Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By yesinkatle6
#205475 I've heard that hating your own work is a part of the process and that hating your work makes you strive to improve but I'd like to let go of all that ego garbage. I want to draw purely for the fun of it and not for the sake becoming the best because 1. Art is subjective and 2 those things will come naturally with practice anyway. Conciously I know that my art isn't terrible but whenever I look at it I cant help but cringe.

Maybe this isn't the right subreddit for this question but how can I break the habbit of automatically & instantly judging my own art.

By Jephon
#205487 I think its more about acceptance of who you are as a person and knowing you have limitations. We all do. Its also about where your passion is. The more passionate you are about something, the more critical you will be about it.

Think of walking. A simple thing but it makes a good example. While many of us have walked since we were very young, I don't think any of us analyzes how we walk and judges our walking technique. Could you? Very much so! I am positive somewhere out there a scientist has discovered the perfect stride and walking technique. Do I care? Nah. If I don't walk correctly, it will be alright. I am comfortable with my current walking ability.

With the walking example, I am not passionate at all about how I walk. I realize I may not be doing it correctly and I am alright with that. I feel no need to improve.

So. How can you apply the walking example to your art? You can't and here's why. To not "hate your own work" you need to stop being passionate about it which goes against the very idea.

What you need to do instead is use that to grow. I think you already have the right idea but you gotta take it a step further. Youtube is a great thing. Use it to help you improve and grow your abilities! Don't be discouraged as it will take a lot of practice. Keep at it and you will be great in not too long.
JOIN THE TEAM