Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Dasm
#114592 I could find a server that wasn't pay to win- Seriously- the only stable servers I can find completely disable the spawning of legendary pokes and force people to donate (donate is a bad term- people aren't donating, they are buying stuff).
Or they have some gimmicky gym rules because their gym leaders aren't good enough to compete without them )no switching pokemon during battle, no hypnosis, etc.

By SPG
#114627 ok? thats nothing we have any control over, besides, if you need a legendary to win they you just suck, simple as that, OMG GUYS ITS A MEWTWO! ima just use sucker punch on it, whoops its dead! the legendary birds suck, a watyer or grass type can murder groudon, grass/electric can murder kyogre, and salamance out speeds rayquaza so it can kill it, OMG GUYS! PAY TO WIN HUR DUR im bad at pokemanz so I use legendary pokmernz
By AZTERIX_
#114628 Agreed. I could easily beat someone in a 1v1 who had an Uber they just spawned in and I had an OU 30 lvls lower who I specially EV trained and move-picked to counter that Pokemon.

Scene:
N00B Sent Out Landorus-T LVL100!
AZTERIX_ Sent Out Lucario LVL70!

Landorus-T Used Toxic.. It Doesn't Affect Foe Lucario.
Lucario Used Swords Dance! Lucario's Atatck Was Raised 2X!

Landorus-T Used Stealth Rock!
Lucario Used Ice Punch!

Landorus-T Used Hyper Beam!
Lucario Used Ice Punch!

Landorus-T Needs To Recharge..
Lucario Used Ice Punch!

Landorus-T Used Hyper Beam!
Lucario-T Used Close Combat!
Landorus-T Fainted!
AZTERIX_ Won The Battle!
By Some Body
#114634 That is a horrible Landorus-T set used by an equally horrible player, and is not representative of legendaries being used well. Obviously you'll beat the noob who thinks Hyper Beam is a good move and doesn't know the type chart, but in the hands of a competent player, your Lucario would have been dead instantly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that legendaries suck. They're certainly overrated, but they do have above-average base stat totals that allow many of them to be very useful. Sure, they can be defeated by super-effective moves, but so can anything else, and several of them have the bulk to survive a super-effective attack or two (e.g. Kyogre has a very high 140 SpDef). There are reasons that some of the particularly strong ones are banned from competitive play.
By IceMan8030
#114697 Dasm,

Personally I have spent a lot of time on many different servers as well as looking through their donation stores and personally I have to agree with you but at the same time I agree with SPG, but unfortunately no matter what I think there is nothing at all Pixelmon can do about it. At the same time servers have to make money in order to stay open and donation ranks have to look appeasing for players to want to buy them.

Thanks,

Ice
By Kuwoobie
#114709 Create a server, and let legends spawn normally. Then watch how quickly everyone has them. Even with legend spawning turned off, people still manage to find them occasionally. Now watch how no one uses any other pokemon but legends. Does this sound like a good server to you?

Now notice how no one shows up to server events because there is nothing worthwhile to reward the winners with because everyone has legends already. Now watch as your server goes offline because no one is willing donate for something that is worthless, as the more people have said legends, the less valuable they become.

While you're at it, allow players to craft rare candy so one or two guys can find a way to mass produce them and distribute them to everyone else on the server for cheap.

Every pokemon has strengths and weaknesses. Everyone knows legends have high base stats. Their weakness, however, is that they are overused and therefore terribly predictable.

Here's another idea: Create a team of all legends on Pokemonshowdown or Netbattle, and watch how quickly your team of legends gets owned by people using pokemon you probably think are weak and/or useless. It is hardly "Pay to Win" to offer legends for donations-- no more than it is "Pay to Win" to offer shinies or rare pokemon in general.

If you really want a legendary, consider donating to the server you play on. Servers aren't free. Ours, for instance, costs $110 USD every month to stay online, and it is a tremendous amount of work to maintain and keep everyone happy.

As for Gym Leader rules, talk to your server's owner about it. I realize they can get out of hand. I've seen rules like "No Snorlax," "No super effective hits" (seriously) if a player in a gym leader position makes these kinds of rules for their gym, they should be demoted-- but not used as a talking point against how the mod could be better.
By IceMan8030
#114713 Kuwoobie,

I have played on several servers that allow legendary pokemon to spawn and still 75% of people had donated for their legendary pokemon because they are hard to find. Also just because they spawn does not mean you will catch them or even see them. When I worked for GLG I spent countless hours on the servers and never once found a legendary pokemon and they were set to spawn.

There are ways for server owners to hold events and give out pokemon or items that do not include legendary pokemon. In fact zorua gaming holds factions tournaments and never gives out anything but every player on the server shows up to battle.

Once again I have played on several survival servers that allow you to craft rare candies and I can tell you that 90% of the people on there don't use the because they want to EV train their team. Now you will get those people that spam candies for levels but that make them weak to an EV trained team.

The point that most people are trying to make about donations and pay to win is when servers take so much away from the game and make you pay to get certain items or poke's, though I personally do not agree with this I know that to some extent it must be done in order for servers to make money to pay their server cost. Put there are servers out there that after 2-5 donation ranks there servers are payed for because the prices are so high, once again that is there choice.

This will always be an opinionated topic of discussion and no matter what you do or say there will always be an argument about what is right or wrong, server owners will defend what they do and players will always want more for less.

Ice
By Kuwoobie
This will always be an opinionated topic of discussion and no matter what you do or say there will always be an argument about what is right or wrong, server owners will defend what they do and players will always want more for less.

The difference is, server owners own servers. They know what they need to do and do it. This is not a matter of opinions or debate. The OP obviously has never run a server in his life, and has no ground to stand on. Players like these complain about these things out of their enormous sense of entitlement. When I read this thread, all I am reminded of is how players are constantly screaming about how they want everything handed to them, or how hard everything is, and don't realize how boring the game would be if we gave them everything they wanted, or if it was all made easy for them. What most players fail to realize is this is not the Gameboy game, where they are the only character who matters, and everyone else is an NPC. In an online game, it is a completely different story. Too many players join our servers expecting Gym Leaders to be as weak and easy as they are in the games, so they can crown themselves Champion after a day's work. In reality, there can be only one Champion, and that title belongs only to the most skilled player.

Players find satisfaction in gaming by means of overcoming adversity and bettering their skills in competition. This is not an opinion.

Once again I have played on several survival servers that allow you to craft rare candies and I can tell you that 90% of the people on there don't use the because they want to EV train their team. Now you will get those people that spam candies for levels but that make them weak to an EV trained team.

Where are you getting "90%" from? Is that an estimate? The number of players who even know what an EV is is far from 90%.
By Some Body
Kuwoobie wrote:Every pokemon has strengths and weaknesses. Everyone knows legends have high base stats. Their weakness, however, is that they are overused and therefore terribly predictable.

In the hands of the average player who just sticks all attacking moves on their Pokémon, yes, they are predictable. However, in the hands of someone skilled at battling, legendaries are frequently very versatile thanks to their high stats and large movepools. Mew in particular learns every TM and some other moves through level-up, so it can run many completely different sets and you don't really know what to expect when you see it. Even if it's predictable that every Kyogre has Water Spout, it's hard to counter simply because of the sheer power it has, especially if you have the wrong Pokémon out at the time.

Kuwoobie wrote:Here's another idea: Create a team of all legends on Pokemonshowdown or Netbattle, and watch how quickly your team of legends gets owned by people using pokemon you probably think are weak and/or useless. It is hardly "Pay to Win" to offer legends for donations-- no more than it is "Pay to Win" to offer shinies or rare pokemon in general.

If you're using legendaries like Phione and Regigigas in OU, of course you're going to get owned. If you're using horrible sets that include moves like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact and have no EVs, of course you're going to lose. The most useful legends (Mewtwo, Kyogre, etc.) are banned from OU in the first place because they are too strong, but legends like Thundurus, Heatran, and Latios can be integrated into a team including non-legends and will work very well in the hands of a competent battler.

IceMan8030 wrote:Once again I have played on several survival servers that allow you to craft rare candies and I can tell you that 90% of the people on there don't use the because they want to EV train their team. Now you will get those people that spam candies for levels but that make them weak to an EV trained team.

Spamming Rare Candies is subpar, but it is very possible to first EV train the Pokémon and then Rare Candy it to 100, saving a lot of time while still having a fully EV-trained Pokémon.
JOIN THE TEAM