Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Jephon
#163597 Ok, so recently I was campaigning to maybe see more attention given to the servers still using Minecraft 1.7.9 w/ Pixelmon 3.4/3.5 as we are unable to upgrade since sponge was unstable.
I was later corrected and said essentially that servers really need to jump on board.
I saw reason in this so I attempted to do such.

I started out by using forge and adding sponge to it. So far so good. Everything works. Sponge has created its files and is loading in the console.
Then I started looking for plugins. And of course this is where I start to falter.
*GriefPrevention[ Thread ] : No mod released.
*Prism [ Thread ]: No Mod Released
*PermissionsEx [ Thread ]: Lack of documentation (Thanks MoeBoy76 for writing up some) // latest version doesn't start with the latest version of sponge.
*Core [ Thread]: WORKS! An easy (although op) replacement for essentials. I feel almost like the plugin creator has added too much to this one plugin but hasn't perfected any of it.

The above are the reasons why I am unable to upgrade. This plus the fact that I'm constantly seeing posts about Sponge changing their apis thus making plugin creators rewrite bits of their coding only slowing down progress. It feels very much like the beta mod that it is. I just do not see myself moving to 1.8 until I am confident in my ability to have a functional and stable server without having to constantly stress why certain plugins are no longer working or worrying about an update that fixes one bug but breaks every plugin I have installed.

Some good news.
For those trying to venture through Sponge and are reading this thread, I do have some substitutions for you to try to use. I would like to see more servers on 1.8 so that hopefully more plugin creators also move that way and pick back up their plugins they haven't started/finished.

*GriefPrevention:
Griefprevention is a land claiming tool that is simple to use for players. As we all know, simplistic is key for our players. None of the alternatives I have found is as simplistic as GP is but they come close.

-- Polis Closer to Factions or Towny, this plugin can protect against griefers. I was intending to use this as it would be the closest to serve my purpose.

-- Zones within the Core plugin.
Again, this plugin has so many features but not one of them feel completed. The Zones part of the Core plugin functions very similar to GP IF it functioned at all. I never could make a zone.

*Prism:
-- Just one alternative for Prism/Hawkeye/whatever you used to use: BlockTrackR

I haven't gotten to the point I could test it so I have no idea if it works. What threw me for a loop was when the creator wrote: "You can use the web interface to retrieve them en mass or via the in-game tool that I've botched together." I'd personally not like to use a tool someone blotched together.. In any case, its the only alternative to Prism atm that I saw.

Having said all this, I would MUCH rather be on Minecraft 1.8.8 and with the very latest version of Pixelmon (Not talking about Pixelmon Legacy) when I start up. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get me to that point so that I am confident in the condition and quality of the server, please let me know!

Thanks!

By Jay113355
#163598 Sponge isn't the only option you know.
There are some mods like forge-essentials and permissionforge that will get you the basics. and land-defender is a semi good alternative to greifprevention.

I'm sure sponge will be great.. Once they finish squeezing out all the bug juice. But for now forge has a mature API. its just a matter of finding good server tools that use it.
Here is a place to start http://www.curse.com/mc-mods/minecraft/ ... er-utility
By prodkid
#163599 Hai, well grief prevention acutually has a port version, found here
https://github.com/MinecraftPortCentral/GriefPrevention

Also I would recommend EsstianlsCmds over Core, its pretty awesome and made by the same guy who made Polis
https://forums.spongepowered.org/t/esse ... ponge/8576
By Jephon
#163603 Jay, I gotta say.. That's probably the best suggestion I can hope for! Thank you. When I first started playing with server ownership, it was back in MC 1.4 and these such mods didn't exist (puts away cane and dentures) but I'm happy to see they do now!

It's funny. I had just given up last night after working 5 hours on getting it going. I guess I shall give it one more shot before I roll back to 1.7.

Thanks!
By Jephon
#163614 Ok, two things..
Does anyone know of a forge mod that doesn't use plots but use a wand similar to griefprevention. I like my simplisticity.

Also, are there any other locations I could find server tools similar to the one Jay suggested? I have to believe there are more mods than that out there. Most of those are still recommended for 1.7..

Thanks
By Jephon
prodkid wrote:Hai, well grief prevention acutually has a port version, found here
https://github.com/MinecraftPortCentral/GriefPrevention

Also I would recommend EsstianlsCmds over Core, its pretty awesome and made by the same guy who made Polis
https://forums.spongepowered.org/t/esse ... ponge/8576

I feel like if I ask this, I shouldn't even be trying this but how does one compile the source code from GitHub? I assume it would be something similar to cloning it to desktop and then using a java compiler but I don't use GitHub much and didn't know if there is another way.
By DiscoverNewWorlds
#163635 Well what about the people who use essentials. Essentials from that last I know has not updated. There NEEDS to be something that runs ANY spigot or bukkit plugins on sponge before most people will update. Most servers do not have the money to pay for all custom plugins they have to be ported over.
By Jephon
#163640 The plugins Core and SpongeEssentials contains most of Essential commands you are looking for. GroupManager, which is an module of Essentials, (or anything similar) isn't in either of those but you can use Pex if you can find a working version.

Essentials isn't a big concern imo. It can be easily replaced. It's griefprevention and prism which I have yet to see a true replacement for. That includes both forge mods and sponge plugins..

I'm moving ahead with just forge mods as I feel forge is stable (although the server utlity mods are iffy it isn't as bad as both the Api and the plugins both being iffy..).
By clienthax
MrMasochism wrote:If you can send me an exact run-down on how you want a grief protection and prism plug-in to run I could look at coding them

WorldGuards already in a process of being ported quite heavily,
and griefprevention is mostly ported also
https://github.com/MinecraftPortCentral
JOIN THE TEAM