By Nom Lexip
#11180 Thought I'd try out Techne and give it a whirl...

All I have to say is shit, it takes forever to make fricken' anything... then again that's not too different from other modeling programs, ha.

Spoiler:

I'll appreciate any feedback or critique. Even harsh criticism, don't care... I'll put it to good use somehow.

I'm learning this as I go and creating this all ridiculous time consuming for me... but I'll put in the work to finish it if the mod devs need a nido male still.

By KuryoZT
#11212 looks awsome, maybe the stomach down and another pike/thing on the side, maybe it's just me, but there should be 3, small/big/small. But since the small ones disappear, doesn't really matter.
It's a Techne first? O.o, I tried to model, but I couldn't do anything! Awsome man
By lakeyja900
#11282 I agree with Jack, It looks amazing, but it will look better once you add the texture
By Yaseen
#11288 Looks promising but it will probably look much better with a texture
By Nom Lexip
#11405 Updated with a new progress.... when I am done for sure I'll add in the right legs but for now it's just a 2-legged nido, lol.

Spoiler:

I improved the torso and edited pretty much everything else. Tried to give him cheeks and a more masculine jawline but it looks weird with the lighting.... Probably will look better once textured.

What else needs work? I'm still not happy with the legs. I can't get them looking good. Any suggestions? I'm starting to realize I might have made him too small.... a larger scale (and comparatively smaller block sizes) could have helped a lot. But I can't help that without completely redoing the model from scratch, more or less.

And yes, to the guy who was asking, this is my first model in techne, or in any modeling program, really.
By karrybird
#11424 his legs are too thin, the chest also looks way too thin as well.
like i mentioned on the other model, nidoran has cute, stubby little legs. these are more long and gangly than they should be.
i also suggest making the horn thinner also, and pointier if possible. and i would make the ears one, flat large block so that a texture for the ear can be drawn on instead of piled on with more blocks.

the spikes on the back also look way off, kinda hard to see, but maybe there aren't enough of 'em? yeah that might be it. there aren't enough of them in the right places. take a look at that other nidoran model, the spikes were in the right place and the texture for them was great as well. maybe just drawing them on manually rather than blocks would look a little better in this case.
By Nom Lexip
karrybird wrote:his legs are too thin, the chest also looks way too thin as well.
like i mentioned on the other model, nidoran has cute, stubby little legs. these are more long and gangly than they should be.
i also suggest making the horn thinner also, and pointier if possible. and i would make the ears one, flat large block so that a texture for the ear can be drawn on instead of piled on with more blocks.

the spikes on the back also look way off, kinda hard to see, but maybe there aren't enough of 'em? yeah that might be it. there aren't enough of them in the right places. take a look at that other nidoran model, the spikes were in the right place and the texture for them was great as well. maybe just drawing them on manually rather than blocks would look a little better in this case.

The problem is (as I mentioned in my last post) is that I made the model too small, so I can't make the horn thinner, or the legs thicker, without them being TOO thick/thin. The horn is 1x1 wide, so its impossible for it to be thinner, and the legs are 1x1 as well, so making them 2x2 leads to them looking way too huge.

While I agree with your opinions and wish I could make the changes you suggested, I really would not be able to fix them unless I started again from scratch. It's really my fault for starting small to begin with.... its my first time using Techne, and I figured since Nidoran Male is small I should start small. Now I realize that this was a mistake.
By karrybird
#11433 oooh that is a problem then..
all i can really say is this and well, you might not like it, but i think starting over and going much much bigger would be best, 'cause remember the models can be shrunken in code, so go as big as you'd like if you do decide to start from scratch, it'll allow for much more detail and the result would be great in the end. :)
JOIN THE TEAM