By Omerta
#11435 You don't necessarily have to start from scratch. One thing you could do is to use a flat block to make the horn. That way the thickness is determined by pixels, not blocks. I believe the other Nidoran did this for the horn, so look there for an idea. His model doesn't look to be much different in size than yours, but he used flat block textures in a smart way to give the model more detail, so maybe play around with that.

One other (slightly more advanced) method would be to use three or four flat blocks and angle them in so that they meet at a single point. You can then make the overlapping parts transparent and you'd basically end up with a pyramid shaped horn.

By Edeodin
#11536 Yes flat blocks are incredibly handy. Our models are actually pretty close to each other in scale, as Omerta said, so I agree that you shouldn't necessarily start over. Here's a sort of side-by-side comparison with/without the texture to show the flat block thing.

Spoiler:

Sometimes you can get away with just the flat box, like with the teeth, but things like the ears can really benefit from some blocks to give depth (as I've done with the back of the ears). Also with the spikes, Nidoran has two sets of spikes; one set emerges from his spine and two parallel sets from the upper sides of his torso. This might look weird from a straight-on back angle, so you could try adding some blocks at the base of the spikes kind of like how I did the horn there (i.e. flat plane coming out of the block's centre).

I rarely get to suggest this, but look up pictures of cute bunnies. Nidoran's design is inspired by rabbits (and some rodents), and bunnies have bulky hind legs that let them press off the ground with a stronger force. I feel like you could bring the thigh block down more... or maybe rotated so the forward facing point isn't so high?

Also the jaw is just because of the block's angle compared to the angle of the head itself. You could reduce the jaw angle or add some blocks to smooth the transition so it's not as jarring. I think that lighting difference would show in the texture though.
By Edeodin
#13076 Ooh that's definitely closer to the right proportions, though I feel his back leg could be just a tad shorter/stumpier. Also, a flat block for the tip of the horn would help give it a smoother appearance after the texturing is done. Shame you had to basically start over, but hey it's certainly an improvement!
By karrybird
#13081 wow it's coming along beautifully!

one thing that kinda bugs me is that you're still stacking blocks the make the ears...
it would probably look better if it were one very large blocks and then textured on manually.
By Nom Lexip
karrybird wrote:wow it's coming along beautifully!

one thing that kinda bugs me is that you're still stacking blocks the make the ears...
it would probably look better if it were one very large blocks and then textured on manually.

I told you earlier that can't texture worth shit, not gonna even try. I have zero art skill.

Thankfully though, when I am done with this Edeodin very generously volunteered to texture it for me, and he/she can change the ears and horns and whatever else as needed.
By Edeodin
Nom Lexip wrote:
karrybird wrote:wow it's coming along beautifully!

I told you earlier that can't texture worth shit, not gonna even try. I have zero art skill.

Thankfully though, when I am done with this Edeodin very generously volunteered to texture it for me, and he/she can change the ears and horns and whatever else as needed.

Yeah I'll fix the ears when I do the texturing. No worries.
By GuardoUno
#14024 Love it! I always wanted a Nidoran as a starter (which I can in Generation 0). I just loved Nidoking because his large moveset plus awesome shiny version.

Anyways, I digress. Looks great. Can't wait till it is in game.
By Nom Lexip
Spoiler:

Okay I think I am done working on this.... this tiny little model has taken up ridiculous amounts of hours to complete, and I'm not sure if I can stay sane and continue working on it.

I wanted to round out the snout more near the nose but it just proved to be too frustrating. So he's stuck with a button-shaped nose.
JOIN THE TEAM