By Kharon
#77345 I would like to build and contribute some models to this project, but before I begin, I'd like to know what standards you need the models to meet at a minimum, and what sort of maximum limitations I might need to deal with. Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) What is the highest polycount you can support on a Pokemon in this mod? I want to make my models as high quality as possible, so going low for the same of going low isn't my goal. I'd like to provide clean and smooth models within the limitations of the technology at hand.

2) What scale should I produce my models at? I normally work in Blender with a scale of "whatever looks right". Should I adjust the final models to reflect their official sizes, and if so, what measurements or units should I use as a reference?

3) Should I keep a single smooth model, or model it in pieces that can be more easily manipulated and tweaked? If so, what should the guidelines for these separations be?

With all of this in mind, I would like to volunteer to re-model Eevee as well as its evolutions. I just would like to know the technical side for what to do in these areas before I begin.

By Dragonspainter
Kharon wrote:I would like to build and contribute some models to this project, but before I begin, I'd like to know what standards you need the models to meet at a minimum, and what sort of maximum limitations I might need to deal with. Specifically, I'd like to know:

1) What is the highest polycount you can support on a Pokemon in this mod? I want to make my models as high quality as possible, so going low for the same of going low isn't my goal. I'd like to provide clean and smooth models within the limitations of the technology at hand.

2) What scale should I produce my models at? I normally work in Blender with a scale of "whatever looks right". Should I adjust the final models to reflect their official sizes, and if so, what measurements or units should I use as a reference?

3) Should I keep a single smooth model, or model it in pieces that can be more easily manipulated and tweaked? If so, what should the guidelines for these separations be?

With all of this in mind, I would like to volunteer to re-model Eevee as well as its evolutions. I just would like to know the technical side for what to do in these areas before I begin.

FYI: I may not know what I am talking about, but I probably do, But I have only been doing this for a week or two XD

As far as the polycount goes, there is not exactly a limitation, the general idea is to make the model as low poly as possible while keeping it looking good.

Example, my Haxorus model here
Spoiler:

Is around 1000 where as my WIP Taillow model here is only about 150
Spoiler:

Also another consideration is its spawn rate, If your model is for example, a Pidgey, keep it as low poly as possible simply because its going to spawn a ton of them, everywhere xD

Final evo's, or rare Pokemon can be higher poly, in my opinion

As for the scale, I think its whatever looks right? At least I hope, because that's what I have been doing XD
I think they make it the correct size when they put it in game.
If not, SPG please yell at me now : D

And as for separations, if it makes sense, have it attached, if it makes more sense/looks better, have it not be attached. Another example (goodness I have a ton of these) would be my Gliscor model, where the arms and tail are not actually attached, but the legs are
Spoiler:
By Dragonspainter
fosterd wrote:are you going to continue tailow line

I plan to, I had to re-do the Tailow itself because well, I hated the finished one XD

But yes, I do plan to do Swellow

.... sometime.... XD
By SPG
#80138 Hey dragon, look at who posted it, and the date of posting, now look at the skype chat and the google doc
By Dragonspainter
SPG wrote:Hey dragon, look at who posted it, and the date of posting, now look at the skype chat and the google doc

Gosh dang it I thought I was being helpful >3>

Ahh well, maybe other people with the same questions will look at this thread XD
JOIN THE TEAM