Is Nidorino ready for approval?

100%
N/A
By SPG
karrybird wrote:textures pretty good, but the model itself isn't perfect.
not sure why people aren't mentioning any of the clear flaws here :I

nidoran is short and stubby
kinda chunky too. these legs are waay too long. the head is also a lot smaller than it should be.
you're on the right track here, but lower him more towards the ground, make legs stumpier, and head bigger.

but other than the model issues, i'd say the texture is pretty good, but yes it is very dirty. if you are going to shade it, make it subtle, just enough to break it up and not look so flat. in some areas the shading is just a little too dark. but i think you do have more of an understanding of good textures than most. :)
but like others have mentioned, bump up the reolution as much as you can for the best detail.

and you didn't break any of the texture rules i have set in my tutorial post, +10 points for that!

i mentioned it all in skype, but i didnt post it for obvious reasons xD

By Edeodin
karrybird wrote:textures pretty good, but the model itself isn't perfect.
not sure why people aren't mentioning any of the clear flaws here :I

nidoran is short and stubby
kinda chunky too. these legs are waay too long. the head is also a lot smaller than it should be.
you're on the right track here, but lower him more towards the ground, make legs stumpier, and head bigger.

but other than the model issues, i'd say the texture is pretty good, but yes it is very dirty. if you are going to shade it, make it subtle, just enough to break it up and not look so flat. in some areas the shading is just a little too dark. but i think you do have more of an understanding of good textures than most. :)
but like others have mentioned, bump up the reolution as much as you can for the best detail.

and you didn't break any of the texture rules i have set in my tutorial post, +10 points for that!

I was actually going off his R/S/E sprites for the shape of his body, where his body is more raised than the official art. It just looks like his legs are folded or prone to the ground in the artwork, so they'd be taller in a default pose. Maybe that's just me though. I'll try chunking him up a bit though.

Yeah I'm going to give the 512 x 256 resolution a try, more room to work with. I do concept art for a living... which didn't translate well to this. I'll tackle the shading a different way this time around. Thanks for the feedback!
By Xwaffle
#11342 Dude. NICE :) I'd love to see you work on some more models after you finish this one up!
By karrybird
Edeodin wrote:I was actually going off his R/S/E sprites for the shape of his body, where his body is more raised than the official art. It just looks like his legs are folded or prone to the ground in the artwork, so they'd be taller in a default pose. Maybe that's just me though. I'll try chunking him up a bit though.

Yeah I'm going to give the 512 x 256 resolution a try, more room to work with. I do concept art for a living... which didn't translate well to this. I'll tackle the shading a different way this time around. Thanks for the feedback!

well they would still be around the same size when standing up, so his belly would be almost touching the ground and the legs would still be stumpy.

also, i think it would be better to either go off the current b/w sprites or just stick to the official art as reference.
By Nom Lexip
#11347 The textures are amazing but the body its self looks more like a nidorino with the porportions and all... like others have been saying, nidorans are more short legged and big-headed.... basically, more infant-like body porportions.

I started working on a nido male too but goddamn there is no hope I can create textures even close to yours. You can see what I started here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1457

On my model, the hind legs suck (I didn't finish them) and the stomach needs some adjustment but other than that I think I got the body porportions looking decent.

Those ears of yours are just amazing. You really should fix the anatomy a bit and finish it.... there's no way I can create textures better than that.
By Edeodin
karrybird wrote:
Edeodin wrote:I was actually going off his R/S/E sprites for the shape of his body, where his body is more raised than the official art. It just looks like his legs are folded or prone to the ground in the artwork, so they'd be taller in a default pose. Maybe that's just me though. I'll try chunking him up a bit though.

well they would still be around the same size when standing up, so his belly would be almost touching the ground and the legs would still be stumpy.

also, i think it would be better to either go off the current b/w sprites or just stick to the official art as reference.

Well not physically taller, I mean like they seemed shorter because of the pose. But yes, I'll rework the body based on the art and post an update when I get another chance to work on it!
By karrybird
Edeodin wrote:Well not physically taller, I mean like they seemed shorter because of the pose. But yes, I'll rework the body based on the art and post an update when I get another chance to work on it!

alright, sounds good :)
By Edeodin
Nom Lexip wrote:The textures are amazing but the body its self looks more like a nidorino with the porportions and all... like others have been saying, nidorans are more short legged and big-headed.... basically, more infant-like body porportions.

I started working on a nido male too but goddamn there is no hope I can create textures even close to yours. You can see what I started here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1457

On my model, the hind legs suck (I didn't finish them) and the stomach needs some adjustment but other than that I think I got the body porportions looking decent.

Those ears of yours are just amazing. You really should fix the anatomy a bit and finish it.... there's no way I can create textures better than that.

I was actually REALLY hesitant to post mine because I saw yours first, and I started doubting mine because you definitely have the proportions better. Technically I could turn this into Nidorino, since he still needs to be done as well, and you could still do Nidoran. That's an option since I need to fix up the model and texture anyway. That way no one has to abandon their work.
By Nom Lexip
Edeodin wrote:I was actually REALLY hesitant to post mine because I saw yours first, and I started doubting mine because you definitely have the proportions better. Technically I could turn this into Nidorino, since he still needs to be done as well, and you could still do Nidoran. That's an option since I need to fix up the model and texture anyway. That way no one has to abandon their work.

That would be cool! To be honest I think you're pretty close to a nidorino already so it shouldn't take that much work.... You'd have to reshape the head, give him those fat rolls on his shoulders/hips, and touch up some other, minor stuff.

The only problem is that I have basically no art skill and can't hope to make textures similar to yours.

Here's a proposition: Would you be interested in texturing my nido when I am done with it? Because I think that would really be the best of both worlds.
By Edeodin
Nom Lexip wrote:
Edeodin wrote:I was actually REALLY hesitant to post mine because I saw yours first, and I started doubting mine because you definitely have the proportions better. Technically I could turn this into Nidorino, since he still needs to be done as well, and you could still do Nidoran. That's an option since I need to fix up the model and texture anyway. That way no one has to abandon their work.

That would be cool! To be honest I think you're pretty close to a nidorino already so it shouldn't take that much work.... You'd have to reshape the head, give him those fat rolls on his shoulders/hips, and touch up some other, minor stuff.

The only problem is that I have basically no art skill and can't hope to make textures similar to yours.

Here's a proposition: Would you be interested in texturing my nido when I am done with it? Because I think that would really be the best of both worlds.

Yeah I'd definitely be down for that! I just don't like seeing good work go to waste. I'll reshape this model into Nidorino and improve my texture approach so it's not as muddy for both our models.
JOIN THE TEAM