Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By nickshaul97
#163794 Hello this morning I received a message from someone trying to make a Mega Cashrun pixelmon server by combining tons of servers together. The message is posted below. I know that alot of players and pixelmon staff HATE cashrun P2W servers. This is exactly what this guy is trying to do. I removed all contact info from the post but please take the time to consider this and realize this will hurt the community of pixelmon if this happens. It would be come 1 power house P2W server that can hurt the balance severely. Thank you, Nick.

Hello there!

I've sent this message out to 9 other Pixelmon servers in regards to coming together to create a mega server. As someone who used to run a Pixelmon server I understand it can be difficult to secure funds from smaller playerbases to help pay for servers, websites, building, plugin development, etc. Imagine the sorts of things that could be achieved if 10 Pixelmon servers came together to create a server that could rival the largest Pixelmon servers and have access to the funds necessary to continue development and even provide excess cash to yourself.

Over the past few years I've helped found a few large server for various games, the first being one for a Minecraft-esque game known as Starmade. At the time private servers weren't that plentiful so a handful of individuals and myself started a fundraiser to generate necessary funds while giving players who backed the project in-game rewards. From having no player-base or connections in the community we managed to raise all the needed funds and then some and gain 700+ members on our website in under a week, a total around $600. The server still runs under a different name to this day.

With that same group a few years later we founded a Pixelmon Server, Pixelmon Legends. During the uptime of the server I basically did everything on the server from using World Painter to recreate the Hoenn region to building, coding/hosting the website, and nearly everything else. While we were up for only a month or so (all the others had lost interest by that point) we had gained around 200 members and nearly $400 in donations in the first week.

My proposal is to create a fundraising campaign between all the communities to raise funds for a dedicated server(s), website, building, etc. either through a platform such as Indiegogo or hosted privately. With the combined effort of all the communities together I believe that we could make an amazing Pixelmon server. If in the off chance that we couldn't secure the necessary funding your existing community and servers would still be up and there wouldn't be any loss knowing that we tried.

If you're interested in the proposal don't hesitate to contact me over Skype: CENSORED . It should be easier to communicate there through a group chat as opposed to Enjin.

For the project I'd also offer my abilities in graphic design and web development for hire, and you can view my temporary portfolio here: CENSORED

I look forward to hearing from you and creating the best Pixelmon server!
-Noble

By imaapseudonym
#163827 Thanks for the heads up!
By Vikerus
#163879 I'm all for communal hubs but that does sound shallow. Lets show the mod some respect unnamed shadow figure... lol
By imaapseudonym
#163882 I'm not even sure I'm in for communal hubs. I don't remember the last big push working out too well.
By nickshaul97
#163888 It works out for the head guy. He can screw over all server owners. And if there is problems players have to see what server they are on to report it to. Its better for everyone to let the servers have there own community and there own thoughts and ideas.
By Vikerus
#163892 Idk, the pixelmon hub was fun. And while it was working it worked well for us. If pixelmon hosted an official hub server that would be cool. For sure won't ever happen... but it does sound fun. I met a bunch of other server owners through the last hub. Wasn't a bad experience for me personally.
By imaapseudonym
#163893 I never it involved with that round. I felt like I was opening myself up for security risks (even though I was told repeatedly it was fine).
By Vikerus
#163936 There are two major risks with a hub server serving multiple server networks. One is that if the hub has a hiccup and crashes then only if the hub is brought back up can players again flow through to the main servers. (Always have a hub owner if you are involved with one on Skype or TS at all times...)

The second has to do with trust more or less. One server can always try to buy off the hub owner to redirect connections with a simple restart and config change. But you have to remember that people don't like to be tricked into joining different servers, so that isn't really a huge issue. Players would end up distrusting the hub in the first place. More often then not it's the small stuff that goes on within the hub, like micro advertising and theme placements that get owners mad at each other if there is any foul play.

Only reason I'm spending any time talking about this is we should remember the value to be gained with working together and not always write off the larger group as wholly untrustworthy. There is a lot to gain in a communal hub if the right person(s) is chosen to lead it.
By imaapseudonym
#163939 I agree with your last statement.
Only reason I'm spending any time talking about this is we should remember the value to be gained with working together and not always write off the larger group as wholly untrustworthy.

I do think Server owners would gain a lot by working together instead of competing with each other. Each server specializes in something different and are good at entirely different things. Some are amazing at adventure servers and storytelling and design. Others can set up survival servers and make them compelling and extremely enjoyable to play on.

I believe you are a great for instance, Vikerus. You have been in this (literal) game for a while now. I know you do a great job with adventure servers. I enjoy creating survival servers where players can design their own towns and create their own stories. Both create an enjoyable atmosphere.

I don't know if a communal hub is the way to go again to form a relationship like that but.. I do agree we should have one. I wish that skype chat that was had long time ago was a better success. Some peeps are just drama filled. Its sad.
By nickshaul97
#163972 Well also some players are attracted to the most free stuff. If one server advertises free free free then it can attract players all to one server. Also 1 guy that isnt part of the pixelmon team heading it up that no one knows clearly isnt doing it for the community. He even stated money in your pocket in his message. That would mean that who ever pays him the most gets the most priority and players.
JOIN THE TEAM