Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By ChaoticIntake
#44513 I've tried using Techne. It seems simple enough, because I have nearly no artistic talent. It's just a bunch of freakin cubes, right?

WRONG.

Why is it that Karry's and Omerta's and Edeodin's models look so SMOOTH, and made out of things other than cubes? No way you can do that with a bunch of elongated cubes. Is there something I'm missing? Are there ways to get things that aren't SQUARE shaped on Techne?

Out of all the guides we have, we don't have one that explicitly states how to make shapes other than cubes or rectangular prisms on Techne.

Hhhhooooowwwwwwww

Edit because I forgot something: How do I remove that irritating blue dot from all my pieces?

By KuryoZT
#44520 Ok, I don't really know how to react to that.
First, the reason some parts don't look squarish, is because of the texture.Techne makes only squarish things. But what our awsome modelers can do, is put white, or "transparent" on the cube, so when you look at it, some parts don't even show up, and the square becomes some feathers for example.
You'd need to ask a modeler for details though.
And you can't get rid of the blue ball, I don't think so, it's the point from where you can rotate the block.
And yes, I repeat, Techne's models are nothing but cubes.
By ChaoticIntake
KuryoZT wrote:Ok, I don't really know how to react to that.
First, the reason some parts don't look squarish, is because of the texture.Techne makes only squarish things. But what our awsome modelers can do, is put white, or "transparent" on the cube, so when you look at it, some parts don't even show up, and the square becomes some feathers for example.
You'd need to ask a modeler for details though.
And you can't get rid of the blue ball, I don't think so, it's the point from where you can rotate the block.
And yes, I repeat, Techne's models are nothing but cubes.

Thanks for responding to my 4AM sleep-deprived ramblings.

And thanks for the insight. I'll never be as good as anyone here, but this will make me feel like less of an idiot now when I mess around with the program.
By Edeodin
ChaoticIntake wrote:I've tried using Techne. It seems simple enough, because I have nearly no artistic talent. It's just a bunch of freakin cubes, right?

WRONG.

Why is it that Karry's and Omerta's and Edeodin's models look so SMOOTH, and made out of things other than cubes? No way you can do that with a bunch of elongated cubes. Is there something I'm missing? Are there ways to get things that aren't SQUARE shaped on Techne?

Out of all the guides we have, we don't have one that explicitly states how to make shapes other than cubes or rectangular prisms on Techne.

Hhhhooooowwwwwwww

Edit because I forgot something: How do I remove that irritating blue dot from all my pieces?

Yup they're all cubes, every single one. But there's a couple of things we do to hide that fact.

Kuryo has already explained a good practice that the three of us use, and you'll see it used on mine and Karry's models especially. If you make a cube 1 thick in a direction, and then erase all of the texture except for on one side, suddenly you can draw any shape on that one side. If you look at the Kangaskhan I did recently, the ears and teeth were done with this technique.

Spoiler:

There's also texture blocks, which like the above technique involve erasing parts of the texture. I didn't start doing this until Parasect but it's really freaking handy. Basically if you have a hole in your model that is at an odd angle and you can't fill it, you put a block in there anyway and then erase the parts that go past where you want to fill. Like this:

Spoiler:

The red block is the texture block and I've erased any parts that overlapped with the other two blocks so it looks like it's a smooth transition.

Also rotated blocks are your friend. They help things look less blocky, and if you line them up together in a sequence you get a nice smooth curve (like with Parasect). It takes a bit of practice and it can be really frustrating, but it's worth it in the end. And don't be afraid to intersect blocks. You can hide parts of blocks within other blocks so at times they don't even looks like six-sided shapes and you don't have to erase parts.

Finally HD textures and some well-placed colouring/shading can hide the form of blocks. I've had a few models that I wasn't too sure of before texturing, and the moment I added some colour it was like BAM awesome. :lol:

Oh yeah and the blue dot is where your block rotates from, and it's really important that all your related blocks (e.g. arm blocks) share the same blue dot. You can turn it off if it's really annoying you though. Under Tools -> Settings uncheck the "Show Anchor Point" option and it will disappear once you click off any selected boxes.

Hopefully the modelling secret makes a little more sense now XD Course if you have any questions you can always PM me for some advice. I'll do what I can. :D
By KuryoZT
#44694 And that, ladys and gentleman, this post right above mine, is why I love this community. Thank you Edeodin
I just wanna ask, how long did it take you to write this wall, well-written and pleasing to the eyes. I have so much to learn from you. I'm so bad at writing XD
Don't worry, in this part of the forum, I can delete any post, so if this feels too much off-topic, I'll just erase it and learn from it, never stray off the path. (it's no abuse of power, is it?)

I'll like to add, if I can, that Edeodin mentions "1 thick cubes" because 0 is a no-go. Just putting this out there. But after the much detailed work Edeodin has done, I think nothing else needs to be covered.
Is there? And I was wrong for the blue ball, sorry. I am no modeler.
JOIN THE TEAM