By MissingNoL
#59092 Alright, I got impatient with waiting for replies, so I asked my friends and they said that the bumps are fine and that I should now fine tune them.
Unfortunately, I think I'm encountering the 'Y rotation bug.' According to Harbringer, one part of what I have to do to fill in the gaps is use four pieces at a Y of multiples of 45. You can see that the top bump reflects this. However, when I do this for any other bump (such as the top-left one), this happens:
Spoiler:
It's like it changes where the ball is relative to the model. Does anyone have any sort of advice? This is truly annoying, and I can't make progress like this. All I will be able to do is work on the middle bump and texture.

By Sundial_MC
#59122 I also am encountering that problem recently - really frustrating, especially when you're trying to copy something. I haven't found a solution to this bug, I manually find the perfect angle (which takes an absurdly long time, unfortunately) myself.

Techne last updated AGES ago, and I had thought that they did something about this - sadly, no.
By Harbinger
#60142 Wouldn't using the same method as the top ball work for side ones, keeping exactly same angles and just offset it out more. So basically the top would become the top right slope. I'll make an example if your unsure what I mean lol.
By MissingNoL
Harbinger wrote:Wouldn't using the same method as the top ball work for side ones, keeping exactly same angles and just offset it out more. So basically the top would become the top right slope. I'll make an example if your unsure what I mean lol.
Are you saying that I should copy the balls, but instead of rotating all pieces by 60 or doing it manually, that I should just move the balls into place? It would be a lot easier, but I'm not sure of how much better or worse it would look.
On a side note, I wish I was as good as you at modelling these things XD Do you have knowledge in mechanical drafting or CADD by any chance?
By Harbinger
MissingNoL wrote:Are you saying that I should copy the balls, but instead of rotating all pieces by 60 or doing it manually, that I should just move the balls into place? It would be a lot easier, but I'm not sure of how much better or worse it would look.
On a side note, I wish I was as good as you at modelling these things XD Do you have knowledge in mechanical drafting or CADD by any chance?

Lol thanks, yeah that's it. From what I can picture in my head it should look alright but I may be wrong. I'm not sure what mechanical drafting or CADD is however.
By MissingNoL
Harbinger wrote:Lol thanks, yeah that's it. From what I can picture in my head it should look alright but I may be wrong. I'm not sure what mechanical drafting or CADD is however.
Bah, it just seems like you would've known about that stuff. Pretty much, it's just designing mechanical parts and buildings and the like. Also, UNGH:
Spoiler:
EDIT: And with that, I'm switching to Blender. I originally chose Techne due to its simplicity. The hardest part in my opinion is just learning the controls (and not having an external mouse; maybe I can hook up my arcade stick to do it for me...), but the program is very similar to AutoCAD, which makes it much, much easier. I should be done with the model soon.
By MissingNoL
#61275 Proudly presenting... Spolier alert! It's in a Blender!
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
SPG made that fine woman of a sphere. It's also Techne quality to boot. As you may have noticed, the other spheres aren't there yet, but it's as simple as duplicating and rotating. I fear not the sizes and positioning of the pieces, and if no one has anyone problems with it either, I'll just leave it at that.
The reason why I haven't done this is because I've just discovered that Bronzor's eyes actually pop out from his body a bit, as seen here:
Spoiler:
However, it's round, meaning I can just use part of that super-awesome sphere SPG made. I'm trying to figure out how I can do this, though, so if anyone can show and/or tell me how to, it would be much appreciated.
By Css1234567890123
#61283 This is definately a model that would need to be done in Blender, in Techne it would just take ages and countless hours of frustration. I like the one in blender much more than the techne one, it looks way nicer.
By MissingNoL
Css1234567890123 wrote:This is definately a model that would need to be done in Blender, in Techne it would just take ages and countless hours of frustration. I like the one in blender much more than the techne one, it looks way nicer.
Thank you, Css! What's funny is that in Techne it did take ages and countless hours. The only hard part about Blender was sitting there and trying to figure out the controls for two hours.
I've deemed the bumps to be accurate, but the body was too thick, so it's been thinned. The only thing now is the eyes, and I will post an update later on (that will probably come with a plea for help). And with the new modeling rules, that means that I'm going to have to make a Bronzong, too. I've already got somewhat of a gameplan going on for that one, though...
By MissingNoL
#61450 Alright guys. I'm not sure if this is something I should be worrying about, but I would like to know. I'm trying to determine which way these spheres (read some posts before this one on the sphere disclaimer) should be rotated. The first set has none of them rotated, while the second set has them rotated in a way that seems logical. Also, this is my current progress on it; I'm still trying to determine how to tackle the eyes, so I'd enjoy some words of wisdom on that one.
First Set | Show
ImageImageImageImage
Second Set | Show
ImageImageImageImage
EDIT: It appears that the second set has taken the cake! I've updated the first post to reflect this.
JOIN THE TEAM