By erkalicious
#95185 Is there a way to switch back to the old models?

i.e. the ones that fit more with the minecraft theme (old: http://wiki.pixelmonmod.com/index.php?t ... ander2.png versus new: http://wiki.pixelmonmod.com/index.php?t ... ander1.png)

The new models, while they look like the pokemon do in the originating games, don't fit in at all, and just look like badly done designs because of the small number of surfaces. The old models are, in my opinion, absolutely perfect.

How do I go about switching back to the old ones?
User avatar
By SPG
#95186 you dont, and chances are wont add the option to switch, its a pain in the ass to make techne models
also, thats not the new charmander, looks far better then what you have
By karrybird
#95187 absolutely perfect??? they look like crap and you know it.
the only way to get those piles of blocks back is to learn to code them back in 'cause i know none of the coders here are gonna waste their time doing it.
or, y'know, play the old versions.
By erkalicious
#95196
SPG wrote:thats not the new charmander, looks far better then what you have

Whether the image is the newest doesn't bear too much weight on the point. As you can see by the link, it is a picture directly from the wiki (I didn't take it myself).


karrybird wrote:absolutely perfect??? they look like crap and you know it.

If I didn't think they were perfect, I would not have said so. If I "knew" they looked like crap I would not have said they look perfect. I don't know what kind of accountability or level of honesty you are used to, but I write what I mean, not the opposite thereof.



That being said, I have a two questions, then, for the development team:

Is this, then, the new direction for the pixelmon models? (i.e. polygonal models rather than the more cuboidal "blocky" models more fitting to Minecraft)
Would model submissions for the more Minecraft style models still be accepted?
User avatar
By SPG
#95199 Either way it's a waste of our time and not our best interest to reads garbage to the mod, I tried hard to find a way to get objs in and I have no plans on turning back, if you want ugly models with little effort play pokecube
User avatar
By joshua_DA
#95212 most of the modelers will probably feel insulted by this thread. Don't you even know how painful it is to use techne? heck thats the reason why i turned to blender when i was about to start my first ever pixelmon model. and how would you say the obj models are badly made designs? most of the modelers work hard to put every single perfect detail and texture on every model you see in the mod. you want to insult the obj models for being crap? go make one for yourself or make some effortless crap of a pokemon with techne like the pokecube mod.
By Huhspaniel
#95223
joshua_DA wrote:most of the modelers will probably feel insulted by this thread. Don't you even know how painful it is to use techne? heck thats the reason why i turned to blender when i was about to start my first ever pixelmon model. and how would you say the obj models are badly made designs? most of the modelers work hard to put every single perfect detail and texture on every model you see in the mod. you want to insult the obj models for being crap? go make one for yourself or make some effortless crap of a pokemon with techne like the pokecube mod.


He doesn't want to "insult the obj models for being crap." He wants to know how to switch to the old models. That's why he asked "How do I go about switching back to the old ones?"
How can you say he is insulting the modelers by stating his opinion on the models? Just because the modelers worked hard on the models, which he didn't say they didn't, it doesn't mean everyone has to like them or that they are well done. For example, Adolf Hitler probably worked hard to get to his position of power.

And, to address the topic: the way I see it, there are two problems.
1. The pokemon models don't match up with the whole style of Minecraft and end up sticking out.
2. The models are obviously very detailed and obviously took a lot of work, but you can't put all that work into detailing the model without putting that same work into detailing the animations. Take, for example, one of those crappy flash animations in which there are pictures sliding around, spinning, growing, and shrinking. Though those obviously didn't take much effort, the fact of the matter is that whether the pictures look good/detailed doesn't matter. With pixelmon, many of the pokemon just slide or float around on the ground, most of their limbs motionless. The pokemon models seem badly done in gameplay to me, and maybe others, because the incredibly detailed models aren't accompanied by incredibly detailed animations; they would look absolutely fine as figurines and (most) look absolutely fine in pictures. The pokemon's legs should move when they walk, at least; even the "crappy" style every other mob is made in has the luxury of this.

Even if the problems within #2 were adressed, the problem that they don't go with Minecraft still would remain as it always will because they obviously aren't going away due to the work put in to them.

There is an easy solution to all this, though: simply add the option to change between the old and current models in the game or, at least, in the configuration. I'm no expert on java programming, but I doubt that's very difficult. If it is, well, then there is no easy solution and I guess I might consider using pokecube instead, as this isn't the only problem with the pokemon mobs. viewtopic.php?f=91&t=10600
User avatar
By SPG
#95226 that solution isnt that easy because the effort still needs to be put in to make those crappy, i mean techne models, something I dont approve anymore because its atroshious, if you want to make all 649 pokemon in techne (i say 649 because i wont approve gen 6) by all means go ahead, but im not going to divide our assets on something not very important for something the majority doesnt like
By erkalicious
#95229
joshua_DA wrote:most of the modelers will probably feel insulted by this thread. Don't you even know how painful it is to use techne? heck thats the reason why i turned to blender when i was about to start my first ever pixelmon model. and how would you say the obj models are badly made designs? most of the modelers work hard to put every single perfect detail and texture on every model you see in the mod. you want to insult the obj models for being crap? go make one for yourself or make some effortless crap of a pokemon with techne like the pokecube mod.

I appreciate your response, though it seems you didn't actually read what I wrote. Please, allow me to educate you.

To extract one sentence from my original post: "The new models, while they look like the pokemon do in the originating games, don't fit in at all, and just look like badly done designs because of the small number of surfaces."

Firstly, I'd like you to point out where I "insult the obj models for being crap". When you do that, respond accordingly. In fact, I know a thing or two about 3D modeling (though I'm more of an Autodesk Maya modeler myself), and I can tell that the models are very well done considering their platform.

Secondly, I didn't write that the models are badly made design, I wrote that they look like badly made designs because of the small number of surfaces. I'm sure that that is a restriction in Minecraft itself and, given free reign, the models would be smooth as silk.

Thirdly, I do know how painful it is to use techne, as I've used it for some of my own mods.

Fourthly, I would be willing make some models myself, evidenced by the second question in my prior post: whether the minecraft style models would still be accepted.

Lastly, this topic never was, is not, and never will be a slight to the models' quality or the effort taken to make them. It is simply bringing some light to the fact that the obj models clash with the entire style of Minecraft and, while great models on their own two feet, don't fit well in the game.

If you read through my entire post, thank you for bearing with me, if not, don't embarrass yourself too much with your ill-informed responses.
By erkalicious
#95234
SPG wrote:that solution isnt that easy because the effort still needs to be put in to make those crappy, i mean techne models, something I dont approve anymore because its atroshious, if you want to make all 649 pokemon in techne (i say 649 because i wont approve gen 6) by all means go ahead, but im not going to divide our assets on something not very important for something the majority doesnt like

You're sending mixed signals here SPG. In your first sentence, you write that you don't approve of techne models "..because its atroshious [sic]," but almost immediately after you write that "if you want to make all 649 pokemon in techne...by all means go ahead" implying that you would accept techne models.

Back to the question from my second post: would cuboidal (e.g. those made in techne) models still be accepted?

I also want to know your reasoning for moving away from the Minecraft-themed models and towards the obj models. Is it based on the ease of use of blender versus that of techne?
JOIN THE TEAM