By Kharon
#77378 Here's my first attempt at Eevee. I'll try to texture it tomorrow, though depending on how busy work is, I may need a few days to get to texturing it. It is already full triangulated (though if you prefer a quad mesh I can do that)

Final Models
Spoiler:
Eevee - Normal Texture:

Eevee - Shiny Texture:

Latest Update
Spoiler:
Vaporeon base model progress:

Original Post
Spoiler:
Front Ortho:

Side Ortho:

Top Ortho

Bottom Ortho

Perspective

Total polycount (tris) is 938 for the whole model with the mane. Some can be removed in a refinement pass so the body and mane aren't full objects, if necessary, and I know already that the muzzle should be dropped down lower. Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated.

By fosterd
#77395 me personally i think the tail needs to be bigger and fluffier and it has hairs on the top of its head and the sort of chest hairs need to be bigger
Attachments
pc-eevee-610x719.jpg
more like in this
By fosterd
#77396 the head needs to be more rounded and it does not have much of a snout so dont stick it out like that
By Il_Lupo
#77414 Wow, this is really impressive for a beginner (just assuming, sorry if I'm wrong, I'm terrible with remembering names.)

Here are some things you can change to make it look more realistic and more Pokemonish at the same time:

- Can't use smooth shading, use subdivide smooth as much as you can without getting too detailed instead.
- Eevee's muzzle doesn't project so far, and its ears are like a rabbit's; bigger than its head, but fairly thin. Need to lengthen dem ears!
- Merge Eevee's head down a bit and build up the fluff into big fluffball tufts rather than a shaggy collar. Let Eevee's chin poke out a little, but make it look almost smothered by cute.
- Eevee toes don't project so far out, they're more like toed stubs that it stands on. You need to give the hind legs rounded, squishy hindquarters.
- Make the legs at least as thick as each other, hind legs might need to be a little thicker than the front ones.

And that's about it so far. I love the tail, it looks perfect!
By fosterd
#77423 the tail is not big enough ilupo its to thin come on look at how puffy it is in the pic
By Il_Lupo
#77444 That pic has a crazy tail. I don't really agree with you, sorry.
By SPG
#77445 First of all, dont use fan art as a refrence, second of all, everything gets converted to triangles before it gets put in game, so ya
By Kharon
#77450 I'm not a beginner as a modeler, but this is my first attempt at making a model for this community. I usually work at higher polygon levels, too, so this was a fun challenge, and I hope to finish it satisfactorily. Thanks very much for the advice -- I'll do my best to incorporate as many fixes as possible into the next pass of the model which will definitely get done on Friday. I might be able to do it sooner, but Friday for sure.

I did build it with quads, I just figured I should triangulate it to make sure the shape stays goo when triangulated -- every once in a while, you want the longer edge instead of the shorter edge from a quad that gets triangulated.

As for reference and a list of fixes I expect to implement:

• The ears are about the same length as the head in this official piece.
  • The ears should be more diamond-shaped with a distinct point.
  • The mane should be much puffier, and does not wrap around the torso, just the neck.
  • The neck shouldn't be visible through the mane.
  • The tail should flare out a lot more, at least vertically. However, it's not quite a flared cylinder -- it nearly is, but it's slightly taller than it is wide.
  • The torso should go lower, the head should be larger, and the muzzle should take up less height and protrude less.

The model as it presently exists used only mental reference. In the next pass, I'll be referring to as many modern official references (Gen3+ Sugimori and pixel art) as I can to fix the proportions and shapes. I am still curious, though, about target polycounts -- sub-1000 isn't bad, but is it good enough for Pixelmon?
By Pro_Malti
Kharon wrote:I'm not a beginner as a modeler, but this is my first attempt at making a model for this community. I usually work at higher polygon levels, too, so this was a fun challenge, and I hope to finish it satisfactorily. Thanks very much for the advice -- I'll do my best to incorporate as many fixes as possible into the next pass of the model which will definitely get done on Friday. I might be able to do it sooner, but Friday for sure.

I did build it with quads, I just figured I should triangulate it to make sure the shape stays goo when triangulated -- every once in a while, you want the longer edge instead of the shorter edge from a quad that gets triangulated.

As for reference and a list of fixes I expect to implement:

-pichere-

• The ears are about the same length as the head in this official piece.
  • The ears should be more diamond-shaped with a distinct point.
  • The mane should be much puffier, and does not wrap around the torso, just the neck.
  • The neck shouldn't be visible through the mane.
  • The tail should flare out a lot more, at least vertically. However, it's not quite a flared cylinder -- it nearly is, but it's slightly taller than it is wide.
  • The torso should go lower, the head should be larger, and the muzzle should take up less height and protrude less.

The model as it presently exists used only mental reference. In the next pass, I'll be referring to as many modern official references (Gen3+ Sugimori and pixel art) as I can to fix the proportions and shapes. I am still curious, though, about target polycounts -- sub-1000 isn't bad, but is it good enough for Pixelmon?

Sweet! Can't wait to see the outcome! I don't know about the polycount as I dont model. :(

What community/game did you model for before?
JOIN THE TEAM