By AsylumDreams
#165961 Coolio - I'll grab you on Skype at some point Xavier.
One of the things I've been considering is how to set it up. A simple hosting and whitelist seems the simple solution although I'm a bit wary of someone running amok. Although again a simple solution to that is to take frequent back-ups.

I'm aiming to tie up the back-end / non-server tasks by the end of January, both to establish what is being created with a clear end goal and to allow people to settle into their new year routines.

The architectural ergonomics will be decided by poll, whether there's a broad bias towards one particular style or whether each town is unique - regardless of the result of any poll though it'll likely always be excusable to have an outlier or exception crop-up somewhere, which likely will even add to the flavour of the map.

All the areas / ideas that have been mentioned / suggested have been considered - prior game maps have had each aspect they contain slotted into one of the listed upcoming polls.

@ComfyCapitalism - the aim is for the public to decide that. Each 'key' build will be decided by poll, although the runners-up will likely find a use somewhere.

Individual and unique houses are going to be wanted in bulk though if we're aiming for a truly large map, again something coming up in the next set of polls.
By smashbro596
#165969 i would love to see places based on where legendary pokemon were found in the games (like a bell tower for ho-oh, a set of islands broken up by whirlpools for lugia, a massive sky pillar for rayquaza, a cloning lab for mewtwo... etc etc.)
By GhostXavier
#165990 Sounds great, Asylum. Thanks!

Will there also be a poll in the overall concept design of the world? I understand it's a single player map in design, but what I mean is should it be designed with the intent of only adventure mode or will is still be great for survival builders who want to make what they want in between throwing their Poke's at gym leaders? It only really matters if the decision is made to terraform from a completely new map using worldpainter or if we're just going to start up a map at random and let luck fly wherever it wants as construction goes on.
By Skywalker
#165994 If i may offer some advice as approaching construction as a whole, you should designate someone to outline buildings in a terraformed area first. Then through forums or contest have people build in those spaces on their on worlds then have them submit a schematic. Then admit people on a server who provide consistant work. Also usually helps to have a baseline building for eat town. Often when you get help people have trouble focusing ideas to a certain until they see an irl reference image or example build. If you outline buildings first, outline a block pallette, then deligate them youll have better map and complete it timely. You can build detailed maps in a month that way
By AsylumDreams
GhostXavier wrote:Sounds great, Asylum. Thanks!

Will there also be a poll in the overall concept design of the world? I understand it's a single player map in design, but what I mean is should it be designed with the intent of only adventure mode or will is still be great for survival builders who want to make what they want in between throwing their Poke's at gym leaders? It only really matters if the decision is made to terraform from a completely new map using worldpainter or if we're just going to start up a map at random and let luck fly wherever it wants as construction goes on.

As far as I know there are no plans to host this as an official server map for Pixelmon. Players will be free to do with it as they wish regardless. Whether the world is scratch-built or not depends on the results of the polls. I have a few specific seeds I've stumbled across whilst searching for maps for various servers that would suit a few things well, it just varies on whether or not the forum votes for what's applicable to them. I favour this option myself as it makes it easier for people to sub it into a server and use it as the nexus for a world map rather than just something accessible via Bungee.

@Skywalker yep that is pretty much the plan, although the one I house in my head is to have the map-builders site the schematics rather than have them build in situ. That's more than open for discussion when we get to that point though next week.
By AQSHaran
#166070 I WOULD PREFER SPECIFIC LOCATIONS AND PARTICULAR SPOTS DEDICATED TO LEGENDARY POKEMON. LIKE THE TIN TOWER FOR HO-OH, CERULEAN CAVE FOR MEWTWO, AND A REALLY HIDDEN AND HARD TO GET MIRAGE ISLAND FOR MEW.
By JohnJohnson
#166103 There should be multiple continents probably, so you'll have lots to explore and there will be lots of land for different players to come up with ideas for. Chains of small islands would be nice, and maybe there could be certain locations where roaming legendaries could rarely appear/spawn.
By AkaSora704
#166121 The gyms should be dual-typing with the typing's being
1:fire-water
2:grass-bug
3:electric-rock
4:ground-ice
5:fighting-dark
6:fairy-flying
7:ghost-psychic
8:dragon-poison
Now then if you don't know what I mean by dual-typing I mean that not all pokemon in the gym has to have both typing just one. For instance in the 8th gym I added the gym leader could have a Garchomp on his or her team.
By SKy2008
#166165 You may want to look at building projects like Minecraft Middle Earth for ideas on how to handle the actual building.

Personally I'd go for a whitelist server with two separate worlds:
The first, the actual project map with all progress until now would default players to spectator mode. That way OPs can be sure only they can change the map - or the few select people they give creative mode to (could just be temporary).
The second map would be a plot world - a superflat world where the OPs can set up building plots for certain builds. Let's say you start a town and want all its houses to have a certain style. Then you could set up some 30-40 plots with one or two example builds next to it and let people build their own versions. The best/needed can then be copied over.

I also want to offer my services. I'm a decent builder - good enough to be offered "Artist" rank over at MCME. Especially things like regular houses, bridges, archways, ruins and scenery are what I'm good at - not that great with giant builds though (If you want references I can get some screenshots). I'm also a very critical thinker; I like to analyze and discuss concepts, hoping to improve them (some of you may have noticed I'm quite active in the Suggest A Feature sub forum). Also I studied game design for two years, so I have at least some basic knowlege of how to create a good gaming experience.
Currently I don't have that much time though, because RL is being a ****. So I can't promise to be very active for the next few months.

JohnJohnson wrote:There should be multiple continents probably [...]

That'd be a very interesting concept. Until now the Pokemon regions were always a single coastal line (Kanto, Johto, Unova, Kalos) or an island (Hoenn, Sinnoh). Having two "continents" opposite of each other with a sea in between would be something new. Access would be kind of restricted by holding back the Surf and Fly HMs (no player wants to swim for a few thousand blocks). You could also add a ferry you can use for a small fee - after you have completed an event like beating the local gym leader or pushing back the villain team...