Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By OmegaXI5
#152941 Hey there guys. I, like most of us are excited for the pixelmon 4 release BUT there are some walls (which according to my sources, at the moment cannot be climbed or I'm mistaken on some point. Meaning this thread could be useless).

As most of you know, MCPC/Cauldron is no longer updating to 1.8, meaning that we cannot use plugins on our server. BUT the other big alternative is sponge API.

This is their aim:-
For those who are more familiar with the community, Sponge combines the best parts of Bukkit, Forge, Spout, Spigot, Cauldron, and many other projects into one API.

But read this:- https://www.reddit.com/r/spongeproject/ ... able_with/ (Not that i know that this source is reliable).

That wrapper is called Pore, acting as a bridge between the mod and bukkit to support bukkit plugins BUT again many plugins would not probably be supported (outdated).

Pore is unlikely to ever get off the drawing board. ShaRose has expressed his opinion recently that a loader for Bukkit plugins won't be legal to distribute. This disappoints me as much as anyone, but that's the way it rolls. [frowning] Here's the blurb from IRC: <ShaRose> welp, after looking it over I'm entirely convinced there is no legal way to make a legal loader for bukkit plugins <Hubok> Didn't someone mention loading different .jar files doesn't violate the GPL?

Probably no pixelmon server could survive without plugins.

Of course my research could have taken a wrong lead. Your thoughts guys?

By SPG
#152945 wasnt this already expected? let alone widely known? its one of those things where you just have to wait to get what you had originally ported by someone, or find the next best thing (or make due with dropping it all together) not much we can do about this harsh reality because someone over at bukkit went bat shit insane
By CrazyQuilman157
#152947 Honestly, I find a Pixelmon server gets worse with adding plug-ins. Then again, I use config file alterations and gamerule changes...
By OmegaXI5
SPG wrote:wasnt this already expected? let alone widely known? its one of those things where you just have to wait to get what you had originally ported by someone, or find the next best thing (or make due with dropping it all together) not much we can do about this harsh reality because someone over at bukkit went bat shit insane

Of course what you have said is perfectly true. Just that I wanted to test out bugs on the latest pixelmon mod with my staff team on a host while setting up plugins, which naturally forced me to research since I was lacking knowledge.

And since some miracles happen (probably not in this case) there might be some solution.

On another note. Would it be wise to start a 1.7.10 server with the latest 3.x release or wait for the things to be ported over to avoid any map reset and start it on 1.8?

CrazyQuilman157 wrote:Honestly, I find a Pixelmon server gets worse with adding plug-ins. Then again, I use config file alterations and gamerule changes...

Everyone has different perspectives. If you ask me, a pixelmon server would be meaningless without plugins. For example, essentials is globally used, there are groups to differentiate people in ranks and such. I appreciate what you thought about the situation though.
By SPG
OmegaXI5 wrote:
SPG wrote:wasnt this already expected? let alone widely known? its one of those things where you just have to wait to get what you had originally ported by someone, or find the next best thing (or make due with dropping it all together) not much we can do about this harsh reality because someone over at bukkit went bat shit insane

Of course what you have said is perfectly true. Just that I wanted to test out bugs on the latest pixelmon mod with my staff team on a host while setting up plugins, which naturally forced me to research since I was lacking knowledge.

And since some miracles happen (probably not in this case) there might be some solution.

On another note. Would it be wise to start a 1.7.10 server with the latest 3.x release or wait for the things to be ported over to avoid any map reset and start it on 1.8?

i'd wait a few weeks or a month to see how everything pans out, this will fish out some bugs that might have slipped through in the mod and for (hopefully) plugins that are essential for a server to be ported over
By JamieS1211
#152987 You can always learn the API for sponge and code your own plugins. That is my plan
By OmegaXI5
JamieS1211 wrote:You can always learn the API for sponge and code your own plugins. That is my plan

That is actually neat. On the other hand most of us have exams and really didn't try coding before so let's just hope for plugins to be ported over, or the sponge community to realize this problem and release similar plugins (which is possible).
By Userman
#153001 Sponge forum is pretty active. Ever since dev builds have been released some plugins have been released as well so that's a good sign :D

SpongeAPI is still not stable enough to be used publicly tho, so our server that has already updated currently runs custom made plugins made with just forge even if they are not as refined as the old bukkit ones.
JOIN THE TEAM