By fartmasterf
Spoiler:

That is where I am as of now, not hard at all but I am just getting used to the program. I got his feet on the block, correct height according to bulbapedia, the head and eyes are from the same origin(where the head attaches to the body) so I believe that is the correct thing to do if an animation was wanted on the head(turning)? Still need to make some claws. I am mainly concerned with texturing this thing. Is there an easier way to adjust where the texture is being pulled from besides the offset arrows?

By Omerta
#27849 There isn't a way to adjust the texture besides using the offsets, unfortunately. Techne is not the most advanced program, but at least it's somewhat intuitive. Feet on the block are a good thing, but you need not worry about having the model set to the correct height . You can (and should) build the model much bigger than it will be in game because we can scale it down when it is rendered within Minecraft. Building it bigger also allows you to get better detail on the model.

You've got it right that the head (and all parts included) should share a rotation point (the blue ball) at the joint around which it will rotate. The same goes for any other pieces that should move together, meaning the claws (and all parts included) should have a rotation point at the 'shoulder.' All parts that won't move (basically the body) should share a rotation point as well. I prefer to have mine at the center of the body mass, but I'm not sure if the position really matters all that much.

Also, don't be afraid of rotated blocks. I'm mainly talking about the rock thing on its back. It's preferable to having a staircase method of making angles like you currently have it. It looks much smoother, and it will make texturing a lot easier, as you'll only really have one face of a block to texture rather than 6 per side.

Great start by the way, and be sure to ask if you have more questions. We've got a lot of experienced people with many different styles of modeling that can help you.
By zero_breaker
#27851 The shell is too short, make it taller.
Also, the body is not supposed to be seen outside of the shell, Crustle is a hermit crab after all.

Other than those nice work I say!
By lugiaisbeast101
#27958 I like where you are going with this but zero is correct, using this picture as a basis, the shell should be slightly bigger.

Also, he is also correct about the body not being seen, if you cannot see these details with the pictures, you can always try the anime or manga. This may help:

By fartmasterf
Omerta wrote:There isn't a way to adjust the texture besides using the offsets, unfortunately. Techne is not the most advanced program, but at least it's somewhat intuitive. Feet on the block are a good thing, but you need not worry about having the model set to the correct height . You can (and should) build the model much bigger than it will be in game because we can scale it down when it is rendered within Minecraft. Building it bigger also allows you to get better detail on the model.

You've got it right that the head (and all parts included) should share a rotation point (the blue ball) at the joint around which it will rotate. The same goes for any other pieces that should move together, meaning the claws (and all parts included) should have a rotation point at the 'shoulder.' All parts that won't move (basically the body) should share a rotation point as well. I prefer to have mine at the center of the body mass, but I'm not sure if the position really matters all that much.

Also, don't be afraid of rotated blocks. I'm mainly talking about the rock thing on its back. It's preferable to having a staircase method of making angles like you currently have it. It looks much smoother, and it will make texturing a lot easier, as you'll only really have one face of a block to texture rather than 6 per side.

Great start by the way, and be sure to ask if you have more questions. We've got a lot of experienced people with many different styles of modeling that can help you.

Thank you very much for the detailed comment! How much larger than in game should i make it? Does it hurt any to make it a factor of 5,10,20 or more? or is that too outrageous? and i had the blocks rotated at first but something wasnt looking right to me, i will try it again :)
By fartmasterf
zero_breaker wrote:The shell is too short, make it taller.
Also, the body is not supposed to be seen outside of the shell, Crustle is a hermit crab after all.

Other than those nice work I say!

I did not realize how his body was, thanks for the fact! I only chose him as he was blocky to begin with. As for height I did use this picture
Spoiler:

and scaled it down according to the actual height of him (1.4m) but i only made it to the top of his head(as that is what i thought it was until you corrected me) so i shall fix that! Thanks

lugiaisbeast101 wrote:I like where you are going with this but zero is correct, using this picture as a basis, the shell should be slightly bigger.
Spoiler:

Also, he is also correct about the body not being seen, if you cannot see these details with the pictures, you can always try the anime or manga. This may help:

Spoiler:

Thank you for the picture! the second one really helped! I now see what you are saying. I didn't even know what this pokemon was. I stopped watching the anime after the johto episodes and didnt really play the ds games
By Ewcongogamer
#27993 As long as the proportions are correct its fine, you can make the model as large as you want they can scale it down.
By lugiaisbeast101
#28055 Hahaha I don't watch the newest ones anymore, they piss me off, I'd rather watch the old ones. I simply go on YouTube and search up the Pokémon rather than Google, helps me with the model, but the texture is best to be left to the latest pictures.
By fartmasterf
#28061 Don't yell if I'm stupid but can I do this? Or will that blank texture always stay on top?
Spoiler:

Sorry for all the questions :D the only 3D modeling I have done was Solidworks/AutoCad/Solidedge and never needed a texture to be added.

EDIT: don't think i am making it like this! i realize the corners would look like shite when finished i just made it as an example to show my texture question
By lugiaisbeast101
#28067 As far as I know it won't be visible in Minecraft, I highlight it and delete that certain section to be safe, but no, it won't show. If I'm wrong, I'll be corrected soon enough. I mean, look at this model:
Spoiler:

This model has the white yet its invisible in game, just make sure to get the other side white as well.

Edit: My answer is most likely accurate based on all of the other models having blank textures and more experienced modelers saying it's fine. Anyways, they would tell you about it when its done, if have questions to ask, ask them.
JOIN THE TEAM