By Mundus
#11421 [quote] Nope, people just didn't understand what i said, so they took it the wrong way. They understand now and know it's just how I type (or I'm just an ass. That's just how I am). You are one of these people. You take everything the wrong way. Really though, if you aren't going to take some criticism and deny everything, you won't get anywhere; trust me. You may have put a lot of time into something, but who cares (I know I don't). If you put more time into something you make it better (Even if the issue does not pertain to the original standards, such as arguing that Punk Rock is better than Gospel). It's how life works (Except when you do too much or try to universalize a preference; That's where politicians and The Top 40 comes in...ew). Good things don't come over the course of a few hours. Many amazing models have taken 40+ hours of finish, but that's no reason to just give up because people suggested something (Even though what is suggested has nothing to do with the model, relative to what it is modeled after). It's also why I recommend posting progress along the way, and not what you have done in the past or just showing the finished project. It's better for you because you waste less time and you make it better a long the way. So please, for the love of god, stop getting mad at everything I say; because you have no reason to half of the time. Good bye sir.

There, I made some corrections for you. Feel free to correct my model as much as you'd like.

By Mundus
#11422 Right, I'm a dick for calling the dick a dick.
By Mundus
karrybird wrote:
Mundus wrote:
well, you post it to get critinism, with that attitude, we are leaving it

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=112
looks like you've always been a bit of a dick...

really? it looks like you're being the dick here...it also seems like you can't take criticism.
we point out the flaws to help you, you're never going to get any better unless you accept some criticism to better your model.

and honestly, this model is far from perfect, it's great, but a lot needs to be fixed. and basing a model off of an old god-awful sprite isn't helping your cause either.

The model isn't perfect, and I didn't say it was. The tail needs work, and I need to figure out how to make the forearms smaller without the fingers touching each other. However, if the argument is that you prefer the newer sprites, it is an argument from preference. You can't compare a model based off of one sprite to another. If it were based on a newer sprite, but had obvious flaws, that is something else. Relative to the old sprite, it's pretty accurate. It's not objective criticism, it's personal preference. That is perfectly fine. Even if it were criticism, it does not help me in my goal, because my goal is not to make the athletic Mewtwo, but the one that looks like a monster. So, given that that is your preference, we can understand that you put forward objectively that it is valid to have preferences. It is my preference to model after the old sprite. Don't disguise your back handed insults and sneers as criticism, since you don't know the definitions of the words you are using.
By karrybird
Mundus wrote:
Nope, people just didn't understand what i said, so they took it the wrong way. They understand now and know it's just how I type (or I'm just an ass. That's just how I am). You are one of these people. You take everything the wrong way. Really though, if you aren't going to take some criticism and deny everything, you won't get anywhere; trust me. You may have put a lot of time into something, but who cares (I know I don't). If you put more time into something you make it better (Even if the issue does not pertain to the original standards, such as arguing that Punk Rock is better than Gospel). It's how life works (Except when you do too much or try to universalize a preference; That's where politicians and The Top 40 comes in...ew). Good things don't come over the course of a few hours. Many amazing models have taken 40+ hours of finish, but that's no reason to just give up because people suggested something (Even though what is suggested has nothing to do with the model, relative to what it is modeled after). It's also why I recommend posting progress along the way, and not what you have done in the past or just showing the finished project. It's better for you because you waste less time and you make it better a long the way. So please, for the love of god, stop getting mad at everything I say; because you have no reason to half of the time. Good bye sir.

There, I made some corrections for you. Feel free to correct my model as much as you'd like.

i reiterate, it looks like you are the dick here. was this all really necessary? just update the model and everyone will be happy...
By Mundus
#11427 You're not my boss. I'm a volunteer, and it might be a little more productive if you'd treat your volunteers a little more kindly. You can give criticism without being a prick, and I care a lot less because you are undoubtedly one of the largest. All you've shown me is that you have a far greater lack of ability to give objective input than my ability to create a different sprite relative to my goal.
By Mundus
i reiterate, it looks like you are the dick here. was this all really necessary? just update the model and everyone will be happy...

Well I'm rubber and you're rubber cement. Whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks and stones, dumb-bones.
By karrybird
Mundus wrote:The model isn't perfect, and I didn't say it was. The tail needs work, and I need to figure out how to make the forearms smaller without the fingers touching each other. However, if the argument is that you prefer the newer sprites, it is an argument from preference. You can't compare a model based off of one sprite to another. If it were based on a newer sprite, but had obvious flaws, that is something else. Relative to the old sprite, it's pretty accurate. It's not objective criticism, it's personal preference. That is perfectly fine. Even if it were criticism, it does not help me in my goal, because my goal is not to make the athletic Mewtwo, but the one that looks like a monster. So, given that that is your preference, we can understand that you put forward objectively that it is valid to have preferences. It is my preference to model after the old sprite. Don't disguise your back handed insults and sneers as criticism, since you don't know the definitions of the words you are using.

i understand that you prefer the old sprite, but you know what? that's not what mewtwo looks like, so you can be sure that it won't be added into the mod as is.
quite honestly, i far prefer the current design over the old.
and please, you think that i of all people would not know what criticism is? HAH, you must be joking.

also, it's true i haven't given any imput towards this model, i didn't have to, but spg summed it up nice enough, it would be pointless to just repeat what he said.
By Omerta
#11432 Holy hell this has gotten way out of hand. Let's try to dial it back a bit. Everybody is going to have different perspectives, especially when it comes to art. Let's not forget we are making models out of cubes. We are going to have to assume a bit of artistic liberty when it comes to these models for that very reason.

You pick a starting point, a reference, and then interpret it through your own style. Mundus chose one that he likes, and honestly when you look at the model in reference to that sprite, he did an amazing job. The model does look like a monster. He gets the freedom to decide how and what to model. Whether or not it gets accepted into the game is a decision left to the community at large.

Criticism is meant to help the artist in creating a more polished version of their original vision. I don't think that telling someone to remake their entire model necessarily qualifies as criticism, especially since you are essentially telling them to create it how you would, and in that case you're better off just making your own rather than mincing words. The community will then decide which is better.

Mundus, I think you've done an incredible job with building an accurate representation of that sprite. That being said, I agree with SPG and Karry in that this isn't my personal preference for Mewtwo. But again, that's a question of taste, not criticism. It really is a great model. I can tell you have put a LOT of effort into it, and it shows. Good job.

We don't have any rules in place that tell people how they should model, and that's a good thing. We shouldn't be restricting artists. There is nowhere that I can find that says we are only allowed to model based on a specific generation of sprites, official artwork, etc. So just let him do his thing and let the community decide what goes into the game.
By Mundus
i understand that you prefer the old sprite, but you know what? that's not what mewtwo looks like, so you can be sure that it won't be added into the mod as is.
quite honestly, i far prefer the current design over the old.
and please, you think that i of all people would not know what criticism is? HAH, you must be joking.

also, it's true i haven't given any imput towards this model, i didn't have to, but spg summed it up nice enough, it would be pointless to just repeat what he said.

1.http://mmii.info/icons/Koole321/pokemon_redBlueMewtwoSprite.gif
What is the name of this thing?

2. Criticism must be objective. Criticism based on subjective preference is called bigotry. If you admit that you haven't given criticism to the model, yet shame me for not being able to take criticism (preference/bigotry), then not only do you not understand what it is, but are a very manipulative and shaming person.

3. You of all people knowing what criticism is is an argument from authority. That would be okay if you were an expert, but as I established in #2, you are not.
By Mundus
Omerta wrote:Holy hell this has gotten way out of hand. Let's try to dial it back a bit. Everybody is going to have different perspectives, especially when it comes to art. Let's not forget we are making models out of cubes. We are going to have to assume a bit of artistic liberty when it comes to these models for that very reason.

You pick a starting point, a reference, and then interpret it through your own style. Mundus chose one that he likes, and honestly when you look at the model in reference to that sprite, he did an amazing job. The model does look like a monster. He gets the freedom to decide how and what to model. Whether or not it gets accepted into the game is a decision left to the community at large.

Criticism is meant to help the artist in creating a more polished version of their original vision. I don't think that telling someone to remake their entire model necessarily qualifies as criticism, especially since you are essentially telling them to create it how you would, and in that case you're better off just making your own rather than mincing words. The community will then decide which is better.

Mundus, I think you've done an incredible job with building an accurate representation of that sprite. That being said, I agree with SPG and Karry in that this isn't my personal preference for Mewtwo. But again, that's a question of taste, not criticism. It really is a great model. I can tell you have put a LOT of effort into it, and it shows. Good job.

We don't have any rules in place that tell people how they should model, and that's a good thing. We shouldn't be restricting artists. There is nowhere that I can find that says we are only allowed to model based on a specific generation of sprites, official artwork, etc. So just let him do his thing and let the community decide what goes into the game.

Thank god, reason exists here! I really appreciate your kind words. If you can give any advice on improvements that can be made, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks again for your understanding and gentleness.
JOIN THE TEAM