Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By ChaoticIntake
MrMasochism wrote:All this is very interesting but spg was right that the tail was bad. I don't have time to be personally critiquing models in the model feedback thread so I tend to rely on others to do it for me but if that seadra had come to approval looking like that I'd have sent it back so we do need to make sure that the negative comments are heard. Part of the issue is also the number of people trying to boost the number of posts in their account by just going to model feedback and typing "this model looks great". It gets rather irritating partly because it's so transparent

I'm not saying don't eliminate negative comments on the site. I'm saying it should be possible to make them less negative. There's no reason to bash someone's model with no explanation, but that's not saying that there's no merit in a "hey, this isn't how it's supposed to look, try this instead" post.

My point is that in leaving a comment containing criticism, surely there has to be a better way to do it than flaming the user for their attempt, or flaming a supporter for their support.

Also, I do agree that the postcount mining shouldn't be happening, but I think that goes without saying. Any sort of comments, no matter what they're about, need to have some kind of substance to them. Whether that's saying "hey, good job, I really like what you've done with <insert specific model part here>", or "hey, this was a decent attempt, but here's what could be improved".

Nobody needs to be nasty with their feedback around here, but that's not saying that you don't have to be overly nice or sappy in any way. There's a good middle ground to delivering feedback, at least in my opinion. It's possible to be critical of an attempt made, while still remaining positive about the fact that the user tried.

By KuryoZT
#22477 In one word, sugarcoating, that's what you want right? Technically giving feedback in such a way, that they'll almost love you for it he? (ok it's exagerating (?) a little, but I find no other way to put it)
edit: it seems my vocabulary is worst than I thought, forget what you just read.
By ChaoticIntake
KuryoZT wrote:In one word, sugarcoating, that's what you want right? Technically giving feedback in such a way, that they'll almost love you for it he? (ok it's exagerating (?) a little, but I find no other way to put it)

No...I just said I didn't want that. If you sugarcoat criticism, it's eventually going to make your feedback invalid, because someone will catch on eventually that you're giving false praise, and then no one will take you seriously. You shouldn't need to sugarcoat to give good feedback, because proper constructive criticism is all about pointing out the flaws in someone's work while making sure they realize that you don't think any less of them for it.

So no, I want nobody here to think I mean to sugarcoat things.
By Tom_X
#22887 Well, I agree with Chaotic. SPG might be a little harsh sometimes, and it can be quite scary. But Jack, no one can issue you a warning without a real reason, if other mods don't agree with it, the'll take the warning off you. Moderators are not for censoring; as long as you don't insult other people, you can almost say wathever you want, if it's appropriate.
And, KuryoZT, no one needs sugercoating, criticism can be done in much better ways, like "I like what you did there, keep up the good work", or "I don't like those ears, but the rest seems fine". There, you're not sugercoating it, and you're saying what the model should improve.
By Lettucecow
#30842 hmm... i agree ive only been on the forums since feburary so i haven't seen much but when im looking at models 90% of the time i see a general negative vibe in the comments. Its like people are trying thier hardest to make a good model but some people are just going a bit to far with the critisism
By lugiaisbeast101
Lettucecow wrote:hmm... i agree ive only been on the forums since feburary so i haven't seen much but when im looking at models 90% of the time i see a general negative vibe in the comments. Its like people are trying thier hardest to make a good model but some people are just going a bit to far with the critisism

That is kind of annoying also, and sugar coating is far to obvious and makes he person feel that they are not being taken seriously. As you said, many people react differenlty to comments given and eventually leave depending on the severity of the comment. I hate giving feedback without an explanaition, wheather its why I like iit or why I don't. For the moderators, they are somewhat serious people, and serious people give serious feedback. It may be fustrating at times, but what they say are mostly true, wheather people like it or not. I honestly don't give a crap if someone says something negative about me or anything I do, but when I give feedback, I take into consideration of how the person feels when posting, and the mods should do the same. At least give your opinion with explanation more often then less, it helps certain people a lot. Sorry for any grammar mistakes as I don't really like typing on this handheld device.
By pokedit
Rados wrote:Sorry Skibb and SPG, but I'll have to agree with the guy here, there were some really rude and unhelpful comments in that forum, that really makes the Modeler feel un-motivated and as we can see, lots give up completely from modeling and pixelmon. But, yeah, there are some people that post "great job" and similiars, that has the same effect on the modelers since it doesn't help them at all

Ya i Agree but We Cant have models like my Victini its still rude to be all like the model like crap etc. but everybody starts somewhere so its good to see what others can do their 1st 2nd 3rd mabey 4th and try to see how we are all progressing and im sure the modelers that have have models in the game just had/has a lot of time and art experience it Just Takes time to get that one model. Always Practice Makes Perfect . Some Peoples dont have as much time as others so ya Thats what i Have to say
JOIN THE TEAM