Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Nissalee
#67207 My fiance and I started a fresh world after the update in order to have all new chunks. We are going a long, enjoying all the new Pixelmon and the new shoes. We set up camp very close to a conveniently spawned Pokecenter. I got to digging right away, going deep into the ground. I've been in a mine area for about the last 2 hours, between levels 20 and 50, digging up ALL gravel I see. However, I haven't seen a fossil yet. My luck is terrible with this, and always has been. I was thrilled to read the spawn was being increased, but I'm not sure to what degree. Has anyone else still been struggling to get a fossil? Should it still take me long hours to find one?

By Wx16
#67316 I had a look at the code changes for fossil generation on the Pixelmon Github. I'm not very experienced in programming but I'll try to make sense of it as best I can. Note that I will probably grossly oversimplify the process or possibly be waaaaay off. :P

I'll start with how it used to be. For each chunk, it will try to place 3 fossils but it will only happen if the conditions are right. It will get a random X and Z coordinate within that chunk and a random Y coordinate within 20 - 50. If the block at those coordinates is a gravel block it gets replaced with a fossil block.

Now with the update, it will try to place 4 fossils per chunk instead of 3. I haven't been fossil hunting in the new version yet but I don't think the generation rate increase would be very noticeable although it is helpful. It's still largely luck based so all you have to do is keep trying (but I know how frustrating it can get). Hope you guys find some soon! :)
By GhostWolf2398
#67327 It is a 33% increase in the rate of fossil spawning, and as previously mentioned they spawn on in levels 20-50, in all biomes. You still will want to look next to/inside of gravel patches. I highly recommend using iron/aluminum shovels, as theses have the most efficient removal of the gravel, and decent lifespans.

There are no magic levels in that range that spawn more, it is completely random. I personally have only found 2 fossils ever while digging. They are still very rare, but it is better than it was in 2.2.
By Nissalee
#67333 Thanks for the feedback. This definitely helped me understand the changes made!
JOIN THE TEAM