Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By ZeeCount
Kryyss wrote:
The reason pixelmon went that way is that it always annoyed me in the pokemon games that you could never see the pokemon out in the world, it was always such an artificial mechanic. To me part of the fun of a universe like pokemon is seeing them in the wild and watching them interact with each other

There was a fascinating video on youtube from ExtraCredits which looked at the reason why the Western and Eastern RPG games ended up being so different. Most of it was actually down to cultural reasons but when you think about it, the differences actually made a ton of sense once you understand the minds of the people behind it.

Since you grew up in a Western culture you require a sense of logic behind what you consider acceptable. The idea of walking across an empty area and then suddenly being thrown into a battle, as is common in the JRPG, doesn't make sense to you. But in previous eastern culture this was acceptable because they are less concerned with the 'why' and more accepting of the unexpected.

Look at the early Anime as an example. Most of it doesn't actually go into much detail explaining why something is happening. The ever-famous Akira is a fine example of not-explaining-everything fiction which the Eastern culture is used to, but western audiences may sit down with that movie and dislike it because there is never any clear reason 'why' any of this is happening. Tetsu gains abilities inexplicably, loses control and turns into a blob monster. It seems kinda random but the underlying principle behind the movie was entrenched in the Eastern idea of Chi. The concept that Chi defines a persons ability to control their surroundings and themselves and the question was raised during the movie - What if an Amoeba had the power/chi of a human, would it have the ability to use or even control that? Tetsuo became the human equivalent of the Amoeba. But the movie never really explained how or why it happened. Yet it is still a great film due to the story and characterisation.

Pokemon is like Akira, but at least it gives you some reasonable justification as to why creatures only appear in the grass. But many westerners would be struggling to understand how an Onix could hide in a couple square feet of grass :) For me, I just accept that and enjoy the game - but I fully understand your irritation with the mechanic.

One problem with this argument is that there are many JRPGs that use visible enemy encounters. For example:

Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger
EarthBound
Hyperdimension Neptunia series
Dragon Quest IX
Blue Dragon
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
etc

As for the reasons for why JRPGs tend to use random encounters a lot, this is a mechanic choice which in the past was due to hardware limitations, but is now used as a way of artificially increasing the length or difficulty of a game.

By Kryyss
#155708 The games you mention are all titles which happened during the Golden Age of gaming, when you started to see eastern and western ideas being mixed. There is a very valid reason why the JRPG exists and it is due to the distinct mechanics associated with it compared to western RPGs. Very few of those games could rightly be called a JRPG simply due to the country of origin. The Final Fantasy games would be considered in that genre however.

I'm sure hardware limitations played a part in the origins, but the same limitations existed for the western developers and they still chose to have a spawning mechanic which made sense from their point of view.

The ExtraCredits went into a great deal of depth on this matter. If you find time at some point, I would really suggest you have a look.

If anyone is doing mod development or tinkering with any kind of game design, I would highly recommend you sit down and watch everything that ExtraCredits has about game design. These guys are seriously clued up.
By ZeeCount
#155716 I'm confused as to how this is relevant when talking about the mechanics of the Pokemon games, given that they came out after both Chrono Trigger and EarthBound were released? (Btw, the so called golden age of Japanese gaming is usually defined as the 1980s, to the early 1990s, so all of the games I mentioned came after this period, not during it).

Is your argument that somehow Chrono Trigger and EarthBound are not JRPGs, or that random encounters are essential to a JRPG? If you are saying that Chrono Trigger isn't a JRPG because of its use of visible enemies, then that is a 'No True Scotsman' fallacy. If you are saying that JRPGs originally having random encounters in the 1970s, and this was a defining feature of the genre, then you missing the fact that game genres evolve over time, and even if this was true in the 1970s, we are not talking about a game from that time.

As for extra credits, they make some fantastic videos, but as with almost all critical analysis, the majority of the conclusions they draw are usually opinion based and are highly biased towards certain positions that James holds. I highly recommend their extra history segments however; those have been brilliant so far.
By SPG
ZeeCount wrote:all of the games I mentioned came after this period, not during it).

actually zelda came out in 1985 so it was during (earthbound was 94 so that could also be considered early 90's to some) not the point though
JOIN THE TEAM