By bvanseghi
#179323 We've all encountered this problem before. Leaving our hard work behind to upgrade to a new Pixelmon Mod version. Resetting time and time again to experience the wonderful features, but at what cost??

I suggest an idea to prevent this. I will go into great detail about how this will work, so please pay attention. All sections of this are up for debate.

1). What the idea actually is
The idea may seem tedious at first, but it is quite simple. Upon world creation, a file is created alongside the World files. This file records the players existing pokemon, sort of as like a safe keeping. Every time a pokemon's state is changed, I.E, level up, item swap, moves changed, the pokemon is moved around in the PC, etc... the file records the small details for the Pokemon. It would look something a lot like this:

Code: Select all
Slot1{
Pkmn:Charmander
Name:Charmander
Level:5
Shiny:N
Pokerus:N
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Adamant
Happiness:0
Item:FocusSash
Move1:Leer
Move2:Scratch
Move3:None
Move4:None
HPmin:23
HPmax:23
Atk:14
Def:13
SpA:14
SpD:13
Speed:16
EV.Atk:255
EV.Def:0
EV.SpA:4
EV.SpD:0
IV.Speed:255
IV.Atk:255
IV.Def:0
IV.SpA:4
IV.SpD:0
IV.Speed:255
}

Now a textual copy of our Charmander in-game has been created.

But, let's say this Charmander is in a world where the Pixelmon is 4.2.5, and the Minecraft version is 1.8.9. Unfortunately, there is a new Pixelmon update for 1.10, version 5.0.0, and we can't bring our Chamander with us :(.

But wait! We can just move this text file under our World folder in the 1.8.9 world to our new 1.10 world! Now we can have that Charmander in-game! Yay!

So... the point of this is, we won't have to restart our entire hard work when switching to a new Pixelmon or Minecraft version. The best part is that since its just text, this file is not bound by any version. You can carry your Pokemon with you throughout the versions.

2). Mentioning the problems that may occur

By now, you may have already found a couple problems with this. Players could now potentially have the liberty to cheat in their games, specifically singleplayer, by editing the file. This can be an easy fix. Here is how this can be avoided: A) Make the file hard to edit. A text file that can't normally be opened. Honestly, this isn't a REAL problem... people could just use cheats like commands regardless if they wanted to. But, if cheating is wished to be prevented by the developers, this is how.

Another problem you may have thought about is the starter selection screen upon creating a new map. Wouldn't that conflict with the file loading in new pokemon?? Well, no. The starter could just be moved to wherever is available. For instance, you use a file in which your pokemon hotbar is full. You still pick your starter, but it just gets sent to the PC instead.

3). Actually creating this

Ahh, the question everyone loves. How hard is this to make??? I'll give the simple, brutal answer: not that hard, but tedious. The developers can just make use of the already existing Configuration system and replicate it to meet this idea. It would be very time consuming, but it could work nonetheless.

As far as the game writing to the file itself, it would be best to trigger this on save, and not immediately as the change is being occurred. It would add +1-3 save time at most, depending on the code structure and the users computer.

Please post any comments, questions, or concerns down below. I appreciate feedback, and I'd love to raise awareness for this idea.

EDIT HISTORY:
- Forgot to add an "Ability" line to the example.

By bvanseghi
#179334 Are they transferable with no penalty? Thanks for the clarification.
By bvanseghi
#179591 Request to lock or delete this thread for redundancy? Thank you, moderator/developer/person/creature.
JOIN THE TEAM