Forum rules: This forum is for writing guides only. Do not post topics here to ask questions; post these questions in General Discussion or the Support Tracker.

Do not post bugs here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker
By enkilleridos
#93369 This topic is actually relevant because I just fixed a crash that I thought was related to Pixelmon.

Here is what happened. I installed Ubuntu Studio 12.04 because Windows and its performance with Pixelmon, Blender, and Eclipse on my computer started to piss me off. I did a fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 12.04 which comes with blender. Then I downloaded minecraft but couldn't open the jar. So I downloaded OpenJDK because it was easier to run Minecraft. Unfortunately, OpenJDK causes minecraft to crash when installed with Pixelmon during certain events. Some sidemods that have dependencies on Pixelmon causes Minecraft to crash when used with OpenJDK.

So I used a program called alien to convert a .rpm to a .deb file to install the latest Java from the official site.

The link to the .deb file is here (it is for amd x64, I could make .deb files of the other versions if need be or you can follow my instructions below): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_jvGv ... pmOUU/edit

you get alien by apt-get

sudo apt-get install alien

then download the java .rpm file from the main page.

once that is done in the terminal go to your Downloads folder. Which you type cd Downloads (default settings.)

If you haven't yet download the Minecraft.jar file from Minecraft.net

then type sudo alien <package file name>.rpm --scripts

alien then makes the .deb file needed to install Java 7

To run the minecraft jar using the java -jar Minecraft.jar you need to make it an executable program. To do this you type:
chmod a+x Minecraft.jar

The terminal has to be in the same folder as the Minecraft.jar file

Then type java -jar Minecraft.jar and it should run using Oracles JRE. Which should eliminate Minecraft crashing when loading certain mods due to the official JRE having libraries many mod makers use that doesn't come with OpenJDK.

I hope this helps the Ubuntu users lurking in the shadows looking for solutions to this problem and OpenJDK's somewhat incompatibility with certain Pixelmon side-mods.

I would like to note that you shouldn't install Eclipse using the Ubuntu Software Center if you do this as it installs OpenJDK and sets it as default. While OpenJDK does work with minecraft and pixelmon. If you want to use a certain mini-map side mod it will not work, it will crash.

JOIN THE TEAM