By zorakirby
#38886 So, I thought I would do some modelling for this mod (hopefully having it actually get used) and thought I might as well start off with some of my favorite Pokemon. I was originally going to set up an OBJ file parser in java, but as of this update using OBJ model files for Porygon and the evolution rocks, it seems I don't need to do that. This is done in Blender, not Techne, but since Blender can export OBJ files, it should be fine.

Anyway, the only member of Snorunt's evolution line that I currently have done is, well, Snorunt.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/255 ... norunt.png
I hope this works out! :)

By SPG
#38903 we havent gotten porygon to work yet, so... ya....
i have to remake porygon, but i cant because i am no where near my desktop, nor will i be near it for another 2 weeks, so i may tell mr. m about your model just to make sure it works, the problem isnt putting it in game, thats easy as shown by the rocks, the problem is animation, so i'll ask mr. m about this
By zorakirby
#40108 I noticed that after I tested deleting the porygon model files in the zip : no crash like you would expect. I tried renaming my snorunt obj to icyrock.obj and using it to replace the icyrock for test purposes and I got an error parsing the faces: the coding expected 4 faces, but only found 3 (snorunt is basically a cone, so it's got triangles instead of quads near the top).
Are the faces using an Arraylist of vertices(or any other type of Collection)? I am working on a mod, and I have an Object parser in it (It's actually Turbo Model Thingy, which is now Nitro Model Thingy, which is super-outdated, so i had to sorta update it myself, thought I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to release the updated version myself).
That Object parser uses an Arraylist of vertices, can either be size() = 3, or size() = 4, and it gets a Tesselator Object too. It works like this:
Code: Select all        if(verts.size() == 4)
        {
           tessellator.startDrawingQuads();
        }
        else if(verts.size() == 3)
        {
           tessellator.startDrawing(GL11.GL_TRIANGLES);
        }
        else
        {
           tessellator.startDrawing(GL11.GL_POLYGON); //Not sure when you would even want anything other than 3 or 4, but oh well, it's there.
        }

so, that will also probably need to be fixed

For now I will probably try modelling Glalie, then (my favorite) Froslass.
Hmm, I'm wondering - is there a preference for the way in which a spherical model is done? I know that Voltorb is basically a voxel-sphere, but then graveler has planes/cubes arranged in such a way that it emulates a UV-Sphere. Does it matter which way I do it?

Edit: Here's a screenshot of the Snorunt model loaded in-game (using my mod) just for demonstration. I just told one of my entities to load that model instead of its normal one, temporarily, and since that entity is a floating entity, that's why the snorunt model is floating in mid-air
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/255 ... Ingame.png
By SPG
#40113 Also long as it looks like it was made in techne, it is fine, so i would just give it like 5 segments or something, as for everything else, i'll show mr. M and he can fill you in
By zorakirby
#40115 I decided that I think I'm going to go with the voxel-sphere method. And, because of that, I just realized I should probably know the equation for minecraft units to pokemon size.
as in:
1 full block = 16x16x16(pixels) = how many feet/meters, pokemon-wise?
I ask because the cuboids making up the sphere should probably be about 1 "pixel" per "step". I wonder if I'm explaining this right. Let me know if I'm being confusing. :)

Edit: While that equation would be still be useful, I think I may just go with twice the size of Snorunt for Glalie (Glalie actually is almost exactly 2x Snorunt's size), and leave the scale factor up to the programming later on.
By zorakirby
#40823 Well, I just spent the whole day trying to get Cube mapping (reflection type stuff) working with lwjgl, since I noticed that Glalie has a reflective appearance in Pokedex 3D, and I thought that would be cool...

all that happens is the model renders completely white - And I've read all the forums/tutorials on setting up cubemapping! (well, top google results, but those pretty much explained everything) UGHHHHHHHHH!
Do we have any lwjgl super-experts here?
By zorakirby
#41168 GAAAAASSSSSPPPPPP!!!!!! :shock:
I GOT IT! :o
Cubemapping! :D
I had a SINGLE variable wrong! :oops:
2 and a half days! :roll:
.... If only i had checked the value of GL13.GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X sooner, I would have realized the loop was starting at the wrong place, therefore, one side of the cubemap wasn't getting applied, so I guess OpenGL just handles it by using a completely white cubemap.
Nevertheless, I and (assuming this gets implemented) everyone making models for pixelmon now have access to simulated reflections via textures! yay!

I will model Glalie now, and use my cubemap on it.
By SPG
zorakirby wrote:GAAAAASSSSSPPPPPP!!!!!! :shock:
I GOT IT! :o
Cubemapping! :D
I had a SINGLE variable wrong! :oops:
2 and a half days! :roll:
.... If only i had checked the value of GL13.GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X sooner, I would have realized the loop was starting at the wrong place, therefore, one side of the cubemap wasn't getting applied, so I guess OpenGL just handles it by using a completely white cubemap.
Nevertheless, I and (assuming this gets implemented) everyone making models for pixelmon now have access to simulated reflections via textures! yay!

I will model Glalie now, and use my cubemap on it.

please keep this in mind, we still have no clue if we can even animate these models in minecraft yet
By hotburn101
#41232 where are his feet
JOIN THE TEAM