By Scrotty
#173535 When I first saw the model from the front view I was like, yeah looks pretty decent. Then I clicked the drop down and was shocked on that 9.2k faces. I haven't thought about recommended face counts in Pixelmon for awhile, but I think it's around 500-1500. Small creatures like Poliwag should only need 500 or less I imagine.

I was horrified when I enabled wireframe mode and it just kept rising as I turned the cam.

I....don't know what to tell you, I'd basically have to explain the entirety of 3D modeling to you..but instead that's what I'd suggest you do, watch tutorials.

Everything...is just wrong with this model.
By FrostEffects
#173551 If you plan on reducing the amount of faces with this... I'd recommend leaving the swirl to the actual texture... It doesn't have a 3-d look to it in the games and just looks bad from the side-view.
By easterbunnie228
#173563 Thanks guys! I didnt know that face count was such a big deal! And Ill definately just texture on the swirl haha. Quick question. Im using 3ds Max. Should i use blender or another program instead?
By Scrotty
easterbunnie228 wrote:Thanks guys! I didnt know that face count was such a big deal! And Ill definately just texture on the swirl haha. Quick question. Im using 3ds Max. Should i use blender or another program instead?

Personal preference, any 3D modeling program is fine as long as it can export. If you're going to continue using 3Ds Max it does have official tutorials though. It's also not just the swirl..

In total, there should only be 4 models.
-Tail
-2 feet
-Body
*Mouth...maybe, up to you. I'd personally extrude a little spot on the body where the mouth goes.*

The tail and feet do not need to be connected to the body. Everything else just needs to be a part of the texture. Another thing is if you enable wireframe on the sketchfab thing you can see you have triangle faces, when modeling characters it's always recommended to use quad faces. Triangles are usually for inanimate objects such as statues and makes animating it difficult. All Pokemon in Pixelmon will be animated. (Except old models that need to be replaced)
By JamieS1211
#173594 only in very special situations should a edge be used instead of a texture line. H needs to be around 200 faces and its probably not a great idea to start with a sphere. Good luck
By bvanseghi
#179517 Don't like the swirl?? Well, its probably because the swirl doesn't protrude out of Poliwags body like that! It should just be a part of the texture, I believe.

Also, the pupils, of the eyes? A bit too small, not touching the edge of the eye that much.

9/10 model, very close!!! The swirl is the biggest thing in your way from the way it looks.
JOIN THE TEAM