By joshua_DA
#149602 i've been seeing plenty of people posting high poly models or very dirty low poly models recently so here are a few tips when making your model. I don't even know if anyone would read this but lel.

- the right references
a summarization of this tip would be to always use official references and (almost...) NEVER fan artwork unless you have no choice and you're hopeless but there are things to know even though it's official:

*official 3d models are the greatest references you can have but be aware that there are sometimes but not always often differences of a 3d model across gens. ( i.e. model differences of pokemon battle revolution, pokedex 3d pro and x/y,ORAS models, etc...)

* official artworks are a decent reference and should only(most of the time) be used to know the "general" look of a pokemon. Pls for the love of arceus, dont use artwork if you're referring to angles of said pokemon( i.e using artwork to know how it looks from side, back, etc). That's the job of 3d models, being more specific and stuff.

plagiarism
we are aware that you can obtain official 3d models online but always know that we are aware if you just copied a model. We have eyes, lawl. And no, we can't use official models in pixelmon because copyright, period. Make the models yourself but please dont make it look like a deformed mess.

Texturing
*make sure your textures look clean, CORRECT, and not pixelated or messy. max size of texture we accept is 512x512.

*if youre looking for the normal and shiny color of the pokemon, just use an eyedropper tool on the sprites of said pokemon. Dont make up your own colors for your pokemon unless you know it,ll look sexy which mostly, does not end well. ( does not apply if you have experience with coloring or the official sprite color is somehow retarded.) also, (almost) NEVER use pure black unless needed. It does'nt look good and it will make your pokemon look like a walking piece of a blackhole. Just use a darker shade of grey for such things.

*if you cannot texture a model, look it up on youtube on how to texture or have someone else do it Though i suggest you take the time to learn how to texture even if you suck at it (like me) as it will greatly help you in the future.

Poooooolygons
we are looking for low poly models. What is low poly you ask? Something that does not have much faces and polygons. What are those you may ask again? Google is your friend. But in all seriousness, we are looking for clean low polygonal models that can be rigged easily. Think of low poly like a 8x8sphere or even a 10x10 sphere. A 20x20 sphere is a too much unless that said sphere is ultra big which is not always the case. Also, PLEEEAAASE model your polygons cleanly. Dont make it look like there's triangles flying everywhere and dont use too much polygons when it's not necessary. is a 20x20 sphere necessary for a voltorb IN pixelmon? NO. low poly is the way if you're making models for pixelmon but don't make the model too low poly that in the end, it'll look like some artist's minimalist artwork.

Programs for modelling
basically anything that can export in obj or more recently, an smd format. Common program are blender, maya, 3dsmax, etc...

Posting your model online
use sketchfab to post your models here. the embed is [sketchfab]"url"[/sketchfab] . If you want your model to not have retarded lighting (ie, dark parts, etc) just use environment lighting or ambient occlusion(google how to do that since its probably a different step on different programs)

Feedback and approval
i have noticed recently that some people only expect to get feedback from a modeller. My reply to that is that you're an idiot. There is a reason why the section is called feedback. Anyone can point out their opinions on your model. believe it or not, literally anyone can point out wrongs in your models even if you notice none or the said replier does not even model. It's all in the way how every single individual sees the detail. if you think their opinion is wrong, logically give them the reason to it, don't just say that mmm, this thing feels right or that stuff. as for approval, ONLY post it on approval if no one notices anything wrong with it.we modelers are not above this rule.

And that's all the tips i have for the meantime, unless spontaneous thinking comes again after im done typing this. Feel free to tell me if i shiuld add more this. I will not teach you how to make a model look good, thats up to you on how much you pay attention to detail and shaping and cleanliness. always get inspired by other 3d models to help you get started. Thank you for reading this wall of text.

JOIN THE TEAM