Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.
By raid87
#171386 So i play on a server that has player gym leaders, only problem is that the gym leaders are really hard to beat. I have a list of the pokemon they use, its a 4v4 with a level 35 cap, i'll provide the pokemon names and the list of moves they know (to my knowledge, i haven't seen all of their moves used)

Whimiscot - Tailwind, giga drain, leech seed
Torterra - Earthquake, Stone edge, rock slide
Venasaur or Exeggutor - Stone edge, rock slide
Leafeon - swords dance, leaf blade

What would be the best team of 4 that can take these guys?
I have a ditto so if i need to breed a pokemon i can, I cannot use tm's since they're very expensive on the server

By SnowBlitzz
#171397 bug and ice type pokemon should work very well, switch between them with U-turn and it's easy to ice beam them down. These pokemon the gym leader are using might be EV trained so you need to EV train yours a bit to equal them
By Some Body
#171400 Since you're allowed to breed, many TM moves and higher-level level-up moves are accessible within your restrictions by children inheriting them from their parents (most TM moves have some Pokémon that learn them by level-up). Keep in mind that I will be taking advantage of these in my suggestions.

It's pretty obvious that types good against Grass are good choices, although I'll give a few more specific options.
  • Skarmory walls all of these Pokémon and has reliable recovery in Roost. You just have to watch out for Hidden Power Fire on Venusaur or Exeggutor (or Earthquake on a predicted Roost).
  • Scizor also does well against all of these Pokémon. It has the same Hidden Power Fire to watch out for.
  • Depending on Whimsicott's fourth move (i.e., not something like Encore or Stun Spore), Focus Sash Shell Smash Cloyster may be able to quickly sweep through the entire team, barring the rare Quick Attack Leafeon.
  • Speed Boost Yanmega can outspeed Tailwind after a few turns (which it will get if Whimsicott leads). Choice Specs will let you mow past everything unless Torterra is heavily invested in SpDef EVs.
  • If you're afraid of Torterra's Rock-type coverage against your Fire/Bug/Flying/Ice-type Pokémon, Charti Berry is an option to take a hit and KO back.
  • Tailwind runs out after a meager three turns, so stalling it out is definitely an option. Most of these Pokémon are much more manageable when they don't outspeed your Pokémon with the Tailwind boost.

I'll also note that neither Venusaur nor Exeggutor can learn Stone Edge or Rock Slide.
By Tyceus
#171446 Torterra is actually grass/ground, not rock as Some Body described. Anyway, I would consider getting a Closyter. If my memory is clear, you're able to outspeed if you get a shell smash off. You could then proceed to using ice shard, or icicle spear. (Forgive me if names are wrong) You could also consider putting a focus sash on it.

Adding onto the Leafeon quick attack. You should outspeed it with Ice Shard at +2 if it uses quick attack. It might not kill, but it'll certainly do something.

Good luck in your gym battles!

On another note, I'll try get active on these forums again ;)
By Some Body
Some Body wrote:Rock-type coverage

"Coverage" generally means that the move is not STABbed and is being used specifically to hit certain targets super effectively, rather than as a general-purpose strong move. I am well aware that Torterra is Grass/Ground, but it is known that this Torterra has Stone Edge or Rock Slide, which happens to be an impediment to the obvious "use Pokémon that are super effective against Grass" mindset.
By CritsAreFair
Tyceus wrote:Torterra is actually grass/ground, not rock as Some Body described. Anyway, I would consider getting a Closyter. If my memory is clear, you're able to outspeed if you get a shell smash off. You could then proceed to using ice shard, or icicle spear. (Forgive me if names are wrong) You could also consider putting a focus sash on it.

Adding onto the Leafeon quick attack. You should outspeed it with Ice Shard at +2 if it uses quick attack. It might not kill, but it'll certainly do something.

Good luck in your gym battles!

On another note, I'll try get active on these forums again ;)

He didn't describe Torterra as a Rock type.

Leafeon will rarely run Quick Attack in a competitive scenario and it seems this gym leader has at least some grasp of competitive gameplay. Quick Attack is simply too weak to give up a better coverage move for, and coverage is already something Leafeon has problems with. Furthermore, Chlorophyll coupled Leafeon's great Defense stat means that running priority on it is generally unnecessary.

Sash Cloyster would work somewhat but loses if Whimsicott is carrying Stun Spore, Encore, or predicts your Shell Smash and Taunts you. It also wins if it Tailwinds and then breaks your sash, allowing Venusaur or Leafeon to outspeed you with a full investment. It is by no means a hard counter or even a reliable check, but it's something.

Life Orb Gengar gives all these Pokemon trouble and can set up a Substitute while Whimsicott Tailwinds in order to protect it from Leech Seed and possible Stun Spores, but has to be careful while doing so in fear of Encore. It can also run Taunt, which assuming Whimsicott doesn't Taunt you first allows you to prevent it from doing anything other than using a single status move. You could alternatively go straight for the Sludge Bomb, which has a 30% chance of shutting Whimsicott down through its Focus Sash thanks to its chance to Poison. Venusaur and Torterra avoid the OHKO from Gengar but neither can OHKO it in return, and if it's behind a Substitute it's guaranteed to beat either one. Exeggutor and Leafeon are both OHKO'd by Sludge Bomb.

Either way, remember that gym leaders are usually limited to a single type of Pokemon while you have no such restrictions, which automatically gives you a massive advantage.
By Some Body
#173186 I did mention the possibility of Whimsicott's fourth unrevealed move being a possible stop to Cloyster, but Tailwind alone is not an answer to it. If Whimsicott uses Tailwind, you just Shell Smash twice and go from there. Even with Encore or Taunt, you can switch out, dispatch Whimsicott or lure something else out, and then go back to Cloyster (whose Sash is still intact) once a Pokémon faints and Tailwind runs out. It's definitely not perfect, but there are ways around the roadblocks considering that you have other Pokémon with you. Stun Spore is the only unrevealed move that would really mess it up for the rest of the battle (besides Heal Bell/Aromatherapy/Healing Wish or Trainer-used items).

Leafeon's problem is that is has very few coverage moves to begin with, limited to X-Scissor, Return, and lesser options like Dig and Aerial Ace. The lack of options means that it is possible for it to use a filler move like Quick Attack. Chlorophyll is irrelevant in this case unless there is an unrevealed user of Sunny Day.
JOIN THE TEAM