Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By sjc363000
#159397 Ok, so where do I begin, sigh. If I'm not in the right forum, my apologies, can someone help redirect me?

I'm a dad of a daughter who loves Minecraft and Pokemon. So she asked me to set up a private Pixelmon server for her friends.

I am a software engineer, so I have familiarity with Java, Eclipse, and Linux. I have set up a local server in the past on which my daughter and friends have played. But my Minecraft and Pokemon knowledge isn't super.

Anyway, I'm trying to set up a private Pixelmon server. I've downloaded Pixelmon 3.4 and am running a server which I've downloaded through forge (fml?) I've gotten to the point where I got a server running and my daughter is able to log in from a different machine. However, it doesn't prompt her for any starter pokemon. I see some grayed out Pokemon balls on the left side of the screen so something must have worked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

By clienthax
#159399 This is a common bug in the 1.7.10 versions, we have fixed this in the latest release (releasing very soon) for 1.8 mc,
You can give her a starter by using the command /pokegive PokemonName which should work just fine for the meantime if you don't want to use the 1.8 versions
By sjc363000
#159438 Thanks for the reply!

I must have done something else wrong. It doesn't recognize the command "pokegive". But something must have gone right because I do say grayed out pokeballs on the client.

If you don't have any other suggestions, I'll probably just try to install 4.0.6 and 1.8 and see how that works out for me. Thanks!
By skywardstrike28
#159440 Hmm. Sounds like you didn't install the mod to the server. You would have put the mod in your mods folder right? That would mean its on your client but not the servers, and while its on your client it always shows the pokeballs on the sidebar. Unless you are seeing pokemon spawn all over the place, in which case I have no clue whats wrong.
By JamieS1211
#159526 If the mod is on the client it will give you the pokeballs. The pixelmon stuff however will only work if the mod is installed on the server too. Its also probably best to use the latest version of pixelmon due to new features and squashed bugs but 1.8 is more difficult for the client to run so you could see some lag client side.

Every version of pixelmon has a recommended version of forge. This recommended version is listed in the "Forge link" column for each pixelmon version. Make sure your server box is running that version of forge as a server. When it runs for the first time it will generate a mods folder, into this folder place the pixelmon universal jar file. If the mods folder hasn't generated your probably running the minecraft server jar. Try running the forge-[version numbers]-universal.jar file. For example this is my private server as seen though WinSCP.

Also here is my start-up script. I am using the screenie package and running linux debian. It starts the server with 1GB of ram in on-line mode in a virtual screen session that won't terminate when you disconnect via putty.
Code: Select all#!/bin/bash
echo "killing old screen"
screen -S PrivateServer -X kill

sleep 1
echo "starting new screen"
screen -S PrivateServer -d -m

sleep 1
echo "opening directory in screen"
screen -S PrivateServer -X stuff "cd /home/mc/PrivateServer
"

sleep 1
echo "running forge process"
screen -S PrivateServer -X stuff "java -jar forge-1.8-11.14.3.1450-universal.jar -d64 -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -o true
"

sleep 1
echo "server booted"
echo "end."

By sjc363000
#159555 Yup, you guys nailed it (upon retrospect, I guess it was obvious!)

I was running with the minecraft_server.jar rather than the forge universal jar. I woulda sworn I tried that before and it didn't work (maybe I just didn't set executable rights). But it works now.

Thanks!
JOIN THE TEAM