Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By Jumpyporcupine
karrybird wrote:
Jack_Attack12 wrote:
Jumpyporcupine wrote:The first gen was my favorite. I guess it was because how original the ideas and the memories from it.

Original? There was a pidgy, rattata, raticate, a palmtree with eggs, a dragon, all bad pokemon designs.
My fave gen is a tie between 2 and 4. I love the pokemon buizel and gen 4 game kept me entertainer for ages. And i did not like G/S/C but the remakes were AMAZING. i just hope the remake of Crystal will by twice as good. And all pokemon on my sig is my fav, so you can see why i love they gens.

haha my thoughts exactly! and don't forget the pokeball, more eggs, pile of slime, diglett and 3 digletts, not to mention the uninspiring starters. later gens were much much more creative design and concept wise and are generally more likable. (my opinion)

and, sorry to say, but a crystal remake might not happen any time soon, if anything we are getting an emerald remake sooner.

Uninspiring starters? They were the best with a bulbasaur and what not. I quess it's all of a matter of opinion they are ALL pokemon and they dont have to be in groups, it's the whole racial thing all over again. I mean which one do you think is better? Image

By ZeeCount
#14893 @ Jumpyporcupine
I think the problem with the new Pokemon is a lot like the problem with the Michael Bay transformers. He made the designs more complex, without actually adding anything constructive to them. So, he took designs that were originally clever, minimalistic and uncluttered and made them looking like walking junk yards. I see the same problem with that "Gen 4" Charizard. Give me the original gen 1 design any day.
By zero_breaker
#14901 I like Gen 5 the most, because there is a nice plot. I'm the kind who plays RPGs to watch the story, so there you go. The Pokemon designs, I have to admit, is half awesome and half "WTF IS THIS", but I can just avoid the bizzare ones.
Not saying the other Gens are not good: The Pokemons in Gen 2 are mostly with great designs, Gen 4 improved the Physical/Special split and nice scenery (not to the level of Gen 5 of course), Gen 3 have cool mons and COLORS, and Gen 1... come on it's the one which started it all :I
By Jumpyporcupine
ZeeCount wrote:@ Jumpyporcupine
I think the problem with the new Pokemon is a lot like the problem with the Michael Bay transformers. He made the designs more complex, without actually adding anything constructive to them. So, he took designs that were originally clever, minimalistic and uncluttered and made them looking like walking junk yards. I see the same problem with that "Gen 4" Charizard. Give me the original gen 1 design any day.

I mean don't get me wrong some Gen V pokemon are great! Sigylth, Archeops, ferrothorn, eelektross, and genesect. But they also have some terrible designs like watchog, lilipup evolution line, woobat, darumaka, trubbish and garbador, gothita, ect.
By JurroRath
#14928 Personally, I'm quite fond of the more complex designs. True, they could be simplified [like that Garchomp Jumpy posted] and simpler designs tend to be much easier on the eyes, but I still think the more complex designs are fun. More fun to look at, and for me personally, much more fun to draw and color, since there's much more going on and much more to play around and work with. That's just me though I suppose. I like big, bright, and flashy. I have a friend who's almost the exact opposite- she prefers simple colors and simple designs, because she finds them easier to draw and look at at. So, it's just a matter of opinion.

In terms of generation preference, as far as game mechanics go, I'd certainly go with gen 5, that feels like a no-brainer. As for pokemon designs, that's a tough one. There's a lot I like, and a lot that I could care less for. If I had to pick though, I'd say gen 5 is my favorite, just because of how bizarre and cool some of these designs are. Ground/Ghost golem? Fire/Ghost chandelier? A Psychic goth? I don't know, just something about those designs and their typings I just really love. Yeah, there's a few oddballs that I don't really care for- I think Vanilluxe would be a lot better if it had a secendary typing, even one that doesn't make sense- hell, we've got a Ground/Ghost golem, they could get away with it. Crobat is miles above Swoobat, that's no real contest, though I might just be biased there considering Crobat is one of my all time favorite pokemon. Like most others, I think Samurott was wasted potential, though I'm a bit nicer to it then others I think- I still like the design, it just would've been cooler if they stuck with the ninja otter theme. Emboar is another bit of wasted potential, being Fire/Fighting, as well as being completely outclassed by the two previous Fire/Fighting starters to boot.

I could go on about the pokemon I like and dislike and why, but I'll stop there, or else I'm gonna end up reviewing every single pokemon out there lol. I might just be biased since this is the first generation I've seen start and grow- yes, I did play Pokemon Red growing up, but I wasn't really focused on the franchise, it was just sort've a game I played, I only really joined in once Platinum was already out for, I dunno, a few months? Maybe a year? I'm not sure, but it was definitely out by that point. So, for me, since I don't have a lot of nostalgia for the old games [except Pokemon Red, but even then, it was mostly just me struggling to beat everything with a Charizard like most others little kids who didn't know better], and I'm much more fond of colorful, busy, and strange designs, I like the newer generations much more than the older ones.

Not saying I don't like simple pokemon, not saying that there's no weird pokemon in the older generations [Jynx says hi], it's just that's there's generally more bizarre pokemon in the later gens so it just appeals to me more. So, that's just my thoughts on the matter, and it all really just comes down to personal taste and what-not. Judging by the pokemon we've seen from gen 6, it looks like they'll be continuing the train of strange designs [I have a feeling I'm going to just adore the Chespin line] which I'm excited for. Will it top gen 5 for me? Potentially, though it'll be tough to top Chandelure, but it looks promising. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

EDIT: Attempted to post and saw zero had posted while I was writing mentioning the story. I agree with him there, gen 5 wins this round too. I enjoy the more complex plot and characters, but I know that some people feel the later gens are way to dialoguy, and, yeah, if you really don't care for the story and just wanna play the game, it is. I remember searching on Google for a speed-up button for Desmume recently because the emulator had crashed, and I didn't feel like spending forever to get back to where I was, and someone had posted on a forum asking about it because there was simply so much dialogue in I believe it was Pokemon Platinum, though it could've been Diamond or Pearl as well. So, again, it's a matter of taste.

I love playing games for the story, I've always felt a good complex story really enhances the experience, but again, it's a personal taste thing. And yes, I'm aware I'm repeating myself at this point, but I felt it necessary since this can turn into a very heated debate very quickly and I just want to make sure everyone here understands that it all comes down to opinion. But I've hammered that point home enough now. Continue your discuss *Returns to SoulSilver*
By karrybird
Jumpyporcupine wrote:Uninspiring starters? They were the best with a bulbasaur and what not. I quess it's all of a matter of opinion they are ALL pokemon and they dont have to be in groups, it's the whole racial thing all over again. I mean which one do you think is better?

pff, oh come on this shouldn't even be a competition. garchomp far outways charizard on the epic scale. even with the simple patterns it still has the more creative design than charizard. charizard is a flying lizard, not even a dragon, just a lizard..with wings. garchomp is a friggin land shark! not to mention it's also a psuedo legendary and can kick charizards ass any day of the week.

and yes, the starters of first gen are bad, like really bad. usually i like the starters, there are very very few that i dislike(tepig and chikorita) but the first 3 are definitely ones i dislike. if i absolutely had to choose one of them, i'd go with squirtle i guess.
i'd much prefer to start a journey with a cute little snivy than a lanky bulbasaur.
By Yaseen
#15007 Gen 3 and Gen 1 are my favourites but gen 2 is a very close second
By Jumpyporcupine
karrybird wrote:
Jumpyporcupine wrote:Uninspiring starters? They were the best with a bulbasaur and what not. I quess it's all of a matter of opinion they are ALL pokemon and they dont have to be in groups, it's the whole racial thing all over again. I mean which one do you think is better?

pff, oh come on this shouldn't even be a competition. garchomp far outways charizard on the epic scale. even with the simple patterns it still has the more creative design than charizard. charizard is a flying lizard, not even a dragon, just a lizard..with wings. garchomp is a friggin land shark! not to mention it's also a psuedo legendary and can kick charizards ass any day of the week.

and yes, the starters of first gen are bad, like really bad. usually i like the starters, there are very very few that i dislike(tepig and chikorita) but the first 3 are definitely ones i dislike. if i absolutely had to choose one of them, i'd go with squirtle i guess.
i'd much prefer to start a journey with a cute little snivy than a lanky bulbasaur.

I guess it depends on the first game you had, I started with leaf green and I quess that's the reason why I like 1 gen so much.
By karrybird
Jumpyporcupine wrote:I guess it depends on the first game you had, I started with leaf green and I quess that's the reason why I like 1 gen so much.

heh that does play a very huge role in it. my first game was diamond. though i've loved the franchise since it started, that game was just an incredible experience for me.

and mr. m, i've been messing with you guys, i don't despise gen 1 as much as i've made it out to be. (it's still my least fave, but that's besides the point) i think every gen has it's good and bad points. all have their own style it seems, and there are some from every gen that i and most can't stand. i'm just using the logic that genwunners tend to use when bashing the later gens, plus, it's pretty interesting to see how you guys react to it. ;)
JOIN THE TEAM