Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

Which pokemon generation is the best?

7%
14%
38%
25%
4%
12%
By hexer123
#121621 Okay i've played every gen but id have to say 4th is my favorite because the story was great, it added some really cool new additions (giratina [origin], luxray, staraptor, darkrai ect.), and it also breathed life into some old pokemon who before were useless like togikiss. togetic wasnt really good but togikiss was a monster when used right. plus there were some good tracks that were in the game along with some cool features like the GTS.

By LordHerobrine117
#121929 I have played games from every generation (at least one game from every paired version, and all stand-alone games). I had to vote Gen III, hands down. I love the Hoenn region and its Pokemon. There was so much to explore, and so many Pokemon to seek out and catch. I liked how I actually had to figure things out, and the side-quests (like catching the regis) were optional if you found them in the game. I liked X and Y, but they were way to linear with nothing outside of the storyline to do, and all the Pokemon were too easy to find. (#bagonatmeteorfalls, #feebas) In Hoenn, I played Emerald over and over for years, and I still might not have found everything. Hoenn was HUGE. The Hoenn post-game could have been better, but the X and Y post-game was even sorrier than Diamond and Pearl's. (I really hope they add new towns to Pokemon Z - Kalos is pretty tiny in playable map size...) Game Freak needs to realize that we aren't a bunch of 5-year-olds that will be impressed with skimpy content, even if it comes in 3D. (Case in Point: Stars Wars Episode I was made into 3D. It didn't fool anyone into thinking it was good. Actually, 3D Jar-Jar was even worse.) As for the Kanto remakes, I also loved how they added the Sevi Islands, which were pretty cool -if random- additions. But, if I had to pick a second favorite, its Gen II. Johto was awesome, especially when you could travel back to Kanto.

Also: F***ing Fairy type. D*** it Game Freak!
By AZTERIX_
#122082 Gen 3 FTW! I loved all the Pokémon, the music was great, amazing plot, and great theme (It's all about nature and weather.)
Only sad thing for me was that Pokémon didn't add Lucario in until next generation:(
By xReliquia
#122125 I have to go with generation 2. I started playing pokemon in the first generation with pokemon blue, which i thought was the best game ever. Until pokemon gold dropped, I loved the fact that it introduced dual typing and how some pokemon could now only be caught at certain times of day. I feel those two factors added quite a lot of depth to pokemon at the time.The Generation also added colour which made the region feel more 'alive' imo. It introduced breeding and specialized pokeballs. Generation two also had the longest main game story, which was a bonus in my opinion.
By 1stAviansie
#123825 gen 3 by far, added a bunch of my favourite pokemon, not to mention all the legendaries and deoxys and mew, replaced rattata with a raccoon pokemon, secret bases, good stuff. i still have that cartridge somewhere.. [emerald]
By umbrafox13
#123829 honestly, im a sucker for gen.6. the 3d graphics were amazing, they added pokemon amie and improved one of my already favorite pokemon pushing me to call it my absolute fav (it was an absol). I love looker's side-quest and I can tell you. gen.6 does have a whole load of post-game, mysteries and conspiracy theories (including the mystery event region theory and the shiny charm)
By TyfE
#124410 I chose Gen 1. Gen 1 is the only one where I can name all the pokemon. Also I just felt the more simple designs were better and they had more character. Then again I stopped watching the anime after Misty left, and the last pokemon game I completed was FireRed, so I've never really given all the generations a chance to grow on me. I still love Totodile, Chimchar and Treecko however.
By BBot4Life
1stAviansie » 05 May 2014 12:12 wrote:gen 3 by far, added a bunch of my favourite pokemon, not to mention all the legendaries and deoxys and mew, replaced rattata with a raccoon pokemon, secret bases, good stuff. i still have that cartridge somewhere.. [emerald]

Well mew was a gen 1 pokemon. But I agree gen 3 was good but not my favourite. Heck heres a list of each gen and how i feel about them in order of least favourite to most:
Gen 1: Hear the genwunners rage. In all honesty gen 1 sucked. It had outdated graphics for its time, the designs were horrible and it was full of glitches. The only thing good about it was nostalgia and that's it. I do love the music from the first gen though it is not my favourite by any means.

Gen 5: This gen gets a ton of undeserved hate. I know I'm ranking it low on this list but that doesn't mean i don't love it. Gen 5 had added a lot more from the previous games that I just loved. I thought the music was great, team plasma's whole thing was different and I liked seeing how they decided which legendary you get. Other than that though, there wasn't really any pokemon i thought were really cool. I liked Haxorous but there were better dragon pokemon from previous games.

Gen 3: Yup. Gen 3 is my 4th favourite region. In all honesty I loved most aspects of emerald. The added abilities which were a huge game changer in competitive and on top of that 2 of my favourite legendaries. It also added Metagross my favourite steel type and Salamence who was my favourite dragon of that time and my second favourite to date. The problem I had with Hoenn was the region itself. I. Hate. Water. There was way too much water for its own good and it just irritated me. I didn't like the design of it and that's why its 4th.

Gen 6: The most beautiful Pokemon game ever made. The change to 3d was a well done one and definitely improved how incredible the game felt. Having pokemon from every gen was good but introducing mega evolutions to older gens was something better. A lot of my top 10 pokemon got mega evolutions which made me happy but Charizard (my second favourite pokemon) getting 2 and 1 changing him to dragon type was much better. I loved the games from the moment i saw the trailer and Yveltal instantly stood out. I knew to play Y first and now Yveltal is one of my top 10 pokemon out of how badass he is. My only real problem is that it was WAY to easy. Not once did i ever really feel challenged like in previous games.

Gen 2: My god the masteriece that is Johto. This game is so brilliant. The beautiful region, the incredible pokemon Johto is just wonderful. Introducing the types dark and steel to help balance out the psychic type was clearly needed. Johto had a variety of legendaries including Lugia who just barely misses my top 10. After finding out about dark and steel types i decided i had to get one of each. Therefore I got a Houndoom and Scizor, 2 incredibly powerful pokemon. I love the music and the fact that you not only play through Johto but Kanto to was brilliant. I was all the more impressed when I found out that the remakes Heart Gold and Soul Silver were coming out on the ds. I got both of the games and played non-stop building my old team. I can't say much that i dislike about gen 2 but if I had to pick something it would be Miltank. You know the one...

GEN 4: By far, the best Pokemon gen of all time. It was the first to be on the ds and it looked amazing. It is my favourite region design and has the best pokemon available to it. It introduced the physical special split which was the biggest impact on competitive battling added to pokemon. Now moves like leaf blade and fire punch were physical instead of special which made a lot more sense. The music was just fantastic whether it be Cyus's team galactic boss theme or Cynthias champion theme it was brilliant. The legendaries were the creation trio Dialga, a steel dragon that looks amazing, Palkia, the beast with spacial rend and Giratina my FAVOURITE legendary of all the games. It also added Arceus the 'God' pokemon and Uxie, Azelf and Mesprit. It adds Regigigas going back to previous legendaries Manaphy and Heatran and of course Cresselia and Darkrai. So many incredible legendaries at once. But i didn't forget about Shaymin. It's a hedgehog which is my favourite animal what else can I say? Anyway gen 4 adds more of my favourite pokemon than any other gen totalling to 6 out of my top 10! This includes #10 Staraptor, #8 Luxray, #6 Giratina, #5 Lucario, #3 Garchomp and #1 Torterra. This gen did so much right and will remain in my heart forever.
JOIN THE TEAM