By MrMasochism
#14909 the trick is that it has to be exported in cubes/boxes only. Any format will do if it does that

By Nxtech
#14935 Wait a sec... Ive seen youtube videos where people have put in models with non-box shapes. You may want to check this out if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDbZ1gT1-j0

However, if the requirement for boxes only is because of animation dependencies then I guess this doesn't help too much. Oh and also could you give me a bit more detail for what you require? Like do you need it to be exported as boxes or just made using only the box tool in 3ds max? Does the filetype really not matter at all? Would it be possible for you to give some sort of short list of why techne works and others don't and also which others don't work and why. As much info as possible will make it easier for me to begin to try and find some sort of solution. Should I make a simple model in 3ds max for you to test what can and can't be done and why?
By MrMasochism
#14981 Yeah the problem is for animation. Sure i can take a simple obj file and bring it in. Would be simple. That isn't what is needed though
By Nxtech
#15051 Ok. What kinds of things prevent you from animating them? I honestly don't know ANYTHING about how minecraft works.
By MrMasochism
SPG is right. I spent a large number of hours this week looking into the feasilbility of bringing 3ds/maya models into minecraft with proper animation and basically came to the point of saying the work required would be too large. It would require a re-write of minecraft's rendering system or building a completely separate one which would handle physics, materials and mesh deformation, something that (of course) the minecraft renderer doesn't do. On top of that, the extra load that would put on the renderer may well then cause the game to be unplayable for a large number of our users.

In terms of work, I'd estimate 3-4 months of solid work on it to bring that to fruition, 3-4 months where nothing else would get done.
By Nxtech
#15151 What kinds of things can minecrafts rendering system handle? Like what makes makes techne work and others not. Does the fact that in techne you can only select box sizes at integers matter or not? Can minecraft only animate rectangular cuboids (3d shapes with all 90 degree angles)? Sorry if I"m bothering you with all these questions. For whatever reason I'm having a really difficult time finding any info on how minecraft handles rendering and animation which I kinda need to know for this.
By MrMasochism
#15153 minecraft has it's own built in system which only lets you put rectangular boxes in. Techne works cause it was written specifically for minecraft.
By Nxtech
#15157 Do the dimensions of the box matter? Like in techne you have 1, 2, 3, etc. for available box size but could you have a box with 1.2 or 2.79?
By MrMasochism
#15315 it does matter unfortunately, the box width/height/length must be integers, position however can be any number
By SPG
MrMasochism wrote:it does matter unfortunately, the box width/height/length must be integers, position however can be any number

hell, we would be better off just recoding the entire damn thing
JOIN THE TEAM