By Jack_Attack12
Xwaffle wrote:I like it now that you've put work into it. I say you submit it for approval :)

Agreed :D I like this model, goes great with the Pre-evolution!

By Nxtech
#13953 How do I submit it for approval? I know about the approval thread but it says to have the model and textures dropboxed first. How do I do that?
By Jack_Attack12
#13955 Put it for approval, when its approved you get invited to a dropbox and it you put it in, only if its approved
By karrybird
#13958 are you guys nuts? this isn't ready for approval!!!
it doesn't even look like a nidorina yet.

the head is still one big awful block. if you want this approved, please add detail.
the ears should have spikes on them, i'd suggest making one big block and texture the ear shape there manually with transparency and such.
the spots aren't supposed to be purple, they're supposed to be dark blue.
the hind legs should be bigger relative to her body size
the spikes on the back are also just long blocks, build them up so that it looks like its bigger at the bottom and pointier towards the top. kinda like how you did the tail.

it's great for your first model, but please consider what i said, then you can submit it for approval :)
By Nxtech
#14122 I've remade this model so many times and with techne, its not always possible to make something look clean and sharp and also a perfect high poly model. If you want the spikes on the back to be larger then they just become these horrible looking overlapping rectangles. Same with the head. want it round? It will just end up looking like a jagged oval with edges sticking out everywhere. Believe me, i've tried to make this model look like a replica of what is shown in 3d pokedex and it doesn't work. Also in my opinion, a high quality model simply looks out of place when put into minecraft. In a game made entirely of 3'x3' blocks, a high quality model just doesn't fit. Also, the leg dots change color depending on what picture you look at. Its either purple-blue or purple and after trying a bunch of different hues, I believe this purple looks the best. If you want high poly models, find a way to use 3ds max files and ill make some perfect replicas but in techne, its not possible so I'm just going to stick to clean and sharp rather than round but jagged.
By Nxtech
#14123 If you want, I can post some pictures of a Larvitar I began making in the "High Quality" style but decided to stop because of these reasons stated above. It shows pretty clearly why Techne can't be used for HQ models.
By SPG
Nxtech wrote:If you want, I can post some pictures of a Larvitar I began making in the "High Quality" style but decided to stop because of these reasons stated above. It shows pretty clearly why Techne can't be used for HQ models.

there are many reasons why we shouldnt even use techne for anything.......
By Omerta
Nxtech wrote:I've remade this model so many times and with techne, its not always possible to make something look clean and sharp and also a perfect high poly model. If you want the spikes on the back to be larger then they just become these horrible looking overlapping rectangles. Same with the head. want it round? It will just end up looking like a jagged oval with edges sticking out everywhere. Believe me, i've tried to make this model look like a replica of what is shown in 3d pokedex and it doesn't work. Also in my opinion, a high quality model simply looks out of place when put into minecraft. In a game made entirely of 3'x3' blocks, a high quality model just doesn't fit. Also, the leg dots change color depending on what picture you look at. Its either purple-blue or purple and after trying a bunch of different hues, I believe this purple looks the best. If you want high poly models, find a way to use 3ds max files and ill make some perfect replicas but in techne, its not possible so I'm just going to stick to clean and sharp rather than round but jagged.

I'm going to try and reiterate what karry said and make it a bit more understandable. First, I don't think she said anywhere in her post that it needs to be more round. She just said it needs to not be one huge block. And since she gave the criticism, I'll use her models to illustrate this point. I know Slugma won't be in game for a while, but look at how a fairly amorphous Pokemon turned into a great model without being a high poly model:
Spoiler:

What she is saying is that the head in your model, which is currently one big block, should be broken up (intelligently) into smaller ones to give it more shape. Here's another one of her models as an example:
Spoiler:

Now when she talks about the ears and the spikes, I think the most helpful thing here is going to be to point you to the most recent Nidorino model that was posted:
Spoiler:

See how the ears use blocks with a flat block and transparency to draw on spikes? That's what she is talking about in reference to the ears on your model. You could also enhance the spikes on the back by taking note of what that Nidorino did. In fact, look at how that model is built to get an idea of how you could improve yours. There are some colliding blocks in places, but I think that overall it does a great job of arranging blocks to get proportions right.

Of course you're also going to need a really good texture to get this model to where it needs to be, so definitely look at those examples I gave. You've done a good job so far, but I think with some of these improvements you could make an amazing model.
By karrybird
Nxtech wrote:I've remade this model so many times and with techne, its not always possible to make something look clean and sharp and also a perfect high poly model. If you want the spikes on the back to be larger then they just become these horrible looking overlapping rectangles. Same with the head. want it round? It will just end up looking like a jagged oval with edges sticking out everywhere. Believe me, i've tried to make this model look like a replica of what is shown in 3d pokedex and it doesn't work. Also in my opinion, a high quality model simply looks out of place when put into minecraft. In a game made entirely of 3'x3' blocks, a high quality model just doesn't fit. Also, the leg dots change color depending on what picture you look at. Its either purple-blue or purple and after trying a bunch of different hues, I believe this purple looks the best. If you want high poly models, find a way to use 3ds max files and ill make some perfect replicas but in techne, its not possible so I'm just going to stick to clean and sharp rather than round but jagged.

ok, it sounds like you're getting mad at me for pointing things out.
quite honestly, you're right, high detailed models look out of place in minecraft, but you know what? this model would look out of place among the other highly detailed models in this mod.
you can still make it look like the pokemon with out going all out on detail, just look at my models for example. they aren't overly detailed, yet they still look like the pokemon they're supposed to be for the most part.

p.s. thank you omerta for summing this up quite nicely :)
By Nxtech
#14162 I'm not mad at your criticism, I just think that I have a completely different preference when it comes to models. I like things to look sharp and clean with all of the edges of blocks to be perfect at all costs while you are better at just forgetting all the barely noticeable imperfections. I should probably work on that but anyways I'm still going to stand by my model this time. I just personally think it's better in this case. In the case of your archeops (I think that's what it's called) it is better to have the little imperfections because it adds more than it detracts. However, I think that with the nidoran, a simpler look with less overlaping blocks and 3D ears would greatly improve it overall. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't and I think that with the nidos, simple is far better.
JOIN THE TEAM