By Skibb
#23648 It's not just you. Black is black and doesn't look bad on every model.

By KuryoZT
#23655 I thought karry didn't just hate black, I read her posts more like "black contrasts too much with the rest".
So in umbreon's case, it should be all black, with dark yellow, not yellow with dark grey, something like that.
Black is also my favorite color, but it doesn't blend well with others.
By Jack_Attack12
#23671 wow, i remember this! Tbh i think black goes and the heads a bit to small, try making it a bit bigger,
By karrybird
kungfumidget wrote:Personally I like black, its literally just me on this one.... I re-texture umbreon to black cos umbreon isnt dark grey

no..umbreon should not be all black...
you can make it close to black, but pure back just looks awful. even on an umbreon.
this right here just proves that it isn't supposed to be black. and look how well the two colors go together.

i do hate black being used on models, but that's not why i mention it in my criticism.
if you have light colors surrounding the black areas, it will contrast waaaay too much with the lighter colors. so making it lighter to even out the textures is the best way to go with light colors like on this beldum. you don't have to lighten it too much, just enough so it doesn't pop so much.

conversely, if you have dark colors on the model, like in the case of the sunkern that was posted here, an off-black would be better for those eyes since any lighter would be swallowed up by the dark colors on the rest of it.
By kungfumidget
karrybird wrote:
kungfumidget wrote:Personally I like black, its literally just me on this one.... I re-texture umbreon to black cos umbreon isnt dark grey

you can make it close to black, but pure back just looks awful. even on an umbreon.
this right here just proves that it isn't supposed to be black. and look how well the two colors go together.
Spoiler:

i do hate black being used on models, but that's not why i mention it in my criticism.
if you have light colors surrounding the black areas, it will contrast waaaay too much with the lighter colors. so making it lighter to even out the textures is the best way to go with light colors like on this beldum. you don't have to lighten it too much, just enough so it doesn't pop so much.

conversely, if you have dark colors on the model, like in the case of the sunkern that was posted here, an off-black would be better for those eyes since any lighter would be swallowed up by the dark colors on the rest of it.

There are many different pictures that depict umbreon as a different darkness for example here

Spoiler:

He looks black. Although admittedly he probably is more slightly lighter its just my opinion

I personally think that umbreon should be black because its a night pokemon and I just dont think dark grey looks good, I changed the texture everytime I download the pixelmon update because of this.
By SPG
kungfumidget wrote:
karrybird wrote:

Spoiler:

There are many different pictures that depict umbreon as a different darkness for example here

Spoiler:

He looks black. Although admittedly he probably is more slightly lighter its just my opinion

I personally think that umbreon should be black because its a night pokemon and I just dont think dark grey looks good, I changed the texture everytime I download the pixelmon update because of this.

your example is rather poor, when you look at him moving his ears, the shading is black, but he is dark gray, when he jumps he is black but again, shading
By kungfumidget
#23756 Oh it doesn't matter I'm just saying he looks IN MY OPINION much more cooler black and that black doesn't look that bad on some models where as I see black being removed from every model
By karrybird
kungfumidget wrote:Oh it doesn't matter I'm just saying he looks IN MY OPINION much more cooler black and that black doesn't look that bad on some models where as I see black being removed from every model

it doesn't look bad on ALL models. like i said above, off-black works with models with darker colors, not at all with light colors.
it just happens that all the models i've seen on here where i mentioned the color choice just don't look good with black. if it looks fine with it, i don't mention anything at all.

and i still think umbreon looks like shit being pure black, regardless of being a dark type or not and despite it's name meaning (umbra being the darkest part of a shadow) but that's just not how the official art depicts it.
(the anime isn't canon by the way, they make very poor color choices more times than not.)
By kungfumidget
#24093 haha sorry I was quite tired last night when I post that, I can totally see what you mean, but anyway I can tell what you mean.
By LightAdept
#24156 I like how this turned into a discussion about black and has nothing to do with my model since i already said i'll make it a dark gray when i get that chance....
JOIN THE TEAM