and Trips back and forth with 128 stacks of Cobblestone, I just Creative moded the fossil I wanted.

true that they are beyond incredibly rare, i do actually find a lot of them. (albeit far and few in between)
being the fossil gym leader on a server i play on, i must find them! already got half a legitly found team! :)
JOIN THE TEAM