Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Darksnake23
#167038 SO, question. trying to play pixelmon using the launcher so i can play a more recent version. What are the best and necessary mods to get for 4.1.3 since 4.1.4 isn't on the launcher yet. Ive tried just moving the mods from scraveys pixelmon on the technic launcher and the game would just crash or not load the pixelmon. If anyone has any good mod ideas or some help that would be great. I would love to have NEI on there as well as a map mod and any other good ones.

By Marriland
#167159 There aren't a ton of mods available for 1.8.x of Minecraft, unfortunately, but I've found a few nice ones that help enhance the gameplay. They're what I use in my custom modpack. Not sure whether linking to other mods is allowed here or not, but you can find all of the ones listed at Curse Forge.

Inventory Tweaks
Really nice mod that's in a lot of 1.7 packs anyway. Better inventory sorting, chest sorting, etc.

NEI
Works with Pixelmon, though is a little buggy at times. Remember to press 'O' to hide NEI during certain parts, and if you get stuck in Pixelmon menus, you sometimes have to type a bunch of junk in the search bar so you can click the back arrow.

Hopper Ducts
Works like hoppers, but can also move vertically. Meant to be like a pipe system. Definitely helpful for automation and moving stuff around.

IronChests
So many items exist in Pixelmon, so having larger chests is really helpful to help store them all.

Storage Drawers
Great way to store large quantities of a single item or of multiple items. Like Barrels in older modpacks. Also helps with automation if you use the Storage Controller and an array of the drawers.

Backpacks!
There are a few backpack mods for 1.8.x, but Backpacks! is simple and seems to work pretty reliably. Gives you items that you can use to store other items in. Like other chests. Works with Inventory Tweaks, too.

JourneyMap
You mentioned you need a map mod, so JourneyMap is decent option that even has some compatibility with Pixelmon (doesn't show the species, but does show them as mobs on the map).

There are a few others that I use, but these are the ones that probably help out the most. And of course there are the other mods available on Pixelmon, but it sounded like you were looking for more general mods rather than Pixelmon-related ones, since those are easy to find around here.
By MoeBoy76
Marriland wrote:NEI
Works with Pixelmon, though is a little buggy at times. Remember to press 'O' to hide NEI during certain parts, and if you get stuck in Pixelmon menus, you sometimes have to type a bunch of junk in the search bar so you can click the back arrow.

JourneyMap
You mentioned you need a map mod, so JourneyMap is decent option that even has some compatibility with Pixelmon (doesn't show the species, but does show them as mobs on the map).

Some comments on the use and issues of the above mods:

NEI
ChickenBones is not the best at being compatible and afaik his 1.8 stuff is not very stable, hence no WAILA for 1.8 and therefore no WAWLA for 1.8

JouneyMap
AKA The new "All your RAM are belong to minimap" mod (mapwriter being the previous title holder)
It has lots of cool features (like having an openable webpage where you can look at the world you have visited, just like dynmap) but it uses far more CPU and RAM than is necessary to have a simple minimap loaded

The 2 main alternatives to JM are Xaero's Minimap, which i assume work fine but i have never used, and the fabulous VoxelMap (formerly Zan's Minimap), the only minor down side to VM is that you need to install LiteLoader, which can be done by either extracting the jar or by installing it as a version that extends Forge (both done via the LL installer)
By Marriland
MoeBoy76 wrote:
Marriland wrote:NEI

JourneyMap

Some comments on the use and issues of the above mods:

NEI
ChickenBones is not the best at being compatible and afaik his 1.8 stuff is not very stable, hence no WAILA for 1.8 and therefore no WAWLA for 1.8

JouneyMap
AKA The new "All your RAM are belong to minimap" mod (mapwriter being the previous title holder)
It has lots of cool features (like having an openable webpage where you can look at the world you have visited, just like dynmap) but it uses far more CPU and RAM than is necessary to have a simple minimap loaded

The 2 main alternatives to JM are Xaero's Minimap, which i assume work fine but i have never used, and the fabulous VoxelMap (formerly Zan's Minimap), the only minor down side to VM is that you need to install LiteLoader, which can be done by either extracting the jar or by installing it as a version that extends Forge (both done via the LL installer)

I agree in regards to JourneyMap being a bit RAM-heavy, but there was a recent update that at least fixed a lag-spike of death issue that's been causing problems for awhile. It's still my map of choice, but your mileage may vary.

NEI has worked great on 1.8, though, even with Pixelmon (with the exceptions listed earlier), which I know wasn't the most compatible pairing in the past. WAILA is also available for 1.8 and works pretty well as of the recent version.

I'd encourage OP to at least test them out to see if they work well for him/her.
JOIN THE TEAM