By dhi2awesome
#210560 This suggestion is for a bunch of possible changes inspired by the recent launch of Pokémon Legends Arceus, whether by altering existing features, adding new ones, or combining the two.

BATTLES
The first thing I want to discuss is changes to battles.

The biggest change I think Arceus shows is useful is in regards to being engaged in a battle (not when you throw out a Pokémon at someone, but when you are attacked). It should throw out what Pokémon is selected on the list, rather than the one from the top. It allows for planning out strategies to feel a lot smoother.

Second, and this one is a lot more in-depth and I imagine will need some reworking, battle control. Currently, WASD (movement keys) and holding right click (use key) while moving the mouse moves the camera. While the latter is fine, something from Arceus which I find super fun is the ability to move around during battles. The way I would personally like to see this implemented is being able to switch from "Arceus Cam" (a camera fixed on the battle scene as currently is) to "Player Cam", allowing for the player to move around during battle, and even view the battle in first person.
This could also allow for the concept of literally running away from battles to be implemented, where players just run away from the battle enough to be forced out.

The third idea leads into the next category as well. Pokémon should be able to attack players, dealing damage, status, knockback, and whatever else is relevant, similar to in Legends Arceus. This would give proper use to armor while playing Pixelmon, as beyond fall damage and the small buffs of the evolution stone armors, there's no real reason to make armor outside aesthetics.
The attacks usable could just be the moves the Pokémon has access to, basically creating a false live-combat system for before you engage a Pokémon in turn-based combat.

Perhaps, in a difference to the games, the attacks used by Pokémon could damage the player during battle, requiring careful positioning and such to prevent you from dying during a fight between two (or more) Pokémon.

BEHAVIORS
Currently, the Pokémon in Pixelmon are pretty static, just kinda existing, vibing in the world. Legends Arceus shows a way I think this can be improved upon drastically.

Starting off, each species would have a general style of existing. Would they be passive, not really worrying about players sprinting around? Hostile, attacking players moving past? Neutral, being similar to passive besides attacking back if at risk? Frightful, running away if a player gets too close?
A Pokémon's nature would also play a part into what actions it takes, so a Pokémon with a more laid-back nature will be closer to a neutral behavior than hostile for example.
Pokémon would also have actions they can do, such as sleeping, playing, and eating.

The second part to this idea is the introduction of the Alpha concept. Alphas would be guaranteed Enormous or Ginormous spawns, with moves usually only available via TM, TR, or Tutor, and boosted stats, and AIs similar to bosses. Alphas would not drop much extra loot than their standard counterparts, the occasional XS EXP Candy and such, but could be a valuable ally in the gameplay loop of the mod.
Alphas would either spawn alone or in packs of the same species or evolution line (for example, a pack or "horde" of Bidoof could spawn in with an Alpha Bidoof or Bibarel, or neither).
Alphas would be protective of the packs if they spawn as a part of them, fighting anyone who attempts to catch their pals.

To link back into the Battle concepts too, the idea of Pokémon being able to join the battle you are having, leading up to five Pokémon fighting your one, like seen in some of the teasers for the new battle system (I'm unsure how to get it to occur in-game at current), if they are aggressive or protective of their pack.

CATCHING
Speaking of catching Pokémon, there's a few things to discuss about that.

Starting off, Hisuian styled Pokéballs. I think these should be overall easier to craft, needing only the 2x2 grid in the inventory, and perhaps not requiring iron for the base tier, only requiring one or two for the upgraded tiers (same as the recipes in Legends Arceus to an extent). Perhaps they could make use of raw apricorns, or apricorns could be cooked on a campfire (1.14+), just to make it easier to obtain. I think these balls should have a lower catchrate than "modern" balls, maybe .66 or .75 times their standard rate (so for the Pokéball, that would be the rate), so that they aren't overly useful. The idea would be that they're a lot easier to craft at the start of the game, being equivalent to wood and stone tools, while the modern Pokéball is more equivalent to diamond.

The other discussion with Hisui era Pokéballs is the other two series of balls. The Heavy and Sky series of balls (Heavy, Leaden, Gigaton, Feather, Wing, Jet) are quite unique in that rather than having a specific bonus to them, they have different throwing capacities (which remains when a Pokémon is stored inside them, although Sky balls do lose some of their throw range). Having balls which can be thrown longer or shorter distances could be quite a lot of fun.

Now onto bonuses. I mentioned back in the Behaviors section that Pokémon could sleep, eat, etc. This could be used to increase catchrates, along with bonuses such as back strikes. Being able to toss out a berry, and catch the Pokémon while it's distracted sounds quite fun and engaging.

ADVANCED POKÉDEX
Pokémon Legends Arceus arguably has the most interesting Pokédex, and it's one I'd love to see be adapted by Pixelmon. Rather than just catching a Pokémon and immediately having the dex entry fully filled out, having to discover each Pokémon manually, learning about them as you observe them out of battle, in battle, and after battle (such as catching them).
This would allow for a much more indepth Pokédex experience than just chuck a ball, and walk off, as you would need to work on your Pokémon over time, investigating where it spawns, what moves it has, what alternate forms it has, and so on.

ITEM EVOLUTION
Two overarching concepts in this section, items and evolutions.

Starting off with Evolutions, having it be something you need to trigger, rather than something at the end of battle, makes it a lot more interesting and interactive. Perhaps, to reduce pain, it is something that has to be done by throwing out your Pokémon and interacting with it, to "talk" with your Pokémon (I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be a feature like this already).

Moving along to trade based evolutions, Legends Arceus introduces the Linking Cord, an item which when used allows for the Pokémon to evolve as if traded. Not only is this great for singleplayer, but it can be used for multiplayer if there's no one who you deem trustworthy online.
One small change I would make for Pixelmon which is not present in Legends Arceus to this mechanic, however, is to do with held item trade evolutions. In Legends Arceus, these evolutions are the same as stone evolutions, or using the Linking Cord, while I feel that, since held items do exist in Pixelmon, it would make a little more sense to require the Pokémon to hold the item, and then be interacted with using the Linking Cord. Perhaps there could be a config option to decide whether it uses the Legends Arceus style, or Linking Cord and the held item (plus another to disable the Linking Cord, for those who would prefer not to use that for whatever reason).

Before leaving evolutions, going back to the concept of manually having to trigger evolutions, the Move Pool system in Legends Arceus is really good. Being able to learn all the moves the Move Relearner can teach on the fly for free creates a much more enjoyable experience for me and others. Perhaps TMs, TRs, and other similar methods of learning (not tutors though) could be excluded from this system though, for balancing (unless multiuse TMs is enabled, but then it's just getting complicated to figure out).

Moving along to items, we'll start off with the four main legendaries. Arceus, Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina all got a new item in this game. Arceus got the Blank and Legend Plates, Palkia the Lustrous Globe, Dialga the Adamant Crystal, and Giratina the Griseous Core. The Blank Plate is a plate of the Normal type, which can just be added in with the rest of the typing plates. The Legend Plate implements an interesting new mechanic for Arceus. Every turn, the move Judgement will change to a random super effective typing on the opposing Pokémon, and using it will switch Arceus to that type, as if the plate is that of the type it randomised to. This plate should be difficult to obtain, possibly requiring all of the plates plus something more.
The Globe, Crystal, and Core all serve the same purpose. Reverting the Creation Trio to their Origin Forms. The Griseous Core is essentially the same as the Griseous Orb, just that it functions on interaction, rather than holding (due to Legends not having held items). I think the Core should just be an alternate form of the orb, to act as completeness.
The Adamant Crystal and Lustrous Globe, due to giving Dialga and Palkia new forms, definitely should be introduced as separate items, and made harder to obtain than their orb counterparts.

The next items worth noting are more ancient time item equivalents, which would be nice to see solely for immersion purposes for those who wish to create a more Legends inspired experience. These are Aux items and the ancient style potions, as well as stealth spray (repels, but a bit different).

Finally for items, the introduction of items such as the Scatter Bang (to startle Pokémon away), Ball of Mud (which could also be added as a function to snowballs, stunning Pokémon to create openings), and possibly some new crafting ingredients and such. There are some obvious ones for skipping, such as wood, iron chunks, and honeycomb.

BLOCKS
There are a few things in regards to blocks and natural structures which I think Pixelmon could take some concepts from Legends.
The biggest of these to me, is the trees. Within Legends Arceus, regular style trees will sometimes have berries, apricorns, and Pokémon. While I'm unsure how to strike a good balance between the farmable styles of berries and apricorns currently in the mod, and having a more limited harvest from trees could work, it could make for some more interesting gameplay, given that players will be interested in getting a vast amount of apricorns quickly to get more Pokéballs.

NOBLES
While Noble Pokémon themselves may not ever be added to Pixelmon, I think the fight mechanics as a base idea could be quite cool to see, the quelling of a frenzied Pokémon, or other style of fighting.
This is a minor tangent, as I wanted to make mention of the mechanic, but wasn't sure on a set implementation. However, a partial idea for it could be a replacement for the Ender Dragon fight, where instead of fighting Jean, you fight an Origin Form Giratina which is uncatchable in a Noble/Frenzy Battle style.

EXTERNAL MECHANICS
Legends gives spark to a few mechanical changes to the mod, which could make for good config options.

Disabling of Abilities - would disable most abilities (ones such as Cherrim or Regigigas would remain, where they have a small and specific purpose (Minior would be another example not present in Legends))
Disabling of Held Items - would prevent items from being held, similar to Let's Go and Legends Arceus.

Updated Status - implements the statuses with turn limits and inability to stack from Legends Arceus, and replaces Freeze with Frostbite (burn but for special attack) and Sleep with Drowsy. Would also nerf Rest as in Legends Arceus.

Custom Regional Pokédex - being able to limit what Pokémon can spawn not by generation, but by black/white listed Pokédex numbers. Also being able to determine a smaller regional Pokédex from the Pokémon you want, and then have the National Dex as a thing using custom dimensions (for modpacks/servers mainly). Perhaps this could link into datapack support for 1.16.

Thank you for reading this mega-suggestion, I hope it's fine with making reference to certain features, I decided to wait a bit over a week for people to encounter the game a bit more before posting, just to prevent any major spoilers. I'm sure there's a bunch more that can be considered from the game without even touching on stuff like the updated battle system in regards to agile/strong and turn orders, although it would be interesting to see that too, I just don't see it happening until we see another game with the style, and even then, I think it'd be best to be an opt in situation.
Anyway, thanks again, feel free to leave constructive criticisms and feedback.

By proclarushtaonasat
#211001 yes, i agree!

although, to not completely invalidate the move relearner, the manual free remembering of moves, should only apply to moves, the pokemon forgot, since you caught it.

Also pixelmon has a forage system, however to use it, the player has to press R to call it out, press B to select forage (if another field move is selected) and then press G to search for items. As a Quality of Live improvement, id simplify the mechanic, where you just have to send your pokemon out to have it forage. Same for moves like headbutt, you should just be able to throw your mon at a tree (if it knows headbutt). Also allow players to select a move with B before you send it out.

Same for the F button: being able to lock onto an opponent and engage it in battle by throwing the ball NEAR the enemy to start a battle, since some pokemon have strange hitboxes.
Last bumped by proclarushtaonasat on 16 Apr 2022 02:09.
JOIN THE TEAM