By CritsAreFair
#203938 Hey, I'm here to pitch an idea for a new plugin/sidemod. Sorry if this isn't the place for it, I swear there used to be a dedicated section for sidemod suggestions but I think it got deleted when the mod was shut down. I'd try to make this myself but I have zero experience coding anything, so there's no way I could do it.

The idea is fundamentally simple; a Pixelmon-based factions PvP plugin (or sidemod). Pixelmon-PvP Factions hybrid servers have been tried before, and honestly they're a terrible idea for the fact that vanilla PvP combat and pixelmon do not mesh well at all, and Pixelmon is largely a pointless distraction when combined with Factions anyways. That being said, I think the idea of a Pixelmon factions system has a ton of potential, however the "combat" should be based on Pixelmon, not on Minecraft PvP.

Anyone who has played Minecraft has probably played Factions at some point, and anyone who has played Factions probably knows that Factions uses a power system for claiming and maintaining land. Each player has a number of power points (10 by default, if I remember correctly), and each power point allows their faction to claim another chunk of land. If they die, they lose some power points, which will slowly regenerate over time. They also slowly lose power points if they're offline for longer than a certain period of time. If a faction's total power points drops below their number of land claims, rival factions can begin to steal their land. So, in order to raid enemies, you need to kill members of their faction until they no longer have sufficient power to hold their claims.

I propose a similar system for this theoretical plugin, however, instead of losing power on death, a player should lose power when losing a PvP battle to another player (could be configurable to also lose power if losing to a wild Pokemon or NPC?). That alone isn't enough though, as players can simply refuse to battle you, or hole themselves up so you can't reach them in the first place.

Therefore I also suggest some sort of challenge system be used, where you may use a command to issue a challenge to a player. They then have, say, 60 seconds to prepare for battle and accept your challenge. If they ignore your challenge, it counts as a defeat and they lose power. You should have to be within a certain range of the player in order to challenge them (say, 30 blocks). This prevents you from harassing people with challenges from across the map, but also allows you to challenge players who are trying to hide inside their base and avoid fighting.

If a player loses a challenge, they should have a grace period (3-5 minutes by default maybe?) where they can't be challenged again. If they win a challenge, the challenger should be unable to challenge anyone else for a short period of time as well. Certain areas should be able to be designated as "safe zones" where challenges can't be issued. There should also be plenty of configurability, such as the length of grace periods, amount of power each player has, amount of time players have to prepare for challenges, and which clauses and battle settings are used for challenges.

Obviously this is a rather rough idea and the details need to be hammered out, but I think the general concept of Pixelmon-based faction wars is very doable and has potential to be a great plugin or sidemod, and as far as I'm aware nothing similar to this currently exists.

By XpanD
#203939 I love the idea of something like this (and have tried somewhat similar things myself in the past), but I think it's too big of a thing for anybody to pick up without being commissioned for it, or without having a huge server for it to run on. (in which case it'd likely end up private, anyways)

If you want to make this happen, your best bet probably would be to take up Java. Learn the basics, see if you can get some stuff running from there. With a bit of luck we'll have public Pixelmon docs out at that time (not sure if this is happening yet, but there was talk of this before) which should make moving over to Pixelmon a bit easier. Commissioning the plugin, as mentioned, might also be an option, although it'd probably get pretty expensive.

Here's hoping we'll see something like this at some point!
JOIN THE TEAM