Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.

Should I Continue Making These Guides?

100%
N/A
By AcedDunsparce
#168886 Hello there. Today, I'll be continuing my Guides series as the response on the last one was pretty well overall. Today, I'll be reviewing Pokémon #558 in the national Pokédex, Crustle.

Overall, it may seem like an odd choice of a Pokémon, but I've been getting alot of use out of the little rock bug itself. Like previously, I'll be reviewing 2 different types of a usable Crustle in battle. Let us begin.

ImageImage
Crustle:

HP: 70
Attack: 95
Defense: 125
Special Attack: 65
Special Defense: 75
Speed: 45

Stat Total: 475

When looking at it's stats, the only thing that may really stand out is it's defense, but is still outclassed by many other bulkier tanks which are but not limited too, Slowbro, Scizor, Gliscor, Skarmory, ect. On the offensive side, he also isn't looking to good, for his highest stat 95 in his attack, but a 45 speed wouldn't be helpful regardless. From the way it seems, it may look like this little guy may only have one use, and that use being an entry hazard setter with it's access to stealth rocks. Though, it has a secret potential most people tend to look over. Shell Smash.

Set 1: Shell Smash

Boring Stuff:

So, I'm going to start with my more liked set of the 2, the Shell Smash set. Once you get the stats' boosted (and lowered in this case), Crustle's semi-decent coverage takes over from there.

The Specs:

Item: White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
IVs: 31/31/31/0/31/31
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Special Defense
Nature: Jolly (Recommended) / Adamant
Moves: Shell Smash, Stone Edge / Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Earthquake

What The Set Is:

The set is completely destructive for people running teams with heavy Hyper Offense, meaning that their offense is generally frail, and is unable to endure one of these hits unless by a Focus Sash / Band. Sadly, Crustle struggles to OHKO any heavy bulk neutrally and most of these hits are generally 2HKOs or 3HKOs. This is why Crustle makes a great late game sweeper. You may of already noticed the White Herb, this ensures that Crustle doesn't get the Defense stat lowering that makes Crustle easy to cripple. Though, beware as the White Herb can be provoked by Intimidate and other negative stat inducing moves.

Some Body wrote:-Most setup sweepers hate status, so Lum Berry is another option on a Shell Smash set. It also circumvents the burn/poison issue pointed out with Sturdy.

Crustle may arguably get one of the best abilities in the game, Sturdy. Sturdy, allows for a Pokemon to live a move that would normally OHKO if at full health. It's essentially a free focus sash. Luckily, this allows for Crustle to always get a Shell Smash off assuming it's free of status, like burn or poison. Next, we have the IVs. For a physical sweeper, the IVs are pretty usually, 31 in every stat other then Special Attack. For the EVs, you'll want 252 Attack, 252 Speed, and the other 4 into either Defenses. Both of these allow to get the most out of your Crustle. Sadly, though, Crustle's speed is a downfall. With only a base of 45 speed, you could be easily out-sped by other quick Pokemon which could revenge you or deal damage to you before you get a chance to actually attack. In this case, you will have to run a Jolly nature to maximize Crustle's potential as a sweeper. If you want the risk, go with Adamant, but beware. Lastly, the moves. You'll run Shell Smash, which is the whole base of the set, Stone Edge and X-Scissor for your base STAB coverage, and Earthquake, a high base damage move that has some interesting coverage for Rock / Bug types. Also, if you feel worried about Stone Edge's accuracy, then switch to Rock Slide, which is less powerful, but gets a nice little flinch chance. If you can, try to force a switch with your Crustle to get it set up. This not only keeps your Sturdy, but you are able to get a free hit on the incoming Pokemon after being set-up. For example, if your Pokemon just died, and you switch your Crustle into a Dragonite, say they would like to preserve it for later. They will switch out their Dragonite for something else while you get a free set up on the switch.

Set 2: Stalling Hazard Setter

Boring Stuff:

Since this set is generally not as useful, I'd recommend using the first as your go to strategy for Crustle. Anyways, let me begin.

The Specs:

Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 Special Defense / 248 HP / 8 Defense
Nature: Careful
Moves: Stealth Rocks, Protect, Toxic, Rock Slide

What The Set Is:

The set is your basic Stealth Rock stalling set, or it has 2 uses. Since Crustle has no recovery options, Leftover is put on Crustle to maximize it's life time before being fainted. Sturdy on the other hand is useful again for sustaining life and giving you a guarantee that you will get the layer of Rocks down. Again, the IVs are in every stat except for Special Attack, for you have no Special Moves. Due to poor little Crustle only having 75 base Special Defense, we must maximize that with 252 in Special Defense. Now, I only put in 248 HP into Crustle so it takes less damage from Burn and Toxic. Finally, the last 8 can go anywhere, but I put the rest into Defense. I gave Crustle a Careful nature just so it can again further boost it's Special Defense stat while not losing any Defense or Attack potential. Finally, Crustle's moves are pretty self explanatory. Stealth Rock, which is the whole basis of the set, Toxic, so you can do slow damage to your opponent, Protect so you gain your Leftovers and make their Toxic timer even shorter, and Rock Slide, which is the more accurate Rock Move for some STAB damage to your opponent. Hopefully, you would be able to lead with this set and get the Rocks down before they can really start accomplishing too much damage on you. Regardless, I don't have much else to say about this set.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you know how to use Crustle (hopefully), please feel free to use him whenever you want. Regardless, thank you for viewing, and if you have the time, please leave some thoughts below on info that could be improved otherwise. Also, if you haven't already, please vote with the poll, as I would make more of these if I got more positive than negative responses. Thank you.

~Aced

By Some Body
#168887 There isn't too much to say about Crustle, and you've already covered most of it. I'll throw in a few things though.
-Most setup sweepers hate status, so Lum Berry is another option on a Shell Smash set. It also circumvents the burn/poison issue pointed out with Sturdy.
-It's a bit strange to mention Crustle's role as a hazard setter without mentioning Spikes. In particular (especially with Sturdy), it is possible to run a lead set with both hazards, less defensive investment, and Custap Berry.
-Unlike Attack, Special Attack has no benefits from specifically being minimized with 0 IVs. An arbitrary Special Attack IV suffices if the stat is not used.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Luckily, [Sturdy] allows for Crustle to always get a Shell Smash off assuming it's free of status, like burn or poison.

Since you're using Crustle as a late-game sweeper and not as a lead, entry hazards will also break Sturdy and are important to look out for.
By AcedDunsparce
Some Body wrote:-Most setup sweepers hate status, so Lum Berry is another option on a Shell Smash set. It also circumvents the burn/poison issue pointed out with Sturdy.

Yes, I will add this too the post, although it seems that with lowered Special Defense, if already taken down with some HP, he is almost taken down by any special moves.

Some Body wrote:-It's a bit strange to mention Crustle's role as a hazard setter without mentioning Spikes. In particular (especially with Sturdy), it is possible to run a lead set with both hazards, less defensive investment, and Custap Berry.

I thought of this, but I refrained from copying the set that served just about the same purpose.

Some Body wrote:-Unlike Attack, Special Attack has no benefits from specifically being minimized with 0 IVs. An arbitrary Special Attack IV suffices if the stat is not used.

Yes, of course, my point being that you don't have to have a decent Special Attack stat since it's completely unused.

Some Body wrote:
AcedDunsparce wrote:Luckily, [Sturdy] allows for Crustle to always get a Shell Smash off assuming it's free of status, like burn or poison.

Since you're using Crustle as a late-game sweeper and not as a lead, entry hazards will also break Sturdy and are important to look out for.

Indeed. I forgot about others using hazards, though, you have the option of Defog and Rapid Spin on Pokemon like Mantine and Tentacruel. Good point though.

Thank you.

~Aced
By Some Body
#168892 There is always a trade-off when choosing a held item. The two held items simply have different uses and protect against different kinds of attacks.

Having an entirely different section for a Custap setter set isn't necessarily needed, but Spikes still has merit by being more sparsely distributed than Stealth Rock, which distinguishes Crustle from the myriad of other Stealth Rock setters.

Note that Defog removing hazards on your side is a Gen 6 mechanic. It only removes hazards on the opponent's side in Gen 5 and Pixelmon.
By Shadowkirby
#168918 Good guide, but I have to say some things about this tbh.

When looking at it's stats, the only thing that may really stand out is it's defense, but is still outclassed by many other bulkier tanks which are but not limited too

It's typing isn't too great for being a "tank" pokemon anyways. That's why defensive Crustle is not used (tested it.. it's horrible)

So, I'm going to start with my more liked set of the 2, the Shell Smash set. Once you get the stats' boosted (and lowered in this case), Crustle's semi-decent coverage takes over from there.

Having access to Edgequake combo (Earthquake + Stone Edge) is already enough coverage, as it hits pretty much everything atleast neutral.

Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 Special Defense / 248 HP / 8 Defense
Nature: Careful
Moves: Stealth Rocks, Protect, Toxic, Rock Slide

I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything.. but that set is horrible. Crustle has low spdef and it's Hp is only average too, it won't take many special hits regardless, and it most certainly won't be able to toxic stall the opponent. There's alot other, better Pokemon, that can use Toxic stall (like Umbreon. Chansey or Vaporeon, etc) This set in particular gives the opponent free turns to setup on Crustle's face (especially since it has 0 attack investment, Rock Slide does like no damage) If you were about to run a hazard setter Crustle set, run spikes + rocks and then max attack with custap berry.

Again, no hate, just trying to help. If you disagree with any of this, let me know.
JOIN THE TEAM