Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.

How much would having to download extra mods discourage you?{Please read the post before voting!}

22%
11%
33%
33%
By dyinghere
#137520 I have a question for any Pixelmon players:

If a server needed two extra mods to play, but both mods were very clearly linked to, and the site even offered a modpack to get them both at once, would it discourage you to play?

The mods in question are a furniture mod and a backpack mod.

Our server isn't doing too well and I want to know how badly the added mods are damaging our chances to get extra players.

By Jephon
#137523 As a server owner myself, I will tell you adding additional mods does greatly slow your server growth. With one exception: CustomNPC and the only reason this exception exists is because around 50% of servers require it anyway.

Even then, if you want your server to have the best chance of growth, remove all the extras and keep the main thing the main thing.

There are plugins that can allow similar functionality as the backpack mod. You will just need to do /backpack instead.

Furniture has always been something I've had to say no about. It's hard though because several of my staff love the mod but I know it will eventually kill the server.

So always stick with plugins to make your server different and keep the mods down to one of at all possible for best growth.

-={ Double Post }=-

Btw. That estimate on the amount of pixelmon servers with CustomNPC is just that, an estimate.

96% Of stats on the Internet are made up. :P

(Please refrain from posting twice in a row, instead use the Edit feature and bump feature.
Thanks,
-Burgy)
By dyinghere
#137546 That's what I was afraid of. But by now it's almost too late to remove them...

Our regular players aren't even showing up often anymore {I think school is the main culprit but I'm sure it's just that it's always so empty that no one really wants to play by themselves.} So removing the backpack mod would mean people would lose all the stuff they'd put into it, and I know of at least a couple people who trust the backpacks with their master balls. :c

The furniture mod would be a lot harder to remove, too, since we can't just go through the world and break any traces of it. Restarting the map would also not be very ideal because no one likes restarts, but it isn't looking like we have many options at this point.

I'm hoping we can just advertise like crazy though, at least get some word-of-mouth revenue going on, friends telling friends and all that. Wish us luck :c
By Vikerus
#137547 I would say that if you are running an adventure server. Having a single extra mod might be okay cause the players are there to take part in the "adventure" but if you are running survival. Just do what you can with a single mod. Make that the focus of the server and do your best to configure plugins to work as some mods might. Good luck!
By vPzQuigleyx
#137548 Having extra mods required for download will more than likely have an effect on playercount, purely because its one extra task for players . Which will deter some, especially the ones on shared Computers etc that have download limits. But as others have stated, having one/two mods isn't all that bad and I'm sure a lot of people will still join, especially if they hear that the server is good from other players.
By bobbanana09
#137551 Like many have said, lots of people are lazy. People wont want to download extra mods, unless you give them really interesting information.
By dyinghere
#137559 I know at least a few of our newest players defected from a server that had the same extra mods we do, and I think it was fairly popular? So I really do think that the biggest issue is not advertising enough, and I'd really like to know the best ways to get our name out there if any of you could give some tips.

Though to be honest we could have done a lot more than we have already, but none of us have been very motivated.... Anyone know a good place where we could get our server listed where people would see us? Or any other good methods...
By Jephon
#137605 Yea, what I would do is advertise for a while and see if by chance that Spurs growth. After a month or so (longer may be better here just to see if you can get results) I would announce a map reset if things haven't changed.

Make sure you announce that the backpack mod and furniture mod will be removed and for the player to remove all items in the mod and put them in an ender chest.

Keep that announcement on display for around a week to two weeks to give the players enough time to see.

The players who don't see that announcement has no reason to be angry. They were away and you gave ample time to have them pull all items out of backpack.

So, if done right (imo) you should have the server on the right track in around 2 months.

Which will land close to Christmas break and usually means more traffic although that varies per server.

--- And sorry Burgy for the double post. I'm typing on my phone and didn't see an edit function.
By dyinghere
#137773 Thank you very much for the advice! The rest of the staff agreed it was a good idea, but unfortunately our host ... well, long story short, our map is gone. So we're restarting without the extra mods.
JOIN THE TEAM