By SPG
Nxtech wrote:I'm not mad at your criticism, I just think that I have a completely different preference when it comes to models. I like things to look sharp and clean with all of the edges of blocks to be perfect at all costs while you are better at just forgetting all the barely noticeable imperfections. I should probably work on that but anyways I'm still going to stand by my model this time. I just personally think it's better in this case. In the case of your archeops (I think that's what it's called) it is better to have the little imperfections because it adds more than it detracts. However, I think that with the nidoran, a simpler look with less overlaping blocks and 3D ears would greatly improve it overall. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I think that with the nidos, simple is far better.

well, im not trying to be a dick or anything, but trust me, you want to drop that thought right now because we will never add it into the mod (sorry if this came out rude, i just had no other way of wording it)

By karrybird
Nxtech wrote:I'm not mad at your criticism, I just think that I have a completely different preference when it comes to models. I like things to look sharp and clean with all of the edges of blocks to be perfect at all costs while you are better at just forgetting all the barely noticeable imperfections. I should probably work on that but anyways I'm still going to stand by my model this time. I just personally think it's better in this case. In the case of your archeops (I think that's what it's called) it is better to have the little imperfections because it adds more than it detracts. However, I think that with the nidoran, a simpler look with less overlaping blocks and 3D ears would greatly improve it overall. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I think that with the nidos, simple is far better.

definitely agree with spg, looking like it is, it won't be added in the mod, no matter how much you prefer the simpler style.
By Edeodin
SPG wrote:

well, im not trying to be a dick or anything, but trust me, you want to drop that thought right now because we will never add it into the mod (sorry if this came out rude, i just had no other way of wording it)

We're not calling you out on your modelling style. The problem is the proportions are off as it stands. That's why it won't get approved. Not because you didn't take Karrybird's approach or my approach. The proportions are everything.
By Nxtech
#14664 I know it wont be approved that's why it's not in the approval thread.

When I get back from my trip I'll remake it.
By Nxtech
#14684 Oh another question I have is do you have to use techne or can I use 3DS Max if I find a way to export to .java format from it.
By Edeodin
Nxtech wrote:I know it wont be approved that's why it's not in the approval thread.

When I get back from my trip I'll remake it.

Oh of course, but I mean 'down the road' approval. You can keep it simple, but it has to be cleverly done to convey the form. Just as an example, your Nidorina has too much forehead with just one block. Breaking the head down a little more into... say one or two blocks would go a long way in this case. No need to go all out trying to get the form spot on, but again there is a point of too simple.
By Nxtech
#14716 I'm just going to wait and see if I can use 3ds max before I do anything more because I think that techne shouldn't be used for this mod. It seems like what people want are models that very closely resemble the pokemon but they're trying to do that using duplos (oversized toddler legos) and so the outcome is honestly very low quality. If we were to use a professional 3d modelling program then we could make very high quality models that closely resemble the pokemon while still retaining that minecraft look which I think is the most important part of doing any type of mod. When I make a mod for skyrim, it has to fit in for it to work otherwise its just out of place and forgotten. It doesn't matter how awesome your model may be, if it doesn't fit in it doesn't work, and so in a game where everything is made of sharp and clean graphics, having these jagged and rough models should be unacceptable. Techne wasn't designed to create detailed models yet you guys are still trying to do what it can't and the outcome isn't good. This mod could benefit greatly from not using techne.
By SPG
Nxtech wrote:I'm just going to wait and see if I can use 3ds max before I do anything more because I think that techne shouldn't be used for this mod. It seems like what people want are models that very closely resemble the pokemon but they're trying to do that using duplos (oversized toddler legos) and so the outcome is honestly very low quality. If we were to use a professional 3d modelling program then we could make very high quality models that closely resemble the pokemon while still retaining that minecraft look which I think is the most important part of doing any type of mod. When I make a mod for skyrim, it has to fit in for it to work otherwise its just out of place and forgotten. It doesn't matter how awesome your model may be, if it doesn't fit in it doesn't work, and so in a game where everything is made of sharp and clean graphics, having these jagged and rough models should be unacceptable. Techne wasn't designed to create detailed models yet you guys are still trying to do what it can't and the outcome isn't good. This mod could benefit greatly from not using techne.

no, you cant, i have been working hard to get a real 3d modeling program to work with this, so far, we hve only gotten so far to inserting objs into the game, and daes, but it doesnt matter, we cant animate them, so if you can find a plugin that can export them into a minecraft format, send it to me, if nto, dont bother and work with techne

oh and, the out come isnt good when we try to make good looking models? BULL SHIT! karry and omerta put tons of effort into those models, and they look really good, effort is a huge factor in this, the more you put into it, the better it is
By MrMasochism
#14756 SPG is right. I spent a large number of hours this week looking into the feasilbility of bringing 3ds/maya models into minecraft with proper animation and basically came to the point of saying the work required would be too large. It would require a re-write of minecraft's rendering system or building a completely separate one which would handle physics, materials and mesh deformation, something that (of course) the minecraft renderer doesn't do. On top of that, the extra load that would put on the renderer may well then cause the game to be unplayable for a large number of our users.

In terms of work, I'd estimate 3-4 months of solid work on it to bring that to fruition, 3-4 months where nothing else would get done.
By Nxtech
#14858 SPG, I didn't mean to say that modellers like karry and omerta don't put effort into their techne models, I just said that no matter how much effort you put into a techne model, it will never look as good as a model done in a professional modeling program. You can't deny that. Also what type of filetype is preferable for minecraft use so I can look for a plugin.
JOIN THE TEAM