Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.
By Brojman
#127622 Just wondering what you guys thing about the Updated Minecraft ELUA?
Also this wont be enforced until August 1 2014

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... etisation/

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... low-up-qa/

By MrPolarBearJ
#127629 It's not new. They are just making it more clear for server owners and to make these servers, that are bad apples, to stop what they are doing. Notice the EULA date of last change.
By Cap_Cod
#127639 It will be interesting seeing what's gonna happen after this takes effect. I'm glad that I will have access to all minigames for free on big servers after this but I wonder how those big servers will stay up. There are probably gonna be servers/websites filled with advertisements as that seems like one of the big moneymaking ways.
By Animalol
#127665 In a way, it's not all bad. I'm in-between on this, honestly. Sure, it's fair that Mojang doesn't want people making money off of a game that they worked hard on. But, this decision will result in less servers because some people don't have the money to run servers without collecting donations. I don't know. If you ask me, this whole 'EULA' thing is kind of silly, thus why I haven't been caught up with what's going on.
By Brojman
#127669 My pixelmon server has been development for over a year. With server "rent" and a website it has cost me personally over $600 since I started working on it. I was looking forward not to making a profit off of it, but not having to pay out of pocket for it once we opened(when the 1.7 update comes out). But unless I can get some company to sponsor me, I'll be forced to continue to pay out of pocket for it. That is unless people want to give me free money or buy useless items(please feel free to do so :P)

Money aside, a very big concern is that development will shift from new minigames to cosmetic ones. I feel we will see a slowdown in new gameplay mechanics and a boost in useless "hat" mods. Innovation will always go where the money is(most of the time).

One exception is obviously Pixelmon. The amount of work that has gone into this mod and the amount of money made (for the mod makers, not you pay-to-win servers...you know who you are) is not equal.....at all. We in the Pixelmon community have had our share of bad eggs(again you know who you are*Cough* $400 pokemon packs*Cough*). Considering this, I'd just like to personally thank each and every person who has contributed to this mod. You are the true heros of MC. Although hosting servers is time consuming and costly, us server owners wouldn't have anything without your hard work! <3
By MoeBoy76
#127671 the entire reason that Mojang is doing this seems to be due to servers such as mineplex, hypixel and glgcraft (capitalisation is reserved for respect)
i know that if i had a server for the public i would be a little upset but realistically, gaming is a hobby and should not (unless you are an MLG or make youtube gaming videos) be a source of income, in fact it should be something that you spend countless hours and dollars (or any currency) on just for some relaxation and enjoyment
all of that said, it will be a shame that it won't be as easy to find somewhere to play fun minigames for free

EDIT: the following posts by IceMan8030 further explain
By IceMan8030
#127676 Firstly there have been a lot of great post on here as well as many other sites but I have to agree with Mojang on this one as it has been really sad seeing some of these servers treat the minecraft player base the way that they have. I mean just look at some of the big Pixelmon servers and the ridiculous donation packages they have come up with. I know of a few servers that you donate $750 you get all the legendaries a shiny legendary of your choice some held items a few pokeballs, "no masterballs"...... now tell me that's not that servers version of pay to win. Ohh and legendaries do not spawn naturally or by orb on that server either. I have seen several factions servers where for $1000 you get op diamond items but a normal member starts with prot.1 iron and a sharp1 diamond sword. Seeing things like this have made me sick and have turned me away from several servers over the past few years.

Now on the what I see happening to servers after the EULA change takes effect. The big servers wont be closing, they will find a way to make money whether by selling some sort of cosmetic items or by monthly subscriptions to there server. Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see some servers have a pay to play where you have to buy say tickets to play a minigame like at a carnival where each ticket gets you one game. when you run out of tickets you have to buy more. The smaller servers will have an easier time finding a way to at least break even on their server cost without having to the extreme of charging monthly or by game which in turn should help grow some of the smaller servers to spread out the community a little bit.

What I would like to see happen between Mojang and server owners. I would love to see Mojang come off some their restrictions a little bit and at least try to negotiate with the server owners to find a medium ground. Something like a donation cap would be great. Maybe like $100-$200 max donation for a rank. Now this rank should still not have anything that a normal player can not obtain within reason. So say you run a factions server have it to where every player can get any kit you have ever sold whether with in-game currency or by having the kits unlocked by the amount of time you spend on the server or something like that but allow servers to sell these ranks for money for players that want to speed the process up.

These are just some of the things I have expressed in other places I thought i would share here. Feel free to comment.

Ice
By pelagius_septim
#127686 Reading the EULA thing actually makes me kinda mad... I remember running a server, nobody wants the hats, or the silly cosmetics, they want the good stuff, and sure, you can pay to win, but you can also play to win. Its a consumer choice, and they can do what they want with their money. And reading the paying to join thing really set me off, I would hate to have to pay to play minecraft. I did that once, and dont want to do it again. Honestly, EULA is a useless effort and Mojang will see a drop in servers if they do something like this.

Sure, there are some servers that take advantage of the donation idea, but those are the ones Mojang needs to directly target, not the smaller servers that have to request donations because its really hard to make funds. So like Ice said,
The big servers wont be closing, they will find a way to make money whether by selling some sort of cosmetic items or by monthly subscriptions to there server. Heck I wouldn't be surprised to see some servers have a pay to play where you have to buy say tickets to play a minigame like at a carnival where each ticket gets you one game. when you run out of tickets you have to buy more. The smaller servers will have an easier time finding a way to at least break even on their server cost without having to the extreme of charging monthly or by game which in turn should help grow some of the smaller servers to spread out the community a little bit.

It may help some of the smaller communities grow, but it will be hard to break even, meaning most could fall.
But yeah, thats my opinion, meaning you dont have to agree at all, we all have our own opinions, I personally think EULA is a waste of time, and a worthless effort.
JOIN THE TEAM