By Amnail
#174618 The non-webbing of the tail needs to be way thicker.

I know this isn't an official image, but it does a nice job showing just how thick.

By FelisVulpes
#175053 Thanks for the input, but there are a few reasons I decided not to make the fin-skin 3D.

1. I'm really worried about the face-count, as it is currently approaching 2500, with near 5000 tris.
2. It's not necessary for the model, unlike the pectoral fins, in which the 3D is important to establish the shape.
3. I didn't come across a single piece of official art in which the fin-skin was a thick substance, or that it folded. I want to keep the model as faithful as I can.
4. In the real world, even on fish that do have fins that are able to fold and pleat, the membrane is still very thin. Gyarados' tail is much more like that of a koi carp, not a shark.
By Amnail
FelisVulpes wrote:Thanks for the input, but there are a few reasons I decided not to make the fin-skin 3D.

1. I'm really worried about the face-count, as it is currently approaching 2500, with near 5000 tris.
2. It's not necessary for the model, unlike the pectoral fins, in which the 3D is important to establish the shape.
3. I didn't come across a single piece of official art in which the fin-skin was a thick substance, or that it folded. I want to keep the model as faithful as I can.
4. In the real world, even on fish that do have fins that are able to fold and pleat, the membrane is still very thin. Gyarados' tail is much more like that of a koi carp, not a shark.

Just saw your post. I wasn't talking about the webbing, but the middle part, I guess tail part. Maybe should have been more clear. Either way you seemed to fix that area in the update.
By bvanseghi
#179508 The very tip of the tail is a V. it shouldn't be there. Should be a point, and a little shorter.

Body is not compact, too thin. Maybe make the segments closer and a bit thicker?
Note, when you do this, the indents between the segments shouldn't cave in too much. it should be a little indent, not a trench :p

Model is 7/10. Almost there!!
JOIN THE TEAM